Bashster

External USB Hubs

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi all,

My Pi comes with 2 usb outlets which I use for the keyboard and the mouse. But I now need to get the wireless up and running for which I plan to use one of the many usb cards I've accumulated over the years. This obviously requires an extra usb connection, so I hooked up a powered 4-port hub to one of the Pi's 2 outlets and the keyboard, mouse and wireless stick are all now connected off it. Problem is, neither the keyboard nor the mouse will work at all. I'm using a 2A supply to the hub, so power's not the issue here. I also tried substituting a different powered hub in case the first was faulty, but it makes no difference. If I run 'lsusb' the powered hub itself and the wireless card are listed, but nothing about the keyboard or mouse. However I swap things around, it seems the keyboard and mouse will not work unless they're connected directly to the Pi's own usb sockets. What's going on here? Any ideas? :?:

Cloudcentric

Re: External USB Hubs

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 pm

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals is the hub on the verified list ?
I know everything about nothing"

Bashster

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:51 pm

It seems from these lists you've kindly linked to that in many cases one still needs to know the chipset inside the hubs. Is there a way to interrogate a device to find this bit of info out? Also it would be rather handy to know the key combination to get a terminal up in Raspbian for when the mouse is out of action...

Cloudcentric

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:24 pm

On the command line type

lsusb -v | more

and press enter to show a list of recognised devices.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/lsusb
I know everything about nothing"

Bashster

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:53 pm

That command shows the following:

First entry is marked simply as "Hub"
Second is "Linux Foundation Root Hub"
Third is Standard Microsystems / Vendor specific class
Fourth: BehaviourTech Corp. Human Interface Device / Keyboard
Fifth: Alcor Micro Corp. USB Hub
Last one: Netgear wireless etc...etc..

This listing was done with the keyboard plugged in direct to the Pi and the mouse connected, along with the wireless, via the external powered hub. When I swapped the mouse into the Pi and the keyboard into the ext. hub the keyboard no longer worked so no listing was possible this way around.

Any ideas? Getting late here now so I won't be around much longer and will check again tomorrow...

Bashster

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 pm

BTW, useful command that one! Must try to remember it.
Sorry I couldn't post the full listing verbatim, but the problem I'm having with lack of usb availbility makes that er, "difficult" to say the least.

Bashster

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 am

That gave me the simple idea of plugging in a memory stick to the external hub. The system was able to access it no problem. So it can see the memory stick and the wireless stick when they're plugged into the hub, but not the keyboard nor the mouse. But the keyboard and mouse are just fine when plugged directly into the Pi's usb sockets....
Weird. I'm off to bed! can't think straight anymore...

Bashster

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Fixed! Just a case of substituting different hubs until one was found that recognised all the peripherals I need to attach. Lucky I have a good relationship with the bloke who runs our local computer shop :D

Return to “General discussion”