abishur

Re: Post your estimated arrival dates

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:42 pm

mcb1 said:

It would be nice if someone could give Element14 NZ/AUS a prod.

A couple days ago, Liz said that they would be getting in contact with them early next week so hopefully we'll have some more updated information to run with
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

raspi

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:51 pm

I had a nice chat with Farnell UK yesterday.

'How is my March 12th week Raspberry Pi order coming on. I asked'.

'Oh yeah, we had someone from them come in last week. They said to say some time in July.'

'So you aren't going to get any of the 5,000 of the first batch and send those out then?'.

'It's five hundred, we are only going to get 500.'

'No, it's 5,000 and I'm supposed to be on the list for one'.

'No, only 500 and they are going to wait and do a huge batch because of all the orders and so we are told it's July and it's up the Raspberry Pi lot really'.

'We have got about 65,000 orders'.

'I thought it was more like 200,000. So you aren't going to manufacture any yourself ?'

'A lot of people have cancelled. Oh no, we are just a distributor, it's down to them'.

'Okay.'

mole125

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:09 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the 500 figure is the number that element14 allocated to the UK - they sell in at least 10 territories so an even split doesn't leave much for any individual one.

Still a shame they are waiting and not dispatching asap though.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:42 am

My credit card got pinged by Newark U.S. for two $1.00 holds on Friday! That strongly suggests that they are seriously close to charging my card for the actual purchase when my (mine! All MINE!!! ) board will reportedly ship this coming Friday, March 30th, according to the order submission update I received from them earlier last week! I was hoping that the two holds indicated that they might accidentally ship me two boards, but, there"s still only one back-ordered in my "in processing" order on the website. If I do somehow manage to wind up with two boards, don"t worry, I"ll put the second one up on ePrey ... with a starting bid of one mmmbillion dollars! Mwbaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa!! Dr. Evil ain"t got nothin" on me!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

AlexPT

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:12 am

raspi said:

'Oh yeah, we had someone from them come in last week. They said to say some time in July.'

'So you aren't going to get any of the 5,000 of the first batch and send those out then?'.

'No, only 500 and they are going to wait and do a huge batch because of all the orders and so we are told it's July and it's up the Raspberry Pi lot really'.

'I thought it was more like 200,000. So you aren't going to manufacture any yourself ?'

'A lot of people have cancelled. Oh no, we are just a distributor, it's down to them'.

'Okay.'

I do hope that 500 are for one country, and not global distribution.

Because would be lame they sell 500, and put all the others on waiting.

The 200.000 we already know was not true, that number need to be divide by 2.

Because 99% register 2x(RS/Farnell), and some even more, whit multiple mails.

But RS should have less orders, because they only began accepting orders 2/3 weeks after.

poing

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:58 am

? l ? x said:

The 200.000 we already know was not true, that number need to be divide by 2.

Because 99% register 2x(RS/Farnell), and some even more, whit multiple mails.

But RS should have less orders, because they only began accepting orders 2/3 weeks after.

'We' don't know any such thing. Firstly those with double orders likely take two, unless RS/Farnell compare order names. Secondly two weeks after 'Pi-day' RS claimed orders still coming in @ 10/minute, which equates to around 14400 per day or almost 30000 for the two combined.

bwoodbury

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:49 pm

If the following comments from Abishur on the front page discussion about compliance testing are correct then all bets for the shipping date on the first 10k boards may be off

Abishur on March 24, 2012 at 3:28 am said:

“I believe it’s been told that one if not both distributors have decided to not release the first 10K until they can release a huge batch (a fact which I think is lame and defeating the whole point of getting the first batch… but what are you gonna do?)”

Abishur on March 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm said:

“but due to how many boards there are being ordered and the fact that the first 10K will be released with the main bulk release”

DynaMight

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:20 pm

I ordered from Farnell UK on 4th March, and latest update as of 20th March is I'll get it end of May.

Thats not a long wait, I dont know how many have heard of the Open Pandora (Linux handheld) but I ordered that... and paid in full in Sept 2008!! and finally got it in March 2011. I ordered within 4hrs of preorder, people who ordered later still havent received theirs! It is a nice device tho

bwoodbury

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:37 pm

bwoodbury said:

If the following comments from Abishur on the front page discussion about compliance testing are correct then all bets for the shipping date on the first 10k boards may be off

“I believe it’s been told that one if not both distributors have decided to not release the first 10K until they can release a huge batch (a fact which I think is lame and defeating the whole point of getting the first batch… but what are you gonna do?)”

“but due to how many boards there are being ordered and the fact that the first 10K will be released with the main bulk release”

And a much appreciated reply - so maybe my April 3 ship date from Element 14 isn't dead quite yet

Abishur on March 25, 2012 at 3:40 pm said:

Arg, I saw it on one of the distributor’s site but now I can’t find the original source to my info. I also try to make it well known that I take things from them with a grain of salt, but sometimes I’m in a hurry and forget to word it in the right way to express my uncertainty of that piece of info (sorry)

abishur

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:38 pm

raspi said:

'Okay.'

I'm not sure how much of that information I'd trust since we already know that the whole point of the licensing with the RS and Farnell was to allow them to directly manufacture the boards... I have heard the same thing about waiting to release the boards until they can do a bulk release, but I'm trying to track down a legit source before I put too much faith in it. I didn't mean to say fact in that second comment @bwoodbury linked to, I was in a hurry and need to make a reply letting people know my mistake.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:31 pm

raspi said:

"How is my March 12th week Raspberry Pi order coming on. I asked".

"Oh yeah, we had someone from them come in last week. They said to say some time in July."

"So you aren"t going to get any of the 5,000 of the first batch and send those out then?".

"It"s five hundred, we are only going to get 500."

"No, it"s 5,000 and I"m supposed to be on the list for one".

"No, only 500 and they are going to wait and do a huge batch because of all the orders and so we are told it"s July and it"s up the Raspberry Pi lot really".

"We have got about 65,000 orders".

"I thought it was more like 200,000. So you aren"t going to manufacture any yourself ?"

"A lot of people have cancelled. Oh no, we are just a distributor, it"s down to them".

"Okay."

Abishur said:

I"m not sure how much of that information I"d trust since we already know that the whole point of the licensing with the RS and Farnell was to allow them to directly manufacture the boards... I have heard the same thing about waiting to release the boards until they can do a bulk release, but I"m trying to track down a legit source before I put too much faith in it. I didn"t mean to say fact in that second comment @bwoodbury linked to, I was in a hurry and need to make a reply letting people know my mistake.

It makes absolutely no business sense for the distributors to sit on ~$350,000 worth of product waiting for the next batch of boards to be produced, especially given today"s economies, or lack thereof. They"re going to want that capital to fund future production. I doubt that the parts have even been sourced, much less acquired, for future production at the 100,000 unit level, yet, given that no one even knows how many firm orders there are, as there certainly have been duplicate orders across RS and Farnell, and there are going to be cancellations. While it makes sense for developers to pay a premium to ship one board at a time, few others are going to pay that premium for more than one board, especially if they"re just going to try to flip them on ePrey for as much as possible. Few are going to be foolish enough to pay inflated amounts for what will be (since no customers have a production board ... yet ... ever? ) a low-cost, relatively low-performance bare-board computer (and licensing/source-hobbled, at that - one of the reasons for the low cost, BTW). There will be a few who will pay too much for two, or more boards, perhaps developers and accessory makers who snoozed or gave up on UnLaunch Day, but, not that many.

Since Abishur doesn"t work for RS or Farnell, much less the Foundation (I wonder when the Empire and Second Foundation will appear, along with the Mule? ) we can take his speculations with one sodium atom and one chlorine atom, i.e., the tiniest grain of salt possible. I really wish he would stop such rash pontifications, especially since he can"t produce valid references/quotes. I know the admins can"t resist responding in yet-more posts devoid of any meaningful information about the status of our orders, but, please stop, you"re only making things worse. When the Foundation spokesperson who"s actually been talking to the distributors (Liz) can provide definitive information, then we"ll have something on which we can hang our hats, coats, umbrellas, galoshes, slickers, etc. Although, given the track record of Farnell and RS so far, even that may need to be taken with sodium and chlorine at the single-atom level

Help us ObiLiz! You"re our only hope!

lb

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:53 pm

More importantly, the first run was supposed to end up in the hands of tinkerers, developers and testers, to work out the kinks and issues of software and hardware. If they're held back like that, it will be quite harmful for the later educational launch.

In other news, Farnell told me the expected delivery date: week 32! I ordered right an hour after launch, when the DoS was getting better...

jamodio

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Newbie said:

Where is the "Like" button !!

abishur

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Newbie said:

Since Abishur doesn"t work for RS or Farnell, much less the Foundation (I wonder when the Empire and Second Foundation will appear, along with the Mule? ) we can take his speculations with one sodium atom and one chlorine atom, i.e., the tiniest grain of salt possible. I really wish he would stop such rash pontifications, especially since he can"t produce valid references/quotes. I know the admins can"t resist responding in yet-more posts devoid of any meaningful information about the status of our orders, but, please stop, you"re only making things worse. When the Foundation spokesperson who"s actually been talking to the distributors (Liz) can provide definitive information, then we"ll have something on which we can hang our hats, coats, umbrellas, galoshes, slickers, etc. Although, given the track record of Farnell and RS so far, even that may need to be taken with sodium and chlorine at the single-atom level

I like how you swapped the order of posts around to make it look like the guy quoting my front page comments came after I made the statement that I missed typed on the second comment he quoted.

I especially like how you took the exact same thing I said (Need to take it with a grain of salt until I can track down my reference) and make it sound like it was some great revelation of your own.

It constantly surprises me when people try to denounce the things I say only to have the RPF turn around and say "he's right" you'd think sooner or later people would figure out that I don't just going spouting off my mouth.  I give consistently reliable information on this process.

hippy

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Newbie said:

It makes absolutely no business sense for the distributors to sit on ~$350,000 worth of product waiting for the next batch of boards to be produced
It could make business sense seeing as the 10K batch were built wrongly and need repairing, and nothing can be done with them until repaired and compliance tested anyway.

It may make sense to write those off and get on with compliance testing and getting the much bigger build done. The "500" may actually be some of the 10K now hand repaired before such a decision was made.

All speculation on my part but a company I worked for did similar things, albeit on a smaller scale than we're expecting R-Pi batches to be. Sometimes it's better in the long term to take a hit short term, cut one's losses or side-step difficulties, and move forward.

jamodio

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:55 am

hippy said:

It could make business sense seeing as the 10K batch were built wrongly and need repairing, and nothing can be done with them until repaired and compliance tested anyway.

It may make sense to write those off and get on with compliance testing and getting the much bigger build done. The "500" may actually be some of the 10K now hand repaired before such a decision was made.

Do you have the gut feeling that a major part of the first batch got scrapped ?

rmm200

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:25 am

Actually I have the gut feeling that none of them were scrapped.

Do you have any actual information or is that just your feeling?

TehTux

Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:51 am

Just spoken to element14 Ausrtalia. I ordered on the 13th of March and I've got an end of October delivery date, which is an approximate. "It's what the supplier has given us" was the quote from the phone operator.

I was told that it will be July for the first orders and the next batch will be October.

I ordered two only to find one has been deleted. The price hasn't been updated though I was told not to worry and that I wouldn't be overcharged. I did think after the initial 10,000 (which I know I missed out on) the '1 per household' would cease, though it seems that this will go on for longer (note, the FAQ may have already been updated to now state this).

I've had no emails (apart from spam), though I was told to use the 'Community' links on their website and that I shouldn't expect to get emails regarding my order from element14 Australia.

Regarding October - really? Over 6 months after the paper-release? Regardless who is at fault for the somewhat-failed-release, I think everyone involved (including us, the customers) have learnt valuable lessons - I really do hope so.

zfh10

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:54 am

October?!!!?  WTF?! That's 7 months away!

Oh, I'm rapidly losing enthusiasm for RasPi now.  Maybe I'll look for something else

When there is a large and guaranteed demand/market, there's no excuse to for delays of that magnitude IMHO

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:53 am

hippy said:

jamodio said:

Do you have the gut feeling that a major part of the first batch got scrapped ?

People making these kinds of ridiculous comments obviously have no experience in volume consumer electronics manufacturing (although, given Western governments" collusion with corporate drones to move manufacturing wholesale to China, etc., it"s not surprising that few people know anything about manufacturing any more). The cost to rework the incorrect Ethernet connectors and retest the boards should be around/under $1.00 a board at typical Chinese volume manufacturing rates (the entire manufacturing, testing, and packaging labor cost for an iPad is around $6.00). Plus, the cost of the corrections and shipping both ways will be eaten by the Chinese manufacturer, not the Foundation or distributors. So, no, the erroneous boards aren"t going to be scrapped.

As for holding the first 10,000 boards until volume production gets going, that"s at least a month away, and the distributors aren"t going to sit on a third of a million dollars in sellable products, period. The compliance testing is not legally required, even in the EU, as has been posted elsewhere. It is strongly recommended for manufacturers to do so for reasons of consumer dissatisfaction if interference is a problem, but, it"s not legally required for digital consumer devices with frequencies over 300 MHz that are not toys or radio transmitters/receivers. Obviously, RS, Farnell, and their partners don"t want to risk a bunch of returns due to gross-level interference issues, so, they"re asking to see the compliance test results, which should be known this week, and there"s good reason to believe they will be favorable.

People really need to throttle back on this kind of wild speculation. If they"d stay busy by downloading, installing, and running the R-Pi emulator, and using the software to develop educational material and documentation for kids, everyone would be much better off now and down the road.

TehTux

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 am

zfh10 said:

Oh, I'm rapidly losing enthusiasm for RasPi now.

I'm afraid to say it, though I'm also losing the enthusiasm I had for the project.

Granted I'm not the target audience or align with the purpose of the RPF (I'm a 32 year old software developer that's passionate about everything IT) though the excitement that I've had for this project cannot be maintained for another 7 months until I receive my single RPi.

I wish RPF all the best as they have noble aims, I just wish it was played out differently.

hippy

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:46 am

rmm200 said:

Actually I have the gut feeling that none of them were scrapped.

Do you have any actual information or is that just your feeling?

No, as I said "All speculation on my part", but based upon past experience in similar circumstances.

$350K is a large sum to write-off, but it's a smaller part of a $3.5 million 100K build if that goes ahead. If economy of scale means a 10% or more profit from those it could cover writing those parts off. The write-off cost of the 10K batch may be less if there is insurance covering that and the Chinese assembler may be the one taking the hit here. If the 10K batch aren't at Farnell nor RS they won't be suffering any loss, aren't sitting on anything.

Perhaps it's 'set-aside for now' rather than written off, but the impression I got from the reported conversation is that they are concentrating on getting a big build done after compliance testing. Only those in the know can actually tell us what's going on.

I was only noting that taking a $350K hit can sometimes make business sense.

naicheben

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:11 am

Could you all please get backt to the topic!

I'm looking into this thread to read about news regarding the ETA. So please no more speculation and cristal ball stuff here.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 am

Given the manufacturing foul up over the Ethernet sockets and the decision by Farnell and RS to proceed with full compliance tests, I have a feeling that all bets are off regarding delivery dates.

Pending further information from the Foundation as to the situation regarding the "first batch" and subsequent volume production I propose to lock this thread.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Return to “General discussion”