alvin

Re: Post your estimated arrival dates

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 pm

I ordered during launch day at Farnell New Zealand and haven't received any confirmation delivery date yet!  how can people who just ordered a few weeks ago or even this just this week would have an estimated delivery date?

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:04 pm

alvin said:

I ordered during launch day at Farnell New Zealand and haven't received any confirmation delivery date yet!  how can people who just ordered a few weeks ago or even this just this week would have an estimated delivery date?

Have you received any e-mail from them yet?  If not (and there's nothing in your junk e-mail folder) then check your account on Farnell and make sure it actually went through.  It's possible that your order failed due to the server issues they were having.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

alvin

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi Abishur,

thanks for your post.  my account says backorder.  I emailed them and can't give any "estimated" date.  is the first come, first served thing only applies to the UK?  and the rest of us, esp. those halfway around the world(AU/NZ), will just have to wait for the next batch?

I know the Pi is delayed and don't have a problem with that.  I'm just surprised with others who just ordered a few weeks ago or even just this week to have an estimated delivery date.

cheers!

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Hmm... there might be an issue with mailing specifically to AU/NZ.  I know there was some issue about that.  I know Liz will be talking to them early next week so there might be some information there, but beyond that you need to get a hold of Farnell and information from them.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

tony maddonna

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:58 pm

March 30th.  Although I may not hold my breath.

RaTTuS

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:06 am

the 1st come 1st served is [on both farnell and RS] world wide - I got my order into Farnelll 8:19 on the 29th Feb - and I'm on Back order ...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

cnxsoft

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:10 am

Abishur said:

Hmm... there might be an issue with mailing specifically to AU/NZ.  I know there was some issue about that.  I know Liz will be talking to them early next week so there might be some information there, but beyond that you need to get a hold of Farnell and information from them.

I think the issue is about the whole Asia zone. I ordered from Element14 Singapore during the 1st hour and I haven't received any estimated delivery date yet.

cehbab

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:14 am

For AU/NZ people, I made a post 229 with their answer regarding trying to find out if AU (should have said NZ as well but I didn't) was receiving any units from the first batch and ETA's. Have to wait and see...

JimmyZ

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 am

I''m in China and ordered from Element 14 on March 1, the order still shows no ETA on their website, and they told me(by phone) its July.

And the final price(including tax and shipping) is roughly 50 USD here, which I think at some point cancel out the price advantages of RPi. Tax is sky high here in China and I can't order multiple to save shipping due to the one-per-one limit on the first batch.

Tass

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:09 pm

JimmyZ said:

I"'m in China and ordered from Element 14 on March 1, the order still shows no ETA on their website, and they told me(by phone) its July.

For most people there is no ETA displayed on the web site - it is simply showing "back order".  I've only ever received an ETA in the initial order confirmation where they sent me a PDF, and I think this is what a lot of people are referring to when they mention ETAs.  I've received no further communication from Farnell.

zoltan

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:54 pm

JimmyZ said:

And the final price(including tax and shipping) is roughly 50 USD here, which I think at some point cancel out the price advantages of RPi.

At Farnell Germany it is 41.67 €, that is around 55 USD

jrtokarz

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Just got an email update.  No delivery until week 30

Tass

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:16 pm

jrtokarz said:

Just got an email update.  No delivery until week 30

Who from - RS or Farnell?  And which country?

xciv

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Prediction: it's going to be 6 months *at least* before Pi is available to 'just order'

By 'just order' I mean add to basket, check out and delivered within a week.

Looking at some of the dates people have been quoted (eg. August) for orders being placed now and the quantities wanted (34K units in just one country) you can get an idea that production is going to have to *massively* ramp up.  Unfortunately sourcing all these components, negotiating pricing, finding production capacity, alone, are going to take a few months at least I would think, before you start production.

Never mind having been given a delivery date, some of us haven't even been able to place an order or pre-order yet, all I've managed to do is 'express an interest'.  So, those of you who have actually managed to place an order (I see some greedy people have managed to get 2 by placing orders at both RS and Farnell), never mind slipping dates, should think yourselves lucky!

I'm not having a go at RPF because the demand has been huge and I'm not sure they could have foreseen it being quite so big so quickly, just inserting a bit of reality..

Never mind I'll go and order a cubox, oh, no, also sold out… oh well.

ArborealSeer

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 pm

I only just got the RS email someone posted up like 2 days ago?

compliance testing / update about process next week etc
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

Simon H

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:26 pm

It is this bit at the the end that confuses me as no one has posted that they have been contacted "we’ve also been contacting" isn't that the past tense?

Alongside this, we’ve also been contacting the first group of people who registered for a Raspberry Pi from RS, to help us plan delivery of the initial batch of boards. In next week’s update, we’ll provide more information on how we’re managing the queue and the order process.

naicheben

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:42 pm

I also got this from RS-Germany today (17:30 GMT+1). They say that the RPi is being  tested. "compliance test"is what leo.org translate it to. I don't know what it's realy called in english. It's about CE certificate or so.

I would not think this has to be done with every single RPi, but I do belive it must be one out of the first batch.  I do not have any ETA from RS nor does my friend from Farnell (ordered 29th Feb. 7:01 – I guess first batch, but not for sure).

Steve-o

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:07 pm

I ordered 4pm on 29th march from Farnell in Germany. Now I got an email telling my the ETA is in august. Shouldn't I be further up in the queue?

grumpyoldgit

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Steve-o said:

I ordered 4pm on 29th march from Farnell in Germany. Now I got an email telling my the ETA is in august. Shouldn't I be further up in the queue?

Not unless your name is Marty McFly!

naicheben

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Just got email from Farnell Germany "Ihre Referenz-Nr.: 29/02/2012 07:01"
ETA week 32

mcb1

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Abishur said:

It would be nice if someone could give Element14 NZ/AUS a prod.

I was confirmed order at 0611 GMT and my order status is 'pending'.

I have emailed them, but they don't seem to know where in the allocation the order is, or any sort of dates.

I have sent another, but I fear it will wil wasted ones and noughts.

I don't have an issue with delivery, but if the order was in the first 5k to Element14, it would be good to have it confirmed, regardless of the actual delivery date.

Its annoying to see others who ordered well afterwards getting dates that would suggest they are in the first batch.

I'm not the only NZ/AUS Element14 customer in this situation.

If you need any further info, email me, and I can provide it.

Thanks

Mark

mcb1

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 pm

alvin said:

esp. those halfway around the world(AU/NZ), will just have to wait for the next batch?

You should remember alvin that the english exported those they didn't want to the new penal colony , they later called Australia.

I think they still have a grudge...

mark

cnxsoft

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:16 am

naicheben said:

I also got this from RS-Germany today (17:30 GMT+1). They say that the RPi is being  tested. "compliance test"is what leo.org translate it to. I don"t know what it"s realy called in english. It"s about CE certificate or so.

I would not think this has to be done with every single RPi, but I do belive it must be one out of the first batch.  I do not have any ETA from RS nor does my friend from Farnell (ordered 29th Feb. 7:01 – I guess first batch, but not for sure).

I thought they did not need CE / FCC certification for development board. But if they sell them in the 100,000s they probably have to. This will also add more delay like 1 or 2 months.

mkopack

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:35 am

Not months - not unless some major problem is found in the testing...

More like days, or 2 weeks at most...

This sort of testing is typically 2 thing:

1) check that the thing is going to burst into flames as soon as it's plugged in, burning your house down.

2) Make sure it's not just spewing out a ton of RF energy causing every radio in a 5 block radius to go crazy or be blocked...

#2 takes all of a few hours to test - the plug it in, they run various stuff on the machine, and measure the RF coming out of it.

#1 takes a bit more, and might even include several "test to failure" tests, to see what happens when it fails. Again, that shouldn't take but a few days.

Then of course there's the legal bureaucracy.

Here in the USA, all electronics go through FCC compliance testing to gain a rating and certification. Most take but a few days at most to get through (we usually see this in the form of leaks about XYZ's new product going through FCC testing a few days before the product release to the general public.

johnbeetem

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:09 pm

mkopack said:

This sort of testing is typically 2 thing:
1) check that the thing is going to burst into flames as soon as it's plugged in, burning your house down.

I believe (1 = UL certification in the USA) should only be required if the product is plugged into a 100-240 VAC outlet.  I think a low voltage 5V device like RasPi is exempt.  The external wall wart requires UL certification or equivalent, but that's not RasPi's problem.  This is a big advantage to using wall warts instead of incorporating your own AC power supply.

I was at a company that required NEBS certification so products could be used in telecom cabinets.  One of the most fun tests was that if your device caught fire, the chassis had to contain the fire so it didn't set the whole rack on fire.  They tested this by setting your board on fire with a blowtorch and then see how much the fire spreads.  Videos of this can be entertaining.

Return to “General discussion”