abishur

Re: Post your estimated arrival dates

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:26 am

ArborealSeer said:

Yawn Yawn we know all this. This has been done to death, before the 10k were even ordered many people were more than willing to pledge the money themselves.
This is now effectively whats happened anyways with RS and Farnell doing the donkey work and handling all the enquiries, and a 6-8 week delay. even the first 10k that were "almost fixed" when they disclosed the problem are still yet to materialise.

No adverts? well apart from blog posts on the biggest tech sites in the world hyping it, a constant twitter presence and even getting on the BBC 6pm news.

Everyone here and in the real world ™ could see where this was heading, either it was calculated or they were massively naive. Yes they had limited resources but there were surely better ways of doing it.

I had a fairly sarcastic response (well by my standards at any rate) queued up for this but I'll forgo that and answer your complaints.  The way they chose to release it has been very well documented.  There was no naivete nor surprise by anyone because we all knew that once preording was allowed there would be massive demand for it.  A fact which was repeatedly explained to those who wanted a preorder system but seems to have been forgotten in the aftermath.

Sadly, also being forgotten is the fact that the pre-order system despite the delay from the distributors we're all getting the boards much sooner than we would have with the RPF fronting the money for each batch on their own.

The information one the 10K boards is freely available on the front page on the site.  I can only assume you haven't read it?  I mean otherwise you'd know that they weren't almost fixed when they disclosed the problem, they were still in the process of being sent back when the problem was announced.

Further, it seems odd to blame the RPF because people, tech sites, and news people independently chose to write stories about this amazing device. I mean you're acting as if the RPF went out of their way to buy "adverts" from these people.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

EricMiddleton

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:04 am

I ordered mine on March 2nd at Newark in the US, and they are still telling me that it should arrive April 2nd. Is that a reasonable expectation given that I ordered it after thousands had already placed their orders?

RaTTuS

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 am

Eric Middleton said:

I ordered mine on March 2nd at Newark in the US, and they are still telling me that it should arrive April 2nd. Is that a reasonable expectation given that I ordered it after thousands had already placed their orders?

We don't know ....

It all depends when rs / farnell get their shipments our of the factory
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 am

Just received word from Newark/Farnell/Element 14 (U.S.) that they are ready to charge my credit card and ship my R-Pi on March 30th!  I pre-ordered on February 29th at 08:16 GMT, about two hours and 16 minutes into the fray, after continually failing to be able to get complete web pages to be served from RS and Farnell.  Newark, Allied, etc., weren't even identified as the U.S. partners at that point.  It appears that Farnell UK and Newark US coordinated my pre-order and recognized my place in the queue.  I'm guessing that, since no one else has reported their R-Pi being shipped to them yet, the original 10,000 units have been corrected in China and are en route the UK (and possibly partner distribution centers in other major markets?).

I am also surmising that the March 30th shipping date means that I will be receiving one of the coveted First 10,000 Raspberry Pi boards!  Please, oh, please, Oh, Please, OH, PLEEEEEEEASE!!!

Room has been made in my green-plastic-grass-filled, woven-veneer basket for a tasty chocolate Easter Egg with a delicious, gooey, raspberry nougat "centre"
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

ArborealSeer

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:17 am

Abishur said:

I had a fairly sarcastic response (well by my standards at any rate) queued up for this but I"ll forgo that and answer your complaints.  The way they chose to release it has been very well documented.  There was no naivete nor surprise by anyone because we all knew that once preording was allowed there would be massive demand for it.  A fact which was repeatedly explained to those who wanted a preorder system but seems to have been forgotten in the aftermath.

Sadly, also being forgotten is the fact that the pre-order system despite the delay from the distributors we"re all getting the boards much sooner than we would have with the RPF fronting the money for each batch on their own.

The information one the 10K boards is freely available on the front page on the site.  I can only assume you haven"t read it?  I mean otherwise you"d know that they weren"t almost fixed when they disclosed the problem, they were still in the process of being sent back when the problem was announced.

Further, it seems odd to blame the RPF because people, tech sites, and news people independently chose to write stories about this amazing device. I mean you"re acting as if the RPF went out of their way to buy "adverts" from these people.

You"ve completely missed the point and you"re wrong about whats on the front page.

I"ll requote you..

The information one the 10K boards is freely available on the front page on the site. I can only assume you haven"t read it? I mean otherwise you"d know that they weren"t almost fixed when they disclosed the problem,

Quote from the front page.

Happily, it’s a very minor problem to fix (desolder the dud jack/solder on a new one), and the factory is nearly done working on replacing them on the first set of boards. This means that the first tranche of boards should still go out to customers as we were expecting

I can tell you"re a nice guy, and I do deliberately ask pointed questions, but if you""re going to moderate and point people at something, at least read what it says properly instead of assuming I haven"t read it.

Apology please.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

Tass

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:44 am

ArborealSeer said:

Happily, it’s a very minor problem to fix (desolder the dud jack/solder on a new one), and the factory is nearly done working on replacing them on the first set of boards. This means that the first tranche of boards should still go out to customers as we were expecting

You're of course assuming that by "first set of boards" they mean the first 10K.  How do you know they don't mean the first 1K that the decided to fix, ship back to the UK and test to make sure that the "fix" was actually correct?  That would sound like a good approach to me, rather than fixing all 10K, shipping them all back, just to discover another problem.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:02 am

That is conceivable, but woudl have been rather disingenuous.

Alchemy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 am

Seems likely another factory could make the boards before the first factory do.

I hope RS and E14 aren't waiting for them. The first factory should not be given power over the project for just 10k of boards.

Casalor

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:26 am

Anyway, back on topic.

Casalor said:

Further info for the UK. Just spoke to a helpful lady at Farnell and she said they had a current ETA of ... July due to production problems. I said I'd managed to get my order in quite early on launch day so she replied that in that case it mightbe june (yipee).
However, she advised ringing up every few weeks to get a better ETA.

Slightly disappointed, but what can you do?

Small update: Just rang Farnell UK again and was told that the estimated shipping date for all Pi's (this is worldwide and not just the UK) will be July. Reading between the lines I got the feeling this was a worst case approach. I was told that rather than send out batches in dribs and drabs they would hold back and ship en masse with the UK probably first.

Amazingly, they are sourcing parts and production facilities and are looking to negotiate a build of 500,000 units. [If RS had been taking orders I bet they would be in the same position and, I wonder, might be on the back foot when it comes to finding parts/factories].

Bear in mind this is the result of a nice and friendly call to a sales advisor I can't corroborate any of this anecdotal evidence.

Again, I'd like to be proved wrong on shipping dates.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:33 am

I think you will be; that makes no sense to me. Why annoy customers when they could be shipping? Why refuse money that could be sitting in the bank? And why ship 500,000 units at once when shipping fewer will allow the first customers to find any bugs that they and the RPF have missed?

Casalor

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:40 am

rurwin said:

I think you will be; that makes no sense to me. Why annoy customers when they could be shipping? Why refuse money that could be sitting in the bank? And why ship 500,000 units at once when shipping fewer will allow the first customers to find any bugs that they and the RPF have missed?

That all occurred to me as well. However, I was told that their advised shipping date - to be given to customers - would be July so there was no point arguing with the guy.

Hopefully you're right and I'm wrong!

Simon H

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:04 am

Casalor said:

rurwin said:

That all occurred to me as well. However, I was told that their advised shipping date - to be given to customers - would be July so there was no point arguing with the guy.

Hopefully you're right and I'm wrong!

Could it be the ship date for new order? The call center person just quoted the only date they have for RPi I am guessing and not because they have been briefed on the First batch second lot etc etc etc.

Casalor

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 am

Simon H said:

Could it be the ship date for new order? The call center person just quoted the only date they have for RPi I am guessing and not because they have been briefed on the First batch second lot etc etc etc.
Well, I gave my order confirmation number before the word Pi was even mentioned so he must have had my order details on the screen in front of him. The fact that he gave the standard July date implies (to my mind anyway) that there was no ETA on my order at all (my original order conrfirmation gave a w/c 12th MArch).

Simon H

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:26 am

Casalor said:

Simon H said:

Well, I gave my order confirmation number before the word Pi was even mentioned so he must have had my order details on the screen in front of him. The fact that he gave the standard July date implies (to my mind anyway) that there was no ETA on my order at all (my original order conrfirmation gave a w/c 12th MArch).

Someone quoted that Newark had sent an email saying theres was being shipped 30th March so maybe the americans are getting all the first batch?

I think Ebon was the other person on the grassy knoll, Liz works for Area 51 and Gert kidnapped Lord Lucan personally

I think we have just got to wait and see, I also had a 12th March date and got a Interest form into RS just after 6am so I will see which one turns up first and if I get both one will be going to a good friend that missed out on release day.

drgeoff

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:18 pm

That Raspberry Pis don't exist is becoming easier to believe than the theory that NASA never put men on the moon but faked it all.  Plenty of people thought the latter true.  :-)

(More in case anyone is convinced I'm being totally serious.)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Tass

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:22 pm

drgeoff said:

...the theory that NASA never put men on the moon but faked it all

Especially seeing this has been proven false by photographic evidence!! (poke )

Alchemy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Tass said:

Especially seeing this has been proven false by photographic evidence!! (poke )

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:07 pm

ArborealSeer said:

You"ve completely missed the point and you"re wrong about whats on the front page.

I"ll requote you..

The information one the 10K boards is freely available on the front page on the site. I can only assume you haven"t read it? I mean otherwise you"d know that they weren"t almost fixed when they disclosed the problem,

Quote from the front page.

I can tell you"re a nice guy, and I do deliberately ask pointed questions, but if you""re going to moderate and point people at something, at least read what it says properly instead of assuming I haven"t read it.

Apology please.

Hard to see how I "completely missed the point" when all I did was address specific things you said in your post, perhaps you meant to sate your point more clearly than your did?

And I do read things before I point people at them.  From the beginning I've done my homework, that's why they made me a forum admin from the first days of the forum.  I'm also the sort of guy who expects a lot out of people who come in waving the "I know better" flag or making insulting accusations in general, I especially expect them to be able to look at the post you quoted see that they specifically talk about the first batch at the beginning of the post, talk about a "set" later, and then start talking about second batches and go "hey, we're dealing with two different animals here, they're clearly using two different words to refer to two different groups".  I don't expect this from Joe Schmoe asking things nicely, but I do expect this from the aggressive accuser which, regardless of your intentions, is how you have come off.

budda9

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Just got my Element 14 response, current expected ship date is August 10th.

I might forget about it by then! When it arrives it will be a nice surprise!

jmhalder

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Am I crazy? When I look at my order history, and then click on the PO number, it shows a est. ship date of April, 02, 2012. Is this not accurate for some reason? I'm sure it probably isn't, but I can't be bothered to read 18 pages of speculation. I ordered late on the launch date from Newark (US).
http://i.imgur.com/sNyiZ.jpg

grumpyoldgit

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:07 pm

It might be worth checking your spam folder. Many, including myself, have found follow up emails in there.

nicknml

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:47 pm

I did an online chat with customer service (Newark)and they are still giving me an expected ship date of April 13th.

grumpyoldgit

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Then you are doing really well.

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:08 pm

I've been ignoring anything from the distribs.  There's been a lot of "oops, that information was a mistake" from them.  The RPF is doing a really good job staying in contact with them, and as information changes they are fairly quick to talk to them and then provide us with reliable facts (translation, until it shows up on the front page here, I'm taking information from them with a grain of salt )

johnbeetem

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Slightly off-topic, but there's a new post at element14.com:

Raspberry Pi online drawing

For anyone attending the upcoming Embedded Systems Conference - DESIGN West show in San Jose, California [26 March - 29 March] there will be live demos of Raspberry Pi as well as daily drawings from the Newark element14 booth... For anyone not able to join in person, join the fun on-line for a giveaway of a free Raspberry Pi.

So there will be at least one RasPi in the New World next week.  I was going to ESC anyway, but this is an added treat.  Probably my best chance to get a RasPi any time soon

Return to “General discussion”