Orion4874

Re: Post your estimated arrival dates

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:00 am

Ordered mine on March 7th from Newark and is expected to ship on April 3rd. Can't wait!

Hopefully the actual arrival date won't be too much longer after that, that is of course it actually ships on the 3rd.

Montala

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Orion4874 said:

Ordered mine on March 7th from Newark and is expected to ship on April 3rd. Can't wait!

Hopefully the actual arrival date won't be too much longer after that, that is of course it actually ships on the 3rd.

That's not bad at all... I am in the UK and ordered one on the same date, but am being quoted early June for despatch.

I suppose it can't be helped, but it does seem rather unfair.

thepete

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Ordered mine the day before Pi day and expected ship date is the first day of August. Honestly, I did chortle at the wait time. I'm either going to be freaking out with excitement at the end of July or just tired of thinking about it. But regardless, I don't blame anybody.  I am a veteran of the OLPC XO-1 Get One Give One debacle of 2007.  There were folks who ordered on the first day who got their XO six months later than expected. Those of us that got them sooner still had to wait an extra 3-4 weeks beyond the original date and the folks at OLPC really didn't do a great job of keeping us informed, either.  We had no idea when our XOs would ship or even how. Fed Ex? UPS? DHL? No idea.  But I didn't blame them either. They were a non-profit with no experience with this sort of and got overwhelmed fast.  Of course, we spent $400 on the XO-1, so folks who have to wait a while for their $35 RPi should really just relax.

repvik

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:03 am

Got this in a mail on friday:

"Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around mid-April. You are one of the first people in the world who will get their hands on a Raspberry Pi Model B. Congratulations."

I also placed a second order after the first units were confirmed sold, and got this in a second mail:

"Congratulations - Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around early May."

Montala

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:58 pm

When answering this question it would help if folks could say which country they are from as that seems to make quite a big difference in a lot of cases.

Also those of us in the U.K. (and probably other countries as well) who have expressed an interest in ordering from RS, won't actually have been able to place an order, or have been given an estimated delivery date yet, although it is quite possible that they could receive them in advance of some of the estimated dates which have already been quoted by Farnell... if that makes sense!

I know what I mean anyway!

Many of us will I am sure have irons in both fires anyway!

TonyHoyle

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Kernel said:

Montala said:

Kernel said:

I still don't have a date from uk farnell! :angry:

If you have placed an order with them you should have received a confirmation email with an attached pdf 'order acknowledgement' file which contains an estimated delivery date.

No I received an email saying that I would receive another email with a pdf attachment but that second email has not arrived (it's been a few days). On the website it lists the order as 'processing' under my orders.

Same here.. ordered 2 weeks ago, no date.  My order says 'processing' with a line status of 'back order' but nowhere does it give any kind of estimated delivery date, so I'm making the assumption (based on others) that it'll be july-ish.

Montala

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 am

repvik said:

Got this in a mail on friday:

"Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around mid-April. You are one of the first people in the world who will get their hands on a Raspberry Pi Model B. Congratulations."

I also placed a second order after the first units were confirmed sold, and got this in a second mail:

"Congratulations - Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around early May."

Lucky you... I have just received one this morning telling me that:  Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around early June.

That seems a very long time to wait, but I suppose there is a slight possibility that production will be accelerated, and that I will actually receive it before then.

I can but hope!

stevhorn

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 am

Ordered from Newark

Original ship date: 06/13/2012

Changed to: 03 Apr 2012

Fingers crossed!

bbramble

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:40 am

Just found my delivery date in the spam filters.

30th April

n3tw0rk5

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 am

No delivery date from Farnell yet or an email from RS that contains any actual usefull info.

nicknml

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:45 am

My original ship date that Newark said was August 1st but they have since moved up that date to April 13th.

Montala

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Could someone from the Foundation please explain why customers who ordered from Newark are now being told that they will receive their Pi's as much as four months earlier than originally quoted, whilst those of us from other countries (such as the U.K.) are not?

This looks to me as if they have received far too large an allocation... or is their a more logical explanation please?

mole125

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Could someone from the Foundation please explain why customers who ordered from Newark are now being told that they will receive their Pi"s as much as four months earlier than originally quoted, whilst those of us from other countries (such as the U.K.) are not?

This looks to me as if they have received far too large an allocation… or is their a more logical explanation please?

There are only two distributors. RS and Element14.
Element14 trades as Farnell in the UK and Newark in the US.
RS hasn"t really announced anything interesting in terms of shipping dates (you"ll get it when we get them in and ship them).
Element14 have sent out various contradictory and changing messages, depending upon their projections at particular points of time. It may be they have decided the first batch is shipping through the US first, or it may just be the US sales office are being a bit eager on distributing news compared to other regions, you"d have to ask them rather than the foundation. Personally I don"t think any delivery dates are worth the paper they are printed on at the moment, they will arrive when they arrive and not a moment sooner.

ceteras

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:02 pm

I've just got this email today from Farnell:

"Congratulations - Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around early June".

I've placed my pre-order on the 5th of March, I'm from Romania.

Morgaine

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm afraid confusion reigns, Montala, and it will continue to reign.  You're unlikely to ever get a good answer.

It's inevitable, because the Foundation refuses to talk about deliveries and says that we should talk to RS/Farnell, which at first glance sounds slightly reasonable, but very soon you realize the reality of the situation:  RS and Farnell are like all companies, opaque organizations who will not talk to customers about anything specific concerning their internal processes and reply only with generalities.

So the state of confusion is not going to change.  The days when we had reasonably full openness and discussion with the organization that was getting the boards built, ie. the Foundation, are gone.  Now all we have in front of us are long waits fogged by total absence of information (or inconsistent information as in your case), until suddenly we get an email that our device is in the depot and they're ready to take our money.

It's not a very happy prospect for those of us who were so enthused with the dear little board that we have projects lined up for at least a dozen of them.  We'll have to go through this sad process repeatedly.

To end on a positive note, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Confusion will cease completely once RS and Farnell finally begin selling Rpi from stock.  Unfortunately we have absolutely no idea whether that will be next quarter, next year, or ever.  Absence of information really is a killer.

Morgaine.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

khisanth

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:50 pm

30th April for me from Farnell, cant remember when i registered.

RS have emailed me twice to say thanks for the interest we will get back to you when the shipment comes in etc.

n3tw0rk5

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:53 pm

As soon as Farnell and RS took over the distribution it greatly limited the information the foundation had about delivery dates, so it's pointless keep having a dig at them about lack of info.

If Farnell and RS cant give them exact dates, then it's probably down to the manufacturer.

Either way it's Farnell and RS that should be providing the info.

Morgaine

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:06 pm

It's worth noting that dates far beyond the production ETA for batch #2 make no sense whatsoever unless RS/Farnell have no intention of ramping up production to meet demand.

It's only when production capacity is either static or growing at a predefined rate that future delivery dates beyond the near term can be calculated.

Morgaine.
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

Silva Girl

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Mine is due 14 May ........... I can wait ................. just!

Gives me time to learn Python and Linux (as much as I'll need, anyway).

Just looking forward to tampering.

Grandad

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Found in my hotmail spam folder:

Dear ?????????,

Breakthroughs. Exhilarating, but rarely without hiccups.

A few days ago, the Raspberry Pi Foundation announced a small manufacturing delay. A component in the Pi is being reinstalled. In the grand scheme it's small potatoes - but we know it's frustrating for Farnell element14 fans and customers.

Congratulations - Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around early May.

We're a proud partner of the Pi, and the sense of adventure it's bringing to the tech community. We've all come to feel part of the Foundation's big project to bring computing to all. Online, the response has been superb.

Thanks for your patience and understanding so far. Enjoy your Pi.

Farnell element14

n3tw0rk5

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:32 pm

hmm last email I had from Farnell was on the 29th which was my order confirmation, if I havent got a mail from them in the next couple of days i'll give them a prod.

Tass

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:40 pm

n3tw0rk5 said:

hmm last email I had from Farnell was on the 29th which was my order confirmation, if I havent got a mail from them in the next couple of days i'll give them a prod.

Same here - not a squeak out of them since the 29th, confirming a date of 12th March

Casalor

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Tass said:

n3tw0rk5 said:

Same here - not a squeak out of them since the 29th, confirming a date of 12th March

ditto. I'll ring tomorrow.

raspi

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Week starting 12th March for me, but I fear that is looking a little optimistic.

Simon H

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Mine too was originally 12th March and not heard anything from Farnell since. some on the forums, element 14 and here are getting congratulations you will be one of the first etc emails but my order was in by 7am on 29th and I have received nothing.

I know RS & Farnell are tight lipped about where the boards are but the foundation must know where so it would be nice if they at least said where the first batch that they are responsible for are at the moment. A Status like At Factory, QA, In transit, Final QA in UK or wherever would be nice so we can guestimate when the others might be shipping.

Personally the suspense is killing me and not knowing roughly where they are just compounds it. I have a nice shoe box with a powered USB hub all the leads needed and 2 brand new loaded SD cards with Debian & Fedora on not to mention a couple of spares for anything else that comes out.

You are turning me into a nervous wreck, everytime my phone bleeps new email I jump for it hoping for good news. Which will arrive first, The RPi or the men in white coats?

Return to “General discussion”