swendl

Photo Frame-LCD Monitor Won't Display Images After Sleeping

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:51 pm

I am a Linux neophyte who is learning bit by bit, thanks to the RPi. I'm trying to repurpose an old Gateway 19" LCD monitor as a digital photo frame, using the frame buffer as the display driver. The photo source is the Photostream folder on my Windows PC, connected via samba to the pi, which enables me to control the slideshow content via the photostream feature on my iphone / ipad. It actually works very well - the only problem is this...

I would like to use cron to kill power to the monitor at bedtime, then reawaken in the morning. The Pi would be running the slideshow 24/7 except for the occasional cron-initiated reboot to pick up changes to the photo folder (is there an easier way to make fbi see the changes automatically?). Tvservice -o does a good job of turning off the monitor. My problem is waking up the monitor AND having it reconnect to the frame buffer slideshow. A simple tvservice -p doesn't restore the display. I've been experimenting with various commands via SSH, and sometimes can awaken the monitor just enough to display the Gateway logo, but I haven't yet found the magic command to make it see the running slideshow and display it again.

I've tried various settings to disable power saving, to no avail. As long as the monitor is powered up, no problem, but I'd like to put it to sleep at night to conserve power. Any thoughts on how to effectively wake up my monitor and reconnect to the slideshow? Thank you!

with ice cream

Re: Photo Frame-LCD Monitor Won't Display Images After Sleep

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:11 pm

I seem to be in a similar situation. My display shows an X session and I can turn it off using tvservice -o. tvservice -c "PAL 16:9" activates the screen, but nothing gets shown.

swendl

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:09 am

I found the answer, at least in my situation. After waking the monitor with tvservice -p you need to issue this command: fbset -depth 16 && fbset -depth 32 (the final number refers to the target color depth you want - in my case, 32). This does the trick for me. Good luck.

with ice cream

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Regrettably this doesn't seem to work. Restarting the desktop manager is what does:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/tvservice -c "PAL 16:9"
sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm restart

Schuitz

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:41 am

I am attempting exactly this. So swendl, do you have X running or not? Like many others I cannot bring things back with tvservice -p, but I am also not running X, so there is no desktop manager to refresh. Developing over ssh also poses some additional challenges.

I started to work on this wall frame application with fbi, then moved to pygame, and soon am on to something else. I think if you want to re-scan your image directory from time to time you will want to refactor in python. I have a similar situation with a 10,000+ image directory over SMB that gets periodic publish updates from Lightroom. As it stands, I am not refreshing the image list, yet.

Schuitz

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Replies to self; resetting the framebuffer by setting the depth twice seems to do the job, without X running. The confusion arose because you've got to put something new in the framebuffer, eg by refreshing X, executing fbi, etc.

I am also slightly ashamed it took me more than five minutes to figure out the -T 1 argument for fbi to put an image on tty1 when logged in over ssh. Everybody happy now.

Return to “General discussion”