nick.mccloud

Re: Volunteers

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm sure if the foundation ask, they will find willing volunteers to help with the next obvious tasks that are techy in nature which must have many suitably experienced candidates amongst us, tasks like:

1. Setting up a more robust forum

2. Setting up an email list

3. Perhaps dividing up areas of the forum for FAQ answering for when people start to receive their Pi's

I'm happy to help.

pyrosoft

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Count me in, I am willing to help, especially on these forums as they are pretty lame.

abishur

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:39 pm

If you want a different forum here's what to do:

1) find which forum software you think would be better

2) Write a script that will transfer all user accounts from the current forum to the new forum

3) Write a script that will transfer all posts from the current forum to the new forum

4) Bonus script: transfer private messages over

The software they're using is open source I believe so you can set up your own little forum on your computer to discover what table names are being used.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

nick.mccloud

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Abishur said:

If you want a different forum here's what to do:

The forum was an example.

I'm asking the Foundation to consider taking some help on board from people that are subject matter experts.

As for migrating the forum, I'd volunteer $99 any time to use  forum convertor software.

But it's up to the Foundation to ask for assistance, decide who's going to do what and then allocate the tasks.

Kernel

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:02 pm

IIRC a twitter post suggested that something was happening with the forum when they get time

abishur

Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:04 pm

My reply wasn't meant to be snarky, that's the honest response.  A while back they did ask for any help with migrating the forum to a better software.  No one step up, but people still complained about it (not saying you are, just telling the story ).  So the honest answer to the first suggestion is for someone to just work out the appropriate script.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

kasperl

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Abishur: I heard the same a while back, but I never caught the original post.

For most group/volunteer projects there tends to be a sort of annoyance buffer; stuff doesn't get fixed until someone is annoyed enough by the not-fixed state to get round to fixing it. I guess for a lot of people (including myself) that buffer si slowly being reached.

Each time I have to wait for the letters I type in to appear on by one in the post window. I guess it'll be a net time saver if I can help using some better software. However, I'm not going to just write a converter from Wordpress to any of the different board software options and see if it's used. If we really want to fix it, a bunch of people should be pointed at an given a clear directive in what to do.

I can understand the forum is not a priority, but once the newbies start flooding in, it would be nice to have some kind of welcoming banner out.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:51 pm

The forum's being done this week.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

kasperl

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Lovely news!

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks Liz

wasn't volunteering when the request wasn't from the foundation!

although I'm sure the intention was to help, it's best to have only one voice in charge

Kernel

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:22 pm

liz said:

The forum's being done this week.

what are we getting?

nick.mccloud

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:07 pm

spurious said:

wasn't volunteering when the request wasn't from the foundation!

although I'm sure the intention was to help, it's best to have only one voice in charge

I'm not sure I understand the correlation between making a suggestion & an offer of help and your last sentence - I wasn't proposing a coup d'état with a view to make me king!

timn

Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:19 am

I don't know what "The forum's being done this week." means but I do hope you are gearing it up for a significant increase in traffic as a whole bunch of people hit your site trying to find out what they need to do to their RPi to make it work.

Personally, I think you should have launched to the forum members before the world, on the basis that they might have a better idea as to what they are and what needs to be done to get them operational. I can't help thinking that a large number have been sold to trophy/bargain hunters who are not really going to know what to do with them once they receive them.

I would give serious consideration to decoupling the forum from the landing page(s), perhaps even setting up a separate domain name to make it easier to run them on separate servers and/or hosting providers. The current landing page is quite heavy for browsers and I imagine for the server, so some lightweight landing pages would benefit everyone.

Good luck!

Return to “General discussion”