docbee

Re: Turning to a Laugh?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Sorry guys from raspberry but you are going to turn this whole thing into a laugh.

After a lot of pushing the hype...

and months of delays...

you shortly changed your way of distribution...

selected two sub-par UK based distributors...

and these now cannot deliver in reasonable time frames...

and have intransparent and akward pricing.

And by the way, the forum is offline half of the requests by some spurious database errors. It would have been a better move to start at a level where you can deliver. Please, get out of the hype and back to basics!

just my $0.02 (plus $11 shipping)

tonycollinet

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:58 pm

Bear in mind the foundation is a charity run by people in their spare time. In spite of this, they have managed to do what no hugely resourced company has ever done - get  a computer available to the masses at a very low price point.

I suggest if you don't like the way things are going, you abandon ship, and go buy something else.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:16 pm

docbee said:

Sorry guys from raspberry but you are going to turn this whole thing into a laugh.

and months of delays...

And by the way, the forum is offline half of the requests by some spurious database errors. It would have been a better move to start at a level where you can deliver. Please, get out of the hype and back to basics!

And how do you propose we ' start at a level where you can deliver'? I'm not sure what you mean. We had funds to make 10k. More than 10k people wanted them. How do you get round that problem? What do you mean by 'back to basics'?

As to RS and Farnell - they are the two largest component suppliers in the UK. Sub-par? I don't think so. Overwhelmed by unpredictably huge demand I will believe.

There are issues with the pricing, which should be sorted out next week.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

MattHawkinsUK

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:25 pm

docbee suggest you forget about the RPi and go an buy an Apple Pi or whatever it is you are going to develop, manufacture and launch in your spare time.

You should have an easier time meeting demand as it will be just you buying.

Good luck.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

Joe Schmoe

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Let me just say that I agree with the OP in terms of content - certainly my POV from over here on this side of the pond agrees with his - but obviously, there's no point in posting - nothing to discuss as it were - other than as venting.  We have sub-forums and threads for venting.

From my POV, the best thing to do is just ignore the whole situation for, say a few months, then check back then to see if things have settled down to something approximating normal.  And that's what I am going to do - just stay out of it for the next few months - then check back.  I suggest that OP do likewise.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Matthew Jones

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:30 pm

docbee said:

and months of delays...

So, to fix these problems that you see, will cost money. Where will that money come from? Increase the price of the board? charge to post on the forum? Fine anyone £10 who asks a question that is already in the FAQ?

The bottom line is that it all costs money that would take away from the main goal of the foundation.

What I have found laughable is people with high expectations and a sense of entitlement. You could see that demand is high and that boards are limited (at this stage) So wind your neck in and wait patiently.

Lynbarn

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Matthew Jones said:

So, to fix these problems that you see, will cost money. Where will that money come from? ... Fine anyone £10 who asks a question that is already in the FAQ?

Now that idea I DO like!

Ogoshi

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:49 pm

I was only born late 80"s so wasn"t around at the time of release, but didn"t the spectrum have a waiting list of about 3 months?! Not to mention the price!

abishur

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:59 pm

unfortunately the OP is suffering from large amount of misinformation/ignorance and is taking out their own lack of knowledge/lack of pi out on the RPF.  So I'll address your complaints one by one.

1) After a lot of pushing the hype…

The RPF has never really tried to hype up their product.  I've been here since before the forum was created and during that whole time they've just plainly stated the facts.  It's been the user community which has really run of with this and hyped it up, quite rightly so, to our friends and family.

2) and months of delays...

Technically true, the release of the R-pi was slated for Q4 of 2011, so they were two months late.  But as I've heard this complaint again and again, I'm betting you think that they were supposed to release it back in November.  It was certainly the RPF's hope and desire to release it back then, but it was *always* Q4 2011 that was their official target.  When I consider how late other products released by mega corporations and the fact the mega corporations released their product despite known flaw (red ring of death on the Xbox360, you're holding it wrong on the iPhone, everything about Vista), then a two month delay for them to provide a quality product is fine by me.

3) you shortly changed your way of distribution…

I honestly have no idea why you're making a fuss about the fact that they made a deal with two distributors so that the distributors can directly order batches to made to fit the demand of the product.  This means that we get the R-pi *faster* than we do if the RPF was constantly have to put their own home on the line (which they did) to order a batch

4) selected two sub-par UK based distributors…

As Jamesh already said these were not two sub-bar distributors, it would be like them picking digikey or even sparkfun in the US.  Now I admit that I was very disappointed that the distributors didn't communicate and plan better, blame where blame is due, but the issue at hand is *not* that they were sub par

5) and these now cannot deliver in reasonable time frames…

As I said, they very method of this system means you're getting it faster than you would if the RPF were having to do it themselves.  The only reason it's taking so long is because of how much demand there is for the product.  Even still, you're looking at a better release time than we did with the PS3.

6) and have intransparent and akward pricing.

Yep, goes back to lack of communication, but that was an issue on the distributor's end and one that is being addressed, hardly the RPF's fault.

Now, respectfully, I'm closing this thread lest the OP misinformation is spread as if it were fact.  I understand and am in the same "I didn't get one" boat, but if you can step back and look at the situation realistically I'm sure you can be mature enough to realize that when you can only sell 10K units because that's all the money you got from mortgaging your *home* and the demand is so great then you're gonna have a bumpy starts.  So let's all be big boys and girls, suck it up, and be patient here, another month or two is not going to kill any of us
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”