liamo

Re: Cost of Raspberry Pi

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:51 am

I got an invitation from Farnell Ireland today to pre-order my raspberry pi.

Low and behold the cost of one of them is €39.20.

I thought the idea was the Model B would be $35 (€26)?? I stand to be corrected.

Liamo

steviewevie

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:53 am

Liz has replied to comments on the front page on this, saying they're looking at the prices that all the various distributors are charging, and trying to sort this out. I will dig out her quote and edit it into my post.

d_brennen

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:54 am

Hold off a few weeks and wait for new stock to arrive and back orders to ease. Profiteering from a charity is sad to see. Are you sure it wasn't one of their bundle offers, with PSU and SD card etc?

steviewevie

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:56 am

Liz said :

We’re asking RS and Farnell to boil down exactly where all those costs go; we should have a nice big update for you next week territory by territory.

Liz said :

we’re working on getting you a really transparent view of exactly how costs stack up (board + tax + shipping) so nobody, anywhere, pays over the odds, and we’re making sure that everywhere sells to *everybody* not just businesses.

If any of you do think something’s a bit weird with the numbers or conditions on your order, email me (famous last words) – my address is on the contacts page up top.

Liz said :

Both companies doing their best to get the word out to all of their local distributors (which I am guessing are more used to setting autonomous pricing – I don’t think they were expecting the global interest), and we should have an update for you next week. I can’t promise anything, but I sincerely hope we’ll see that number come down. Certainly, once you’re able to buy in bulk, shipping costs will be pretty negligible per Raspi.

Skygod

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:09 pm

liamo said:

I got an invitation from Farnell Ireland today to pre-order my raspberry pi.

Low and behold the cost of one of them is €39.20.

I thought the idea was the Model B would be $35 (€26)?? I stand to be corrected.

Liamo

The base cost quoted on the Farnell sites would appear to be $35 + any import duty. When you then proceed to the ordering stage, the delivery and VAT get added.

$79.03 to get one here at the moment.

Cylon

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Hmmm...

I think Farnell and RS had plenty of time to sort both Costing of the PI, Shipping and vat etc well before the sale of the PI.

It should be charge at what you bought it for at the time. Sales of goods act etc...

I will be very annoyed if my price fluctuates upwards.

They should not be allowed to sell the PI for varying amounts of money. the only thing that should differ is VAT and Shipping. If the site clearly states (and in Farnells case it did - Free Shipping) then thats what should be applied.

As I paid by Credit Card this is a protected purchase, they will have to inform me that the cost is more or less before charging my account. They can only bill for whats be stated in the final checkout.

I see trading standards being in-undated if they dont stand by the original cost.

Also the fact the Cost of the PI is not what RASPI foundation said is was is purely down to Farnell and RS. We should not blame RASPI for this and i certainly dont.

I will just be glad to get mine but they really do need to firm up the delivery dates as mine has changed twice in less than 24 hours.

Appart from that im a happy camper and glad the Real RASPI forums are back. Hurrah.

Return to “General discussion”