thebic4

how do you get ubuntu on pi

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:53 pm

can i be directed to a video, blog, post, or guide on how to put ubuntu on my pi please?

leol

Re: how do you get ubuntu on pi

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm

I don't believe it is possible as Ubuntu has not been ported to the right version of ARM.

redhawk

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Ubuntu is based on Debian the same as Raspbian which is also based on Debian and specifically optimised for the Pi.
As already pointed out there's no ARM v6 port of Ubuntu so a skinned Raspbian is about as close as you'll get.

Richard S.

Cloudcentric

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Raspbian "wheezy" has the look and feel of Lubuntu.

There are several ways to change wallpapers and skins etal on Wheezy

The Unity Ubuntu Desktop Environment is far too resource hungry......................
I know everything about nothing"

JeremyF

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Raspbian has all the same essential features.

What features of Ubuntu do you feel are not present, but necessary/wanted, in Raspbian? We can certainly help you with that. Just not porting an entire operating system.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

tonyhughes

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:36 pm

I'm an Ubuntu user on my x86 boxes.

I had previously used RedHat (back in the 3.x days), Mandrake (Mandriva now I think), FreeBSD, and Fedora.

Ubuntu is 'comfortable', but since the Raspberry Pi, and Raspbian, I am fairly convinced that Debian itself will become my 'go-to' distro.

Raspbian is great, and really stunningly close to Ubuntu because of that shared ancestry of Debian.

As others say - what do you want Ubuntu to do, Raspbian can probably do it.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:57 pm

The Foundation had originally intended to use Ubuntu and, IIRC, had some portion of Ubuntu 9.0.4 running on some pre-production boards, but never made it available. Ubuntu 9.0.4 is the last distribution to support ARM v6 microprocessors as used on the Pi and the Foundation moved to Debian when the Ubuntu team stated that they would not be supporting ARM v6 beyond 9.0.4. The Ubuntu team is dedicating all of its resources to supporting ARM v7 and beyond due to multi-core features (Coretex) that can be available in those processors, but not in ARM v6 devices.

Raspbian is a perfectly fine distribution for use on the Pi, even for beginners for whom Ubuntu was originally developed. It includes a lightweight GUI/desktop, browsers, IDEs, and other software best suited for the capabilities of the Pi's ARM v6 CPU, FPU, RAM, SD card storage, etc. The current Ubuntu distribution would never be able to run on the Pi anyway, even if ARM v6 were supported. It requires far more resources than the Pi can provide - 1 GHz+ clock speed, 64-bit data and address buses preferred, multi-core preferred, 1 GB+ of RAM, tens of GBs of disk space, etc., and those are x86 specs - ARM specs would be even greater to achieve the same performance.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

gf42

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:35 am

Jim Manley wrote:The Foundation had originally intended to use Ubuntu and, IIRC, had some portion of Ubuntu 9.0.4 running on some pre-production boards, but never made it available. Ubuntu 9.0.4 is the last distribution to support ARM v6 microprocessors as used on the Pi and the Foundation moved to Debian when the Ubuntu team stated that they would not be supporting ARM v6 beyond 9.0.4.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I just got 9.04 for armv6 that should all work.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 1&p=311472

Guy

Return to “General discussion”