aszu

Re: How long will the sale last? Make your bets!

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:58 pm

My predictions:

1. Most of the people will not even be able to see website / shop, due to amount of traffic

2. For those lucky ones that will be able to place the order, Pi will be gone in the matter of minutes, especially after it has been posted on sites like Hotukdeals and similar.

Your turn

Jessie

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:24 pm

aszu said:

My predictions:

1. Most of the people will not even be able to see website / shop, due to amount of traffic

2. For those lucky ones that will be able to place the order, Pi will be gone in the matter of minutes, especially after it has been posted on sites like Hotukdeals and similar.

Your turn

Since they are shutting down the forums at that time and making the store a static page, and it is being hosted on stronger servers I don't think there will be a server issue.  I'm sure there are some that will manage to cheat and buy 10 of them.  I can't really predict demand but my bet is going to be that it will sell out anywhere from 30 min to 2 hours.  Even if demand ends up being week because many changed their minds on buying one or they just gave up trying to get one from the first batch I still think they will be out the door before the day is up.  I can't stay up too late tonight so if the site goes (11 my time) down I plan on paying a friend that stays up real late to snipe me one.

Since this thread is mere speculation who knows though.

Tass

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:00 pm

37 minutes.

Alchemy

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Takes 1 minute to order. So that's how long.

Maybe the foundation will still sell a few a day just to mess up Ebay price jumpers. I hope so.

QGazQ

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:11 pm

1h 14m

What do we win if we are right?

Anyway since there is less than 7hrs to go I should probably head to bed (somewhat earlier than I usually do)

nn and gl everyone

Regards

QGazQ

Chromatix

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 pm

I predict that when stock runs out, the shop will go into pre-order mode for the next batch.  So there will be little opportunity for scalpers, and people who miss out on the first batch shouldn't get *too* upset.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

S0litaire

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 pm

If the the guys at R-Pi-towers are really sneaky.

They'd put them up in blocks of 1250 units every hour over 8 hours...

Will give everyone a chance to get one... ^_^
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

spurious

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 pm

S0litaire said:

I don't understand the logic there... if 10,000+ people log on at 6am all wanting to buy and there are none left 2 mins later because only a small amount have been put up for sale and then an hour people less committed log in and get one no problem... you have totally peed off your hardcore buyers... ????

Jessie

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:11 am

spurious said:

S0litaire said:

I don't understand the logic there... if 10,000+ people log on at 6am all wanting to buy and there are none left 2 mins later because only a small amount have been put up for sale and then an hour people less committed log in and get one no problem... you have totally peed off your hardcore buyers... ????

Hardcore buyers?  Anyone who cares about this project isn't going to care if they have to wait a little to buy one.  You know who gets pissed when they miss out on buying something like this?  Self entitled jackasses, people with no patients, and idiots that think it is a status symbol.  It is a $35 computer, not the cure for AIDS.  There is a lot of demand, and hype here and I think that is inflating the demand there are going to be a lot of people who buy one that have absolutly no purpose for one, and some that buy to re-sell.  I am totally happy to see success for the foundation because their cause is noble, but it gets real irritating dealing with all these people who think that it is their god given right to own one.

Back to the topic here, put all 10k up for sale and get it over with I say.  No reason to drag on the pain and suffering.  Let 'em all go then let all the cry babys get on their respective forums and complain like a jilted lover.

pauldow

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:01 am

I think they should use a Last in - First out shipment method. That should keep things calmer. Confusing, but calmer. 

I think that there's something more going on than just opening for sale. Liz mentioned "I'm not allowed to say what the announcement is for arcane contractual reasons (it's actually quite interesting – I'll explain when I can)."

My guess is that Oprah is getting involved so she can say:

"You get a Raspberry Pi, and you get a Raspberry Pi, and you get a Raspberry Pi, and you get a Raspberry Pi, and you get a Raspberry Pi, and you get a Raspberry Pi. You all get a Raspberry Pi"

I was looking on getting that video clip of her giving out cars, and dubbing "Raspberry Pi" on it, but I had to do things that were less fun today.

It looks like the Europeans have gone to sleep. No database errors at this time of night!

Joneszee

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:06 am

I think they will sell out in about 10 minutes... that is if the server stays up and running..

Joneszee

Skygod

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:16 am

Down for Maintenance

It's 10:15 here now, so just 2 hours 45 minutes to wait.

After waiting through all of Q4 2011 (1st October), it's hard to believe that the project has finally reached its goal and D-day has arrived (we all assume that to be the case anyway).

Antipodean

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:06 am

Hmm 2 hours to go, tension grows!

There are 12,000 registered users of this forum – If we have to “log–in” to purchase, then there will be 2000 of us that will not be in the first shipment.  However not all members are after the first issue!

This would mean that there would be a flurry of new users trying to sign up so they can purchase. If the admins take the login page down then this would mean that only current members could log-in to purchase there “pi”. This will keep everyone honest as this would be one “pi” per registered user.

Skygod

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:13 am

My understanding is that it will be sold through the shop and not through the forum, so it's not just available to forum members, but to anyone.

1hr 47m to go!

Enlightenment

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:33 am

3.14159 minutes

xbrav

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:35 am

I wouldn't mind if we were really getting pie instead. The disappointment would be drowned with raspberries…

25 minutes… I could make one!

tachyon

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:40 am

4 more futurama episodes to go!

I say the shop website gets overloaded, it's a hit and miss affair to order for the first 5 mins.  The whole thing crashes and comes back online 10 mins later, first batch sold out in another 15.

So 30 mins.

aszu

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:19 am

Ufff.. it is over now.

I think I should start playing some lottery!

steviewevie

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:22 am

Quite amusing to read back, with the benefit of hindsight

Return to “General discussion”