niijel

Re: official support cert needed?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 am

Ideas wanted on the below: (might be a project):

It arose in discussions with potential educational users, that a new product needs 'official' quality support, their suggestion was for a officially sanctioned online course for general usage and application support and another for technical support. (I assume this equates to teacher and school technician).

My view is that this would be hosted in the raspberrypi domain and use moodle or similar. it could build on the many tutorials already in existance and provide info on proven hardware and software setup of networks, printers, creation of sd etc etc but also configuration and gotchas for popular applications. It must be aimed at folk with only general user windows/macos knowledge, but be modular enough to engage those with some exposure to linux.

It would also be a good mechanism for keeping the user base informed of details of new o/s versions, drivers, new apps. And solutions to real world problems: interworking with pc's/mac's file conversions, network configs, authentications.

If a school technician could complete the course before starting a trial of the RPi, I think it would improve their persception of the RPi and smooth the introduction of it.

Having a certificate on the wall to show you have covered whats needed isnt a bad thing either.

We need to start thinking of supporting our future customers now (before we have any) else RPi will become a toy for hobbyists, rather than a enabling technology for all.

Admin: If this is in the wrong area please move it especially if theres an existing thread. (sorry if this is duplicate)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:03 am

Interesting.....

All I'd say is that, as it says in the strapline at the top of the page, a Raspberry Pi is "An ARM GNU/Linux box".  If it is thought that technicians, etc in an educational environment need additional certification to support it, then there are plenty of basic Linux certification schemes available.

Picking one out of the slew produced by Googling "linux certification", the LPI scheme looks useful, level one would be suitable.

Very specific support information would probably be best gleaned from a users forum.

Here for example!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

dave_s

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:22 am

The Open university run a short ( 10 week) course that gets you to LPI 101 level.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/u.....e/t155.htm

crundy

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:18 pm

dave_s said:

The Open university run a short ( 10 week) course that gets you to LPI 101 level.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/u.....e/t155.htm

Yes but what RPI level does it get you up to?

Return to “General discussion”