pandapi

Re: Guesstimates for non-F5 release

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:07 am

I"m not one of those people who has the will to get up at an unsociable hour to F5 the store to try and beat thousands of other people, so at least the rest of you have one less competitor

When do people think that supply will ramp up enough to cope with demand and make the rPis readily available? Especially considering they will get more interest once out?

Also, why has a UK company picked an early morning release for the UK? It"s a shame we couldn"t be given a little bonus.

Good luck in the scramble tomorrow

obarthelemy

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:13 am

Couple of months would be my guess.

pandapi

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 am

I hope you are right, I was thinking longer
Hopefully after a couple of F5 releases we might get a pre-order, pleeeeease

VainSyl

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:58 am

The problem will be to see how the demand ramp up once the first 10000 are delivered (tons of video on youtube, reviews and so on ...).

Without a preorder system, it's nearly impossible to know : the production could ramp up quickly without meeting the demand.

Sylvain.

Emanuele

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:51 am

I am waiting for quiter times too (and for model A). My guess is that I will be able to get one in April/May. My understanding is that the foundation will be limited more by cash flow than by production capacity. If in the meantime some company/institution would be willing to order a large batch and pay upfront, I am sure it would help.

meltwater

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:02 am

I would imagine that production should be able to be ramped up a lot if there are no issues with the first batch.

No doubt there are lots of companies which will happily order a few 100/1000 at a time upfront, as soon as the foundation are comfortable with it.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

pietari-poika

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:53 am

There's some information about future batches on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Raspberry_Pi/sta ... 4451666944

Joe Schmoe

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am

I don't do Twitter - or any of that other "social networking" virus/crappola.

Has a week gone by yet when they haven't found a new virus on Facebook?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

toxibunny

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Get off my lawn!
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

RaTTuS

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

I don't do Twitter - or any of that other "social networking" virus/crappola.

Has a week gone by yet when they haven't found a new virus on Facebook?

@ryanteck They'll be going to manufacture immediately. It's not really a second batch; it'll work like a permanent rolling production line.

but you do do web - so you can look
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 pm

pandapi said:

Also, why has a UK company picked an early morning release for the UK? It"s a shame we couldn"t be given a little bonus.
If I had to guess, I'd say that timing it then places the truly obnoxious times (0100-0500) smack bang in the middle of the Atlantic, thereby making it the least bad option for the most people.

Alchemy

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:28 pm

I doubt supply will exceed demand this year. It makes no sense to wait even if your needs are less than others. Just try everytime or you will kick yourself.

mole125

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:32 pm

TheEponymousBob said:

pandapi said:

If I had to guess, I'd say that timing it then places the truly obnoxious times (0100-0500) smack bang in the middle of the Atlantic, thereby making it the least bad option for the most people.

Also being slightly (eg 7am/8am/9am) would have put it right in the middle of rush hour, no good for children or adults having to catch the school bus/arrive at work/school on time. 9-6 is no good because if you are at school/many places of work then you've missed out. 6-12 may have been acceptable for people in the UK but is in the middle of the work day in America and deep into the night in India/Asia/Australia.

With 6am it is at least possible for most people in the UK to get up and online if they can be bothered - if they can't be bothered then there is always the next batch!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:39 pm

All of the above reasons, and also...

It keeps initial demand down a little. Lots of people will be up at 6am, but most of them would have been up if it was 4am. But there are also many who will wander by at 7am or 8am or when they've got to work, made a cup of tea and switched the PC on.

And this way, those people who want one enough to make an effort, get first chance.

piglet

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Assuming that this is the shop opening, and not an announcement that Liz & Eben are expecting....

meltwater

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Lol do I hear the patter of little raspberries?

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

secretreeve

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:14 pm

im kind of tempted now to wait until the next batch of B boards come in and they have cases and various other accessories available for the Pi.

but i seriously DOUBT that the store is opening tomorow morning based purely on the fact that theres been no notification via the mailing list.

why bother making a mailing list if your going to send out a "store now open" when the store goes live with only 10k of a single product knowing they'll sell out before most people even get the chance to check thier emails?

Tass

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 pm

secretreeve said:

im kind of tempted now to wait until the next batch of B boards come in and they have cases and various other accessories available for the Pi.

As I understood it (possibly incorrectly), the version with the cases, etc., would be available in October, for the educational launch, whereas the other batches would arrive much sooner - i.e. rolling in on a monthly basis?

R4V3N0U5

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:25 pm

pandapi said:

I don't see why you need to complain about it. I'm from the US so I'll be getting mine at 1:00 AM... which I'm sure some people in the UK would have preferred (And some probably not so much) but I would have been more than happy to wake up early and get it at 6. What you have to realize, is that most likely the US demand for the Pi is just as equal as the UK demand (it could even be larger) so it makes since that they would try to work out a time that was good for both time zones.

RaTTuS

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:30 pm

secretreeve said:

but i seriously DOUBT that the store is opening tomorow morning based purely on the fact that theres been no notification via the mailing list.

why bother making a mailing list if your going to send out a "store now open" when the store goes live with only 10k of a single product knowing they'll sell out before most people even get the chance to check thier emails?

Please do wait for the next lot,

the email contains exactly what is said on the front page - i.e.

goto raspberrypi.org at 6:00 UTC
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

secretreeve

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:56 pm

what email? no email from the mailing list was recieved

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Liz mentioned that they are being sent out in batches; with over 100,000 subscriptions they couldn"t send out en masse without server melting.

Someone has pasted the contents of the e-mail in the main thread about the front page post; it really is exactly what is on the front page.

I haven"t had one yet either, but it"s been made pretty clear that people wanting to order from the first batch will definitely want to be on the site at that time—this is not a drill.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 pm

piglet said:

Assuming that this is the shop opening, and not an announcement that Liz & Eben are expecting....

LOL. that's the only piece of "news" that we might forgive them for.

riggsre

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 pm

I think the "announcement" is a trial to see what happens to get an idea of what the actual release will be like.

Alchemy

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:54 pm

The announcement has to be sales. The previous announcement hinted we should buy an alarm clock. And in the UK we'd need one for 6AM.

A possible twist could be they've got a sales outlet on board for distribution. And that's why things are hidden for contractual reasons. Someone like Amazon or Best Buy.

Return to “General discussion”