rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: There's a time and a date on the front page...

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:19 pm

Bakul said:

1. The first run is not 10,000 but 1,000,000 'Pis.

2. Some very big company is donating money to give away the first 10,000 to developers.

It's Microsoft, and they paid to upgrade the CPU to an ARM7. It will be the first computer to ship with Windows 8 and the entire Office suite, plus it will play all of the modern games.

NB: this is a joke (I hope )

dukla2000

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:23 pm

Wednesday morning at five o'clock as the day begins

Silently closing their bedroom door

Leaving the note that they hoped would say more

They go downstairs to the PC clutching their Barclaycard

etc
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

dj_nyc

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Long time lurker here, finally driven to post by the sheer injustice of my plight:

So it seems that, irony of ironies, at the moment when the "big announcement" finally comes I am destined to be travelling up the M40 to a conference devoted to educational IT.

Past experience of such things suggests that, once I get there, it will be at a venue with only shaky Wifi availability and with tiny weeny bandwidth (shared amongst a couple of hundred geeks) and, if I recall this particular venue correctly, equally shaky 3g coverage.

Sob.

DJN

Jessie

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Well it is a good thing these things arn't being sold at Walmart or there would be some fights and stabbings here in the US over them.

Now that I have mod rights and access your IP numbers I will be setting up some cleaver DDOS servers to make sure I get one when they come out. 

That is a joke BTW I won't cry if I miss out, but I will be up to try and snag one.

hippy

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Alchemy said:

The announcement confuses me. Everyone will go to the shop.

I'm confused as well. Is the announcement really important ? If so I'd have expected to get a Mail List email telling me to go read the announcement rather than through stumbling across it on the forum. Maybe it's on its way ?

If it is the announcement of when it will be on sale will emails go out to the Mailing List at the same time the announcement is made or will we have to visit the home page to see when that is ?

For ages we've all been told there's no need to panic, people will get an email in plenty of time when it will go on sale, but now it's not clear what's going on.

R4V3N0U5

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 pm

I am very excited. It's also great to hear that we'll be getting a nice surprise.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 pm

hippy said:

Alchemy said:

The announcement confuses me. Everyone will go to the shop.

I'm confused as well. Is the announcement really important ? If so I'd have expected to get a Mail List email telling me to go read the announcement rather than through stumbling across it on the forum. Maybe it's on its way ?

If it is the announcement of when it will be on sale will emails go out to the Mailing List at the same time the announcement is made or will we have to visit the home page to see when that is ?

For ages we've all been told there's no need to panic, people will get an email in plenty of time when it will go on sale, but now it's not clear what's going on.

The email's on its way. It'll take us several hours to get mails to everyone on the list; there are >100k mailing list members, so we have to send mail out over a period in small batches to avoid putting too much additional strain on the server. (I only got mine about five minutes ago.) You're not missing much; the text is broadly the same as what you've already seen on the main page.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

bwoodbury

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Rwgast said - Im in California so according to the GMT conversion you guys are 7 hours ahead so i need to be at my computer at 11pm Tuesday night

Ummm unless you live in the Hotel California aren't you on Pacific Time which I think is GMT-8 or 10:00pm Tuesday

Tass

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:58 pm

bwoodbury said:

Rwgast said - Im in California so according to the GMT conversion you guys are 7 hours ahead so i need to be at my computer at 11pm Tuesday night

Ummm unless you live in the Hotel California aren't you on Pacific Time which I think is GMT-8 or 10:00pm Tuesday

You're all wrong - it's actually Wednesday 4AM

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:58 pm

Thanks dukla2000, here's the rest of it

Wednesday morning at five o'clock as the day begins
Silently closing our bedroom doors
Trusting the note that we hoped would say more
We go downstairs to the PC
Clutching our Barclaycards
Quietly hitting the F5 key
Telling the shop that it's me

Liz… (we gave her absolute hell)
Is sleeping (first time in 48 hours)
at last (automated servers unsupervised)
She's sleeping at last after working so hard for so many days (well done)

Father snores as his wife logs into the RaspPi shop
Clicks on the Raspberry that's just appeared
Sitting alone at the PC screen
She breaks down and cries to her husband
"Daddy, all the stock is gone
"Why would they treat us so thoughtlessly?
"How could they do this to me?

Liz… (we drove her right up the wall)
Is sleeping (dreaming of raspberry pie)
at last (Raspberry shop can run out of stock by itself)
She's sleeping at last after working so hard for so many days (well done)

Friday morning, at nine o'clock
Liz is back at her desk
Posting the blog that they're waiting for
Another 10k in two weeks

She (we knew she would come up trumps)
Is having (we thought we'd be waiting for months)
Fun (fun is one thing money can't buy)

Computer inside that was always denied for so many years…
She sleeping tight… well done.

hippy

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 pm

liz said:

The email's on its way. It'll take us several hours to get mails to everyone on the list; there are >100k mailing list members, so we have to send mail out over a period in small batches to avoid putting too much additional strain on the server. (I only got mine about five minutes ago.) You're not missing much; the text is broadly the same as what you've already seen on the main page.
Thanks for the clarifiction. But can we assume then that any announcement of when R-Pi go on sale will be for a time after which everyone will have received Mailing List notification ? That is it cant be an "on sale now" announcement at 06:00, or is the actual selling date not going to be announced via the Mailing List ?

liz

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:02 am

I suggest you read what I've tweeted and responded to front-page comments this evening, and join the dots.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Alchemy

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 am

I'm looking forward to 2 things. 10,000 people doing interesting things. And the weird un-boxing video of the evaluation board being pulled from airmail envelope and nothing else with 1,000,000 youtube views.

fireraisr

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 am

bwoodbury said:

The forum requires math to be able to post. Don't help the people that can't add/subtract!

(I'm in california too and was hoping to get his board)

tritonium

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 am

one hundred thousand!

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND!!!!

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND??????

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND???????????????

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got to be kidding

nope its not April 1st

worse than e-bay

5-4-3-2-1..............crash

paypal, credit card, alarm clock

tic

tic

tic

tic

Turbo-Frambozenbier

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:41 am

liz said:

I suggest you read what I've tweeted and responded to front-page comments this evening, and join the dots.

I dare not risk it.

I've been toturing my whole family about this for months now.

I'm on a training course in the middle of nowhere all week, so I'm driving home tomorrow night to get on a decent internet connection first thing Wednesday morning, then driving back to my course for 9:00 (about a 250 mile round trip).

Would be interesting to see how far people will go just to get to a web browser on Wednesday.

So go on, who's making the most ridiculous round trip home and back on Tuesday night just to get a RasPi?

Turbo

Lakes

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:19 am

And the crowd goes wild!, people are throwing money at Liz and shouting take my Money!, take it now!!

1ne2woBe

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 am

fireraisr said:

bwoodbury said:

The forum requires math to be able to post. Don't help the people that can't add/subtract!

(I'm in california too and was hoping to get his board)

LOL, Cali-boy here as well. I was reading everyone else's PST times and was thinking I had messed up my math! Glad to have read your post to confirm I was correct from the beginning. LOL

Normally, I wake up at 4:01am PST everyday for work, so I guess I'll just wake up a few minutes earlier. However, I have not received my email yet, and if receiving an email prior to purchasing is required, I may be screwed as I go to bed here within the next hour for work.

Also, if PayPal is the only option for purchase, someone will be able to get my board. "F" PayPal!

bwoodbury

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 am

For payments the FAQ page says

How can I pay for it?

We will accept most major cards, PayPal, and offline payments.

Bakul Shah

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:17 am

rurwin said:

It's Microsoft, and they paid to upgrade the CPU to an ARM7. It will be the first computer to ship with Windows 8 and the entire Office suite, plus it will play all of the modern games.

NB: this is a joke (I hope )

Not Microsoft but may be another Seattle company is involved? Speculation based on three things Liz said on Twitter. Makes sense given all the buzz but of course I may be connecting the wrong dots!

DavidK

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:21 am

I get that you can't tell us exactly what's happening, but can you tell us why the hell it's happening at 6 in the freaking morning?

TheEponymousBob

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:23 am

Presumably because it"s not 6 in the freaking morning for everyone.

1ne2woBe

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:24 am

bwoodbury said:

For payments the FAQ page says

How can I pay for it?

We will accept most major cards, PayPal, and offline payments.

Yes, I remember reading that as well... however, I have found some places use PayPal as a CC 'processor', even though they say "You do not need to create a PayPal account in order to use this method of payment"... though PP is still implemented.

We'll see though. I am certainly hoping for the best.

OK, alarm is set, and I am laying in bed watching Family Guy before falling a sleep. See everyone at the races!

rwgast

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:04 am

Well first of all my math is not wrong 11pm + 7 hours would be 6am.... ALTHOUGH I admit my time was wrong. I read another post earlier where someone else had said the release was 10pm on the west coast. Now I had no idea what the Pacific/GMT timezone difference was, i had to look it up. The site i looked at said the conversion from 6:00am GMT was 11:00pm Pacific, after realizing this was wrong i went back to the same site and realized I was reading Pacific daylight savings time.... Glad you guys caught that mistake now I know to get off the wifi and plug in the Ethernet cord at 9:30pm! Just got a good deal on a 20inch monitor with DVI too!

Im really hoping i get one of these first batch boards, but im really concerend about the price and shipping time to the US. That is nuts there is 100k people on the mailing list alone, that means at least 75k people are going to be battling it out waiting at there computer as soon as the first 10,000 boards are released, I need an arm board asap im starting to wish i would have budgeted enough money to get a beagle board if i miss out on the PI. Im not a huge Fedora/Debian fan so i plan on doing a Linux From Scratch install which means its going to be a bit before the I even get my board running! Hopefully the second batch wont take more than a few days to a week to start shipping.

Skygod

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:29 am

06:00 GMT is a very comfortable 13:00 here. No early morning fumbling about

Return to “General discussion”