Nannerman

Going to buy a Raspi- begginer questions

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:15 am

I'm planning on ordering a Raspberry Pi (model B) today or tomorrow, but first I have a couple questions.

-What are some thing that you people with Raspberry Pi-s wish you had bought when you first got your Rpi?

-Has anyone had success with any of the 4 or 8 GB SD cards on MCM Electronics? (link: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/search.aspx?C=0000000553 )

I intend to use the Raspberry Pi to learn more about computers, electronics, and programming. I want to become a mechanical engineer someday, and I'm guessing it would help to have these skills on hand, whether I use them or not.
And I want to have fun doing projects, of course.

Thanks!

zardoz66

Re: Going to buy a Raspi- begginer questions

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:56 am

main things to have.

nice 5v 1000mA power adaptor (mains)
keyboard
mouse
HDMI or RCA video cable(s)
USB cable for the power
at least 2GB SDcard
display

after the above a nice powered USB hub, that can come in handy. Also a USB to SD card reader
Zardoz
Raspberry Pi 3 | Raspbian Jessie | 32GB Samsung EVO+ | D-Link 7 port USB HUB | Sabrent CRW-EXT 6-Slot Card Reader | 64GB USB Storage. Other RPi's - 2x RPi1b, 1x Rpi1b+ 1x Rpi2b, 2x Rpi3b
Join us on IRC #raspberrypi at https://webchat.freenode.net/

tonyhughes

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:17 am

Get a 4GB or bigger SD card. Have it imaged with Raspbian before your Pi arrives, so you can get going immediately.

Good quality PSU. iPad charger is great!

Case. I didn't have one for a few weeks and it really irked me.

Nannerman

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:40 am

Woah, didn't expect such fast replies.

Thanks for the input. It sounds like I've got most of what I need.
I already have the keyboard, mouse, display, the card reader, USB cable, and power supply (a decent one)

I'll order a 4gb sd card (planning on using my flash drive if I need more), a powered hub, an HDMI cable, and an RCA cable. I'm glad you brought the RCA cable up, I need one and completley forgot about it.

I'll make a case from scratch.

Can't wait to get it........

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:47 am

If you have a monitor/TV with an HDMI input, you won't need an RCA cable - that's only for very low-resolution "olde-school" monitors that will be difficult to read text on, especially on a GUI desktop.

There is a hardware compatibility page on the eLinux.org wiki (along with tons of other very useful info) at:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

and the page dealing specifically with SD cards is at:

http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

The wiki is the long-term repository for info about the Pi, and tends to be organized much more concisely than the discussions here in the forum, some threads of which run more than 20 pages over nearly a year in duration! Some thread info is just plain wrong or outdated here, also, while the wiki usually has the most up-to-date info published pretty much the day it occurs, in most cases.

When I was a shiny young new engineer going through nuclear engineering training in the Navy, one of my instructors wisely told us, "In 10 years, there will be two kinds of engineers, those who understand computers and software, and those who are unemployed ... that was in 1976! Imagine how true that is today, given the increasing importance of computing in virtually every facet of our daily lives. You most likely will be engineering robotic systems of some sort during most of your future career, as the engineering of components is pretty much preprogrammed today in computer-aided design, which was mostly computer-aided drawing/drafting in my early engineering days. Those who can successfully capture engineering disciplines in software will make those who don't unemployed and unemployable.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Nannerman

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi Jim,

I'll just be getting the RCA so that just incase I find a free monitor lying around I could use it. It only costs a dollar, so I might as well keep my options open.

Good to hear that the wiki is useful. Seems like it has everything on there.

I managed to find a verified SD card on the MCM site that I'm ordering from.

I've got pretty good mechanical engineering skill, but I've never known really what to do around computers. I think I'm on the right track to learn the basics of computer engineering though, between the Raspberry Pi and my highschool CAD class.

Thanks for all the help, I'll be ordering today

Return to “General discussion”