az

Re: Suitable HDMI Monitor

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Does anyone know of a cheap HDMI monitor to use with Raspberry Pi? I'd like to use it in the control system for my ROV project. Preferably, the monitor would be under $100, and size doesn't matter (10.1" is fine).

Thanks in advance! :D

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:16 pm

You could probably find something on eBay - a second-hand DVI monitor would suit you and should come in under £100.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

abishur

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:31 am

If you're worried about cost, you can always get an hdmi to dvi convertor for less than $10 I think. Otherwise, the r-pi has a composite (RCA) output as well so you could use any TV/Monitor that has RCA in it (Of course if you RCA, your resolution doesn't get to be as impressive ;) )
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

tentimes

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:31 am

Places like Aria.co.uk and (to a lesser extent) Amazon have new HDMI monitors for under £100. Luckily I have loads of monitors here and the HDMI makes it really easy to plugin.

Also, check you TV! Most modern ones have HDMI ports.

az

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Ah, thanks for the suggestions. I will go check Amazon and eBay.

Although, I was mainly looking for something cheap and portable, to stuff into a briefcase. I do not need the full resolution capacity (and certainly not a TV) for a simple control interface.

hordecore

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:04 am

Also from my own experience check out car boot sales. Picked up an excellent monitor which is perfect for R-Pi for £35. It works a peach

Cafe

Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:06 am

Here is an Alibaba link to a 7" HDMI monitor. It even has built-in rechargeable battery: http://bit.ly/rne7nf (A monitor with the same spec is also sold in Lilliput brand in the US/UK for a much higher price.)

The problem is, for some reason, HDMI monitors tend to include Yipper connectors as well making them not very attractive to be used as a handheld. Maybe due to these connectors, the monitors also tend to be thicker, and considerably heavier, than USB monitors.

jerrylamos

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:29 pm

I'm using a Coby TV from WallMart, new cost $80. It's 1366x768 15" diagonal.screen with HDMI. Now for some reason config.txt said 1280x720 so I changed that. Also, overscan left top and bottom black border so I changed that to -16.
Seems these days 1366x768 is pretty common video format. You can get some odd results with non-standard formats.
Sits on a table next to my dining room chair. We had the TV in the bedroom and wasn't being used.

reiuyi

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:13 pm

I can only advice you to have a walk around a couple of garage sales and tech dumpsters (you know, the tech recycling part of your city's disposal service).

In the past I found true marvellous pieces at garage sales for only a couple of euros. If you ask your neighbours if they have an old TV or computer screen in their attic they want to get rid of, you'll get tons of them for free or a couple of quid (heck if you carry it out yourself it's often free). I also did this loads of times, it really pays off. Dumpster diving isn't my favourite activity, but I can't believe what some people throw away at recycling centres. In the past I found DJ mixing sets, >12inch speakers, more TVs than I can carry home with me, old LP players, wooden stereos and radios.. the list goes on forever!

One person's trash is another person's treasure :D

Jim JKla

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:17 pm

As for a moitor lower your sights It does not have to be HDMI My first Spectrum monitor was a 5 inch screen TV and thats not a typo. :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

kyelo

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:57 pm

I got an old DVI-D monitor free from a Windows 2000 system that was destined for the junk store. You then have to use a HDMI-to-DVI-D adapter cable, but they are cheap, and then you have to use the analogue output for sound. But this arrangement works well and the price was right.

If you are in the USA, look in craigslist.com for your area. In my area at any given time there are usually 3 or 4 DVI-D monitors listed for sale in the $10-50 USD range. These monitors are out there, you just have to look.

Return to “General discussion”