liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Mobile site updated to look prettier and work better

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:42 pm

If you've got a moment, point your phone at http://www.raspberrypi.org and let us know what you think. (Of course, if you can't be bothered typing all that in, you can use the QR code on the most recent post on the front page.)

If you've got problems with it, please let us know what phone/browser you're using. And "the search button is too small" is not a problem - you can zoom, or use a smaller finger than the one you're using at the moment.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

paulie

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:04 am

Yes, it does exactly what it says on the tin.
Thank you.
Especially as you are sooooo busy right now, you can still think of the little things that make a difference.
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

TheEponymousBob

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:10 am

Have just given it a try on my iPhone (4, Safari). Looks great. Two things: firstly I couldn"t find a link to the forum from the homepage (not sure if it should appear under the "arrow" icon at the top left, but that didn"t do anything when clicked), though appending "/forum" to the URL got me there. Secondly, once at the forum, the "login" button did nothing.

Still works fine on th"iPad though.

Tass

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:17 am

Great new look!  No issues that I can see, but a wishlist item would be an integrated Android app for the forums

liz

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:27 am

TheEponymousBob said:

Have just given it a try on my iPhone (4, Safari). Looks great. Two things: firstly I couldn"t find a link to the forum from the homepage (not sure if it should appear under the "arrow" icon at the top left, but that didn"t do anything when clicked), though appending "/forum" to the URL got me there. Secondly, once at the forum, the "login" button did nothing.

Still works fine on th"iPad though.

You can get to it from that arrow icon. (It's not super-intuitive, but at least it's nice and low-bandwidth!) TBH, I don't expect most people who are using their phones to be using the forums much; it's such a pain typing on the things.

Tass

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:33 am

liz said:

TBH, I don't expect most people who are using their phones to be using the forums much; it's such a pain typing on the things.

True, typing's a pain, although it's the one thing keeping us connected with the project while we're away from our desktops (you know, meals, family responsibilities, etc., )

TheEponymousBob

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:37 am

Interestingly, I tried again with the iCab browser, and both the arrow drop-down and forum login worked fine. Must therefore be a problem with Apple"s Nitro JS engine, since all third-party browsers on iOS have to use the Webkit renderer, but can"t use the Nitro engine due to sandboxing (though I had thought they were supposed to have fixed that somehow).

Anyway, upshot is: it"s Apple"s fault; workaround is to use a third-party browsing app if you really want to use the forum on your iPhone.

Tass

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:40 am

TheEponymousBob said:

Anyway, upshot is: it"s Apple"s fault; workaround is to use a third-party browsing app if you really want to use the forum on your iPhone.

Forums are fine from the standard Anroid browser too (Galaxy S/Gingerbread)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:45 am

No problem on iPhone using Safari here. Forum link and login worked as expected.

Quoting is still a bit broken (but always has been from iOS safari).

liz

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:45 am

TheEponymousBob said:

Interestingly, I tried again with the iCab browser, and both the arrow drop-down and forum login worked fine. Must therefore be a problem with Apple"s Nitro JS engine, since all third-party browsers on iOS have to use the Webkit renderer, but can"t use the Nitro engine due to sandboxing (though I had thought they were supposed to have fixed that somehow).

My iPhone is a 3G, and it's OK on that; looks like a 4GS issue. Getting the mobile stuff right for everyone is very difficult; there are SO MANY different platforms out there. Someone on Twitter was just saying it works on a tablet I've never even heard of; and knowing about hardware is something I'm meant to be on top of!

Bakul Shah

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:50 am

If you"ve got a moment, point your phone at http://www.raspberrypi.org and let us know what you think. (Of course, if you can"t be bothered typing all that in, you can use the QR code on the most recent post on the front page.)

If you"ve got problems with it, please let us know what phone/browser you"re using. And "the search button is too small" is not a problem - you can zoom, or use a smaller finger than the one you"re using at the moment.

Much better! Thanks! Some suggestions: I don"t mind the html much but the reply form needs to be fixed up to separate new input from the quoted part -- here I added blockquote manually. Typing on the iPhone is painful but I can do so while waiting. Ideally all forms should be zoomable and not fixed form. This response typed in safari. Haven"t tried Opera. Thanks.

TheEponymousBob

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:52 am

Well how peculiar. Hard restarting the browser got the forum link working, but not the login; wiping all website data and closing tabs got the lot working fine.

Workaround 2: ignore everything I say.

n3tw0rk5

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:27 am

Working well with the standard android browser and also Dolphin HD ( Arc s/gingerbead)

pluggster

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:08 am

Forums on iPhone 3GS landscape mode in safari fine .. You can pinch and zoom to see all content

Forums on iPhone 3GS portrait mode in safari no fine .. No pinch and zoom and not all of the postings show

Great work with the new look and feel tho .. Opera was becoming painful!

Sent from my iPhone

[blows raspberry]

1 + 10 = 11 ... Bout time!

rwgast

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:17 am

I acually almost exclusively use the forums from my phone, when im at my desk im to busy to look at the forums lol. Anyways it all looks great BUT at least on my phone when viewing the forums in the standard android browser sometimes the right side of a post gets completely cut off usually flipping to landscape fixes this but even then every once and a while the right side of the post is cut off by a word or two. Id imagine this is a wordpress problem but still very annoying and completely random as far as what posts get cut and which ones dont. Ill post a screen shot in a few, in case what im trying to say makes no sense.

rwgast

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:41 am

Ok here we go just took these pics and added put them in my dropbox. Anyways the bug isnt as random as i thought, from the looks of things it a problem with the word wrapping when there is a line with no spaces that is longer than the width of the screen. Does anyone else have this problem when on there phone in the forums?

Jessie

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:59 am

I'm and iPhone4 user and it looks much better.  The fact that I can zoom out and in makes it much more useable.  Threads still default with the right side cut off but a quick zoom out fixes it.  Thanks, we know you are busy right now.  I haven't tried to post or anything with my phone but useability looks much improved.

Phill

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 am

Ok here we go just took these pics and added put them in my dropbox. Anyways the bug isnt as random as i thought, from the looks of things it a problem with the word wrapping when there is a line with no spaces that is longer than the width of the screen. Does anyone else have this problem when on there phone in the forums?

Yup. I"ve had this problem for awhile with the desktop version and now with the mobile version too. I tried using Opera on iPhone and that renders threads a bit better than Safari.

Mezo

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:18 am

Tapatalk, its just so much easier & its half hour of admins time to instal it.

Mezo.

rwgast

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:25 am

Well on Android you can double tap to zoom out, zoom back in be pinching and the post wont get cut off but you are forced to use horizontal scrolling. This also happens with the Dolphin-HD browser on Android and opera. Although there is a new browser called Ninesky which doesn't have this problem. So theres two work arounds ive found although there annoying you can at least read the post!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:38 am

Using an Archos 80 G9 tablet (Honeycomb/std browser) and all is working as it should.

This is going to be my OI! The RaspPi"s on sale! device for the rest of the week......
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

rwgast

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:16 am

Its working fine on your tablet becuase it doesnt have a 3.5 inch screen so having a really long link doesnt break the word wrap since the screen is wide enough to show the link and then some on the same line. If you were to come across a a line with no spaces longer than the width of your screen you would have the same problem my friend.

itnufc

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:56 am

is there a way of using the desktop site. the mobile off button just reloads the mobil page?

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:23 am

rwgast said:

Its working fine on your tablet becuase it doesnt have a 3.5 inch screen so having a really long link doesnt break the word wrap since the screen is wide enough to show the link and then some on the same line. If you were to come across a a line with no spaces longer than the width of your screen you would have the same problem my friend.

Its a mobile device running Android, so a usability report is valid.

Of course, there are always problems when shoehorning functionality into a device/form factor that was originally devised for another (single) purpose. You just have to accept the limitations... 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

teh_orph

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39 am

This is a huge improvement! Although the person"s avatar (and the light blue box they"re rendered in) next to each post takes a huge amount of screen space, which compresses the actual content on the right. And if there are any quoted sections, each line only contains one word!

Opera mobile, SGS2.

Return to “General discussion”