hsoftdev17

Re: Bluray Support

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:37 am

I was wondering if anyone has assembled any sort of list of compatible USB Bluray Drives.  There is not a topic on the FAQ anywhere that I noticed and I didn't stumble onto anything on the wiki, so I figured I''d ask here.

The purpose of my question is the goal of giving completely legal HD content to the Raspi for media center like things.  I have piles of Blurays and I''d love to be able to play them with the Raspi.  Thanks in advance everyone.  :)

Jessie

Re: Bluray Support

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:49 am

hsoftdev17 said:

I was wondering if anyone has assembled any sort of list of compatible USB Bluray Drives.  There is not a topic on the FAQ anywhere that I noticed and I didn't stumble onto anything on the wiki, so I figured I"'d ask here.

The purpose of my question is the goal of giving completely legal HD content to the Raspi for media center like things.  I have piles of Blurays and I"'d love to be able to play them with the Raspi.  Thanks in advance everyone.  :)

Any BluRay drive compatible with Linux should work.  Just so you know, this device won't play any movies encoded with any type of DRM without first striping the DRM.  It also dosn't support any movies encoded with VC-1 without transcoding into a supported format.  So the simple way to put this is you won't be playing any BluRays directly off the disk.

You can, however, rip your purchased BluRays to a media server and have it transcode anything that isn't H.264 to H.264.  Based upon my library I would say that about 2/3rds of the movies are already H.264 and the rest are VC-1 (a few older titles were MPEG-2.)  But, that is a limited sampling of movies.

This has been discussed to death if you run a search.

Return to “General discussion”