Page 2 of 3

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:49 am
by psergiu
nmcc said:


Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.


... And our Raspberries are carefully tested in the meantime. One by one. All ten thousands of them ...

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 am
by alexjj
haha...wait, what was this thread about?

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:09 pm
by Wooloomooloo
alexjj said:


haha...wait, what was this thread about?


I can't say for sure, but I think initially it was about how the probability of ordering a RasPi "before the end of this month" rapidly converges towards the probability of having one for xmas last year... or something like that...

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:12 pm
by RaTTuS
You can lead a horse to water

but a pencil must be lead

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 pm
by Joules
I can see Raspi at the event horizon, my arm is now a million miles long if I can just reach a couple more inches.......................... ?

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:56 pm
by grumpyoldgit
Wooloomooloo said:


Joe Schmoe said:


Ever hear the expression "A watched pot never boils" ??


Nonsense. It boils at roughly 2519 °C, whether you watch it or not, as long as it's made of aluminium, for instance (note to the maintainers of Firefox's spell checker: there's no such thing as "aluminum").


I thought water generally boiled at 100 °C at sea level. Are you trying to boil your kettle to make a cup of tea up a mountain?

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 pm
by Jongoleur
Joules said:


I can see Raspi at the event horizon, my arm is now a million miles long if I can just reach a couple more inches.......................... ?



Be careful - it may collapse into a singularity....

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:06 pm
by Wooloomooloo
Grumpyoldgit said:


Wooloomooloo said:


Joe Schmoe said:


Ever hear the expression "A watched pot never boils" ??


Nonsense. It boils at roughly 2519 °C, whether you watch it or not, as long as it's made of aluminium, for instance (note to the maintainers of Firefox's spell checker: there's no such thing as "aluminum").


I thought water generally boiled at 100 °C at sea level. Are you trying to boil your kettle to make a cup of tea up a mountain?


Wait, there was water in that pot too? Oh, I see. That changes everything. Except the boiling point of aluminium, of course. Unless it's on a mountain.

No matter - I can just throw the water out and reduce the problem to the already known previous case.

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:16 pm
by grumpyoldgit
Wooloomooloo said:


Grumpyoldgit said:


Wooloomooloo said:


Joe Schmoe said:


Ever hear the expression "A watched pot never boils" ??


Nonsense. It boils at roughly 2519 °C, whether you watch it or not, as long as it's made of aluminium, for instance (note to the maintainers of Firefox's spell checker: there's no such thing as "aluminum").


I thought water generally boiled at 100 °C at sea level. Are you trying to boil your kettle to make a cup of tea up a mountain?


Wait, there was water in that pot too? Oh, I see. That changes everything. Except the boiling point of aluminium, of course. Unless it's on a mountain.

No matter - I can just throw the water out and reduce the problem to the already known previous case.


I knew I was going to regret making that comment. I just didn't look for the catch closely enough!

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:00 pm
by crundy
What the hell did I just read?

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:11 pm
by grumpyoldgit
Me looking an idiot because I didn't read the posting close enough!

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:12 pm
by Helpme1986
Crundy said:


What the hell did I just read?


haha, i thought the same thing, can sense a lock coming, or does a watched thread never get locked? (Lame attempt at humor i know!)

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:08 pm
by max360se
I'm closer to Pi's then you are , well at least for now when they are in China.

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:16 pm
by Alchemy
Do we know if the R-pi passed tests in China and where they are today?

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:19 pm
by RaTTuS
Alchemy said:


Do we know if the R-pi passed tests in China and where they are today?


no [as in no we don't know]

no idea

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:20 pm
by abishur
Alchemy said:


Do we know if the R-pi passed tests in China and where they are today?



Nope, when they have information for us it *will* be posted on the front page.  Until then there's really no point in asking I fear.

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:24 pm
by Tass
max360se said:


I'm closer to Pi's then you are , well at least for now when they are in China.



Well, that's if they're still in china!!

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:24 pm
by tufty
Are we there yet, dad?  Are we there yet, dad?  Are we there yet, dad?

<repeat until :banhammer:>

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:31 pm
by Jongoleur
YOU'LL KNOW WHEN THE PI IS ON SALE, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET INTO THE FORUMS!!!

Ahem....

Ok kids, calm down in the back or I'll get the wooden spoon out and smack the first one to come in range!

Seriously, I noticed on the Twitter stream that the intention is to replace the home page of the forum with a static HTML page just to prevent the place from grinding to a halt.  When you see that, head straight to the Shoppe!

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:40 pm
by Alchemy
I noticed on twitter yesterday "Raspberry_Pi @hideki_adam There will be an announcement on the website about that later on. " in reply to "hideki_adam @Raspberry_Pi Do we know how much the postage is likely to be on top of the price (within the UK) when it does become buyable?"

So after over 24 hours I asked if I'd missed an announcement.

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:42 pm
by grumpyoldgit
You need to read the FAQ and wiki.

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:44 pm
by Tass
My guess is that the foundation are taking a sneaky approach - the Pis are already in the UK and they'll put them on sale at 4AM on Sunday morning.

I'm planning on a series of 23-hour days, fueled by caffine & junk food (and pies), until I can place my order!

The risk here however is that I might be so delusional by then that I'll hallucinate buying one, go to bed for 3 days, and wake up to find out I've missed the actual sale!!

It's a tough decision to make...

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:49 pm
by TheEponymousBob
I think the point is that if/when there is news, you"ll have to be trying hard to miss it, so if you can"t see anything obvious, there is no news.

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:56 pm
by Tass
TheEponymousBob said:


I think the point is that if/when there is news, you"ll have to be trying hard to miss it, so if you can"t see anything obvious, there is no news.


Ah ha!!  You're in on it too, trying to lull me into a sense of false security, getting me to leave my laptop for those few precious minutes!! 

EDIT: Just in case there's any doubt, this is my weak attempt at humor, and subtle way to waste away the last few hours of my Friday afternoon

Re: Thought it would come yesterday

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 pm
by Alchemy
TheEponymousBob said:


I think the point is that if/when there is news, you"ll have to be trying hard to miss it, so if you can"t see anything obvious, there is no news.


I think being all alone and therefore unwatched I boiled.