Tass

Re: Where could tutorials go?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:41 pm

If I had written a tutorial, on how to write the Debian image to an SD Card for instance, in PDF format, is there anywhere on this site that I might be able to put it?  If not, can someone recommend a service like PhotoBucket I could use?

EDIT: Is something like MediaFire trustworthy?

JeremyF

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:33 am

I recommend getting a Dropbox account and putting in your Public folder. This is the best way, and short of running your own server, the easiest to update as well.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

Tass

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:34 am

Great, thanks!

obarthelemy

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 am

The way people are replacing perfectly good open protocols with closed ones seems very short-sighted to me.

1- You can put tutorials in a very basic HTML page with links to our tutorials, I"m sure your ISP offers you plenty of space do to that. Or you can drop them in an FTP server, I"m sure your ISP offers that too.

2- Also, doing the tutorial in HTML instead of PDF would let it be more easily viewable on a variety of devices/screen sizes. Unless you really, really need the precise layout control PDF offers (hardware schematics maybe), HTML is much more fun to read on mobile devices, especially because mobile browsers that are quite good at re-flowing documents, as opposed to pdf readers which aren"t and require a lot of scrolling and panning.

I know I let out an exasperated sigh everytime I get pointed at a PDF. Half the time I"ll give up. With a HTML file, I"ll go to it, and maybe bookmark it in Read It Later, or save it locally. I"ve stopped bookmarking/saving PDFs, since I never got around to reading them, especially on my phone or tablet.

abishur

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 am

If it's a video, I'd put it on youtube, it's a document, I'd put it in the General Discussion Forum.  It's my experience that if people have to download it to watch/read it, they're less likely to actually look at it.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

bitplane

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:34 am

Do we have a wiki? If not, I dare say we need one.

grumpyoldgit

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:38 am

I was quite surprised that I ended up downloading a document that I then had to open, rather than being sent to a web page

grumpyoldgit

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 am

bitplane said:

See top of page.

bitplane

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:46 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

bitplane said:

See top of page.

Ugh, how could I miss that?!

Thank you!

Tass

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 am

obarthelemy said:

The way people are replacing perfectly good open protocols with closed ones seems very short-sighted to me.

Well then, I suppose I'll go teach myself HTML.  Maybe learning a new skill like that will help me be less short-sighted in future...

meltwater

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:22 am

There are places for tutorials in the wiki, you are welcome to use it.

You can link directly to your own page or files, or create your own wiki content, whichever is easiest for you!

One other to hosting your own webpage, is to create a blog and post it there (it is very simple format html), that way you don't have to host anything!

Again link it from the wiki and people should be able to find it.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

bredman

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:42 am

You are welcome to put any tutorials into the official wiki at http://elinux.org/RPi_Projects

You do not need to know HTML to use a wiki, just paste in the text. The only thing you have to be careful with is to add an extra blank line after every paragraph.

If the formatting looks bad and you don't know how to fix it, just put a note at the top asking for somebody to tidy it up for you.

obarthelemy

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:59 am

My apologies, I didn't mean to be rude.

Seriously though, I am very far from a competent dev, and I did put up a web page full of links to stuff a while back. There's a header and footer to cut and paste, and then a bunch of <A HREF=> tags with links to each of your files to add in the middle. 10 minutes of googling tops (as opposed to googling for Linuw info, which takes forever ^^)

Chris.Rowland

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:38 am

Compared to Export to Pdf... in LibreOffice 10 minutes of googling plus a load of setting up image files is a lot.

It's the one file containing everything aspect that makes pdf format attractive.

Chris

Tass

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 am

No need for apologies - I was only being slightly sarcastic   There were real intentions behind my comment though - you make some good argunments and it shouldn't take much for me to figure it out.  What's slightly more embarassing is I'm actually a development manager for a IT firm that focuses on .net development - I REALLY SHOULD know this

Prometheus

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:13 pm

obarthelemy said:

Please pardon my slight off-topicness, but I was of the impression that PDF is an open standard (ISO 32000-1:2008). Is it not?

oninoshiko

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Prometheus said:

obarthelemy said:

Please pardon my slight off-topicness, but I was of the impression that PDF is an open standard (ISO 32000-1:2008). Is it not?

You are correct! PDF is a perfectly good open standard.

You win a Internets!

Return to “General discussion”