TeaAddict

Raspberry Pi Mini

Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:55 am

Hello!

I have a thought:

A Raspberry Pi Mini.

I slapped together this simple representation of what it might theoretically look like. Basically, I just removed the composite video port, the analog audio port, the CSI and DSI connectors, and the Ethernet port/chip, and one USB port. I removed the male GPIO headers, giving the user the option to solder their own connections on, or leave it blank.

Also, to save space on the board, it could use a MicroSD card instead of a regular SD.

The dimensions would be about 5.1cm (2 inches) long, and 4cm (1.57 inches) wide, as compared to the 8.5cm by 5.5cm of the Model B Raspberry Pi.

It was just an idea I had one day while I was thinking "How could I make a credit card sized computer smaller?" :lol: . It would be a good option of an even cheaper and smaller media center, and its smaller size would make it even easier to put inside an electronics project.

Any possibility of something like this ever happening?
n00b at electronics, n00b at programming...

But EXPERT at asking questions

Cloudcentric

Re: Raspberry Pi Mini

Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:13 am

The subject of changing the Pi has been DONE-TO-DEATH, the RPF have categorically said NO NO NO.
I know everything about nothing"

goujam

Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:31 am

This reminds me of work the mechanical guys give a PCB space and when I say that's too small they put a load of parts on the board. The I ask where are the tracks going what about ground planes and what about heat dissipation. I just get a blank look and get told there just liquorice allsorts can't they just go anywhere !

canibalimao

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 am

I can't see your point... RaspberryPi isn't small enough? Why you need a RPi MINI?

mikerr

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:47 am

I'm not a big fan of the current "ports on all sides" design, especially HDMI at the side
a PCB redesign is a big cost for RPi - the RPi is all about low cost.

Note the Model A uses the same PCB as the model B for that reason.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

TeaAddict

Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm not a big fan of the current "ports on all sides" design, especially HDMI at the side
This "mini" design would have the HDMI and USB port on the same side.
a PCB redesign is a big cost for RPi - the RPi is all about low cost.
That's true. A redesign might be out of the question. Like I said, this was just a thought.

Cloudcentric

Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Waste of Forum Space..................

mikerr

Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:08 pm

TeaAddict wrote:
This "mini" design would have the HDMI and USB port on the same side.
I'd call that the "back", not the side ;)

I use one of these as a result of the HDMI positioning:

hmdi right angle adaptor - HK ebay special for 99p
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

zardoz66

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Kind of funny how these "special needs/wants" request keep coming in. Here is some food for thought for these people. This board is dam small as it is, and offers a great set of ports for most every common need. adding more or making it "smaller" would drive the cost up. Making it less function will make it less usable for some people.

What you have to look at here are 2 factors. usability and cost, and for the function that the foundation was aiming for I think they hit the nail on the head.
Zardoz
Raspberry Pi 3 | Raspbian Jessie | 32GB Samsung EVO+ | D-Link 7 port USB HUB | Sabrent CRW-EXT 6-Slot Card Reader | 64GB USB Storage. Other RPi's - 2x RPi1b, 1x Rpi1b+ 1x Rpi2b, 2x Rpi3b
Join us on IRC #raspberrypi at https://webchat.freenode.net/

Cloudcentric

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 pm

You can please some people some of time, but not everybody all of the time !

The OP is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land !

tonyhughes

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Won't get into personal stuff about the OP, but yeah, the Pi is fantastic, plus with virtually no fragmentation, it is very easy to develop software and hardware for "Pi as a platform".

It is small and light, and to all intents and purposes from a "PC" point of view is the equivalent of a basic mini-ITX PC that fits in an altoids tin.

Wow.

For me, it is very telling that quadcopters have been built with them - those guys are looking for light weight!

sej7278

Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:11 pm

the usb power port being where it is is a bit of a pain - essentially the board becomes a bit of a spider even in headless mode you've got to have cables coming out of both ends, and at least 3 sides when used with a display, given that apparently the 3.5mm audio output is useless, i begs the question why it was fitted at all.

personally i'd rather the usb problems get sorted out rather than a board redesign however.

kbailey

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:10 pm

you need 1 usb port to nurse a hub. micro chip rocks. hdmi??? Why? They are a new technology, and tying up the telly is not a good move, OLD used SVGA monoitors surplus from business' as they replace with new ones are a glut on the market.

OK, RBF said no, so it's n o, but hindsight is 20/20, right?
or is it? :?
-Cheers!
-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-_-=-
Computers are the new Logos.
Does this compute?

tonyhughes

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:20 pm

kbailey wrote:you need 1 usb port to nurse a hub. micro chip rocks. hdmi??? Why? They are a new technology, and tying up the telly is not a good move, OLD used SVGA monoitors surplus from business' as they replace with new ones are a glut on the market.

OK, RBF said no, so it's n o, but hindsight is 20/20, right?
or is it? :?
This isn't hindsight that the RPF seems to be having, so whether it's 20/20 is moot. There is a laundry list of detractors for the RPIs decisions about the board, but the decisions weren't made lightly, and overall, the number of fans far exceeds the number of detractors.

You tell all the people with Raspberry Pis using them as media centers, with a power cable, an HDMI cable, and a WLAN adapter, watching movies in glorius 1080p that tying their Pi up to the telly is not a good idea.

Good on RPI for cutting out the old, and moving on with new technology. It was the right choice IMO. Anyone who wants to run a VGA monitor can get a converter. If they did VGA instead, they wouldn't have been able to convert the other way.

zardoz66

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:30 pm

I like the fact it has HDMI native. it's very simple to convert it down to just about anything for little cost. I was abler to get a HDMI to DVI adapter for like 5 bucks.
Zardoz
Raspberry Pi 3 | Raspbian Jessie | 32GB Samsung EVO+ | D-Link 7 port USB HUB | Sabrent CRW-EXT 6-Slot Card Reader | 64GB USB Storage. Other RPi's - 2x RPi1b, 1x Rpi1b+ 1x Rpi2b, 2x Rpi3b
Join us on IRC #raspberrypi at https://webchat.freenode.net/

Cloudcentric

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Easy answer, if you do not like the design, buy something else. Or create your own board to compete ?

TeaAddict

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:30 am

Easy answer, if you do not like the design, buy something else. Or create your own board to compete ?
You can please some people some of time, but not everybody all of the time !
On the contrary, I love the RPi. This was just an idea I had.

LemmeFatale

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:46 am

kbailey wrote:hdmi??? Why? They are a new technology,
The hardware used in the Raspberry Pi was, apparently, so I've read, originally designed for media-centric hardware (I've seen the Roku streaming-box specifically named, here). Like so many SoCs (System-on-a-Chip, which is just what the name implies) from media-boxes, mobile telephones and so on, it includes HDMI (a standard that has been around for a decade, now) and composite "for free", as it were, because the SoC can already do these out-of-the-box.

As far as I can see, hindsight has nothing to do with it. The fact is, the Raspberry Pi was designed to a cost, and in this case, one of the victims of this has been an ancient technology that was replaced by another standard several years ago. (Composite, as ancient as it is, is exempted here because, as mentioned, it's essentially a freebie, and opens up the usage of a lot more displays.)
and tying up the telly is not a good move,
Please do forgive me for making an assumption about your age on the basis of just one post (it's not something that I like to do) but I'm guessing that you may perhaps not have been alive to see that this wasn't a problem at all during the affordable-home-computer revolution of the 1980s. ;) The *only* available output for a lot of those machines was - you guessed it - a television. In an era where many households only had one television in the entire house.
OLD used SVGA monoitors surplus from business' as they replace with new ones are a glut on the market.
I must admit, I honestly thought that we'd now moved on to old, used DVI-D monitors (since DVI is several years older than HDMI, and superseded VGA some time ago), to which one can connect HDMI devices using a very cheap in-line adapter, being the business surplus flavour of the month...

Anyway, as others have noted, if there's pressing need to hook a Raspberry Pi up to a VGA monitor, adapters which allow for it are readily available. I would add that they have now begun to become much more affordable than they were even a year or so ago, as far as I'm aware, too. This is one such example, if it's of any help to you (hopefully this link works, but if not, it's listed as the "PiView" on Farnell's website). :)
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

adlambert

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:32 am

HDMI is not new tech, it's 10 years old.

The OP idea is a perfectly reasonable one to float and discuss, even though many will realise that possibly the foundation goals and resources are not compatible with many variations. Just to look at Arduino to see the various form factors including the nano proves that this idea has validity amongst these kind of items.

Never mock people for thinking and sounding ideas.

canibalimao

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:54 am

sej7278 wrote:given that apparently the 3.5mm audio output is useless, i begs the question why it was fitted at all.
The 3.5mm audio output is more necessary than the RCA video output, IMHO.
I use the booth (RCA and 3.5mm) because all of my TV's at home are CRT. But, besides that, even when I use the RPi without a display, I use the audio output to connect the device to a mini speaker. The RPi is great to play radio or music in a corner of the house and, for that, you need the 3.5mm jack.

sej7278

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 am

canibalimao wrote:
sej7278 wrote:given that apparently the 3.5mm audio output is useless, i begs the question why it was fitted at all.
I use the booth (RCA and 3.5mm) because all of my TV's at home are CRT. But, besides that, even when I use the RPi without a display, I use the audio output to connect the device to a mini speaker. The RPi is great to play radio or music in a corner of the house and, for that, you need the 3.5mm jack.
is the 3.5mm audio output any good though, people on here keep going on that its almost silent without an amplifier and at best FM quality?

Cloudcentric

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:55 pm

sej7278 wrote:
canibalimao wrote:
is the 3.5mm audio output any good though, people on here keep going on that its almost silent without an amplifier and at best FM quality?

I was only mocking because the OP has no idea of how to fit real estate on a PCB, he ought to research before posting, but I still stand by you can not please everyone all of the time.

Anyway the OP may be interested in this ? http://apc.io/specifications 13.5W, 9V/1.5A power adaptor

APC consumes 4 watts when operating at idle power and 13.5 watts at maximum load. This is ten times less than a standard PC system and ensures significant power savings in large scale deployments.

I personally bought the Pi for learning and at this price point I am more than happy to put up with the foibles...

canibalimao

Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:40 pm

sej7278 wrote:
canibalimao wrote:
I'll be honest: my phone have a better sound output quality, but this isn't bad at all... To have an audible sound on the mini speaker I have to put MPD volume on 60%, besides that is really good that connection.

The12stringwizard

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Well, If I were to design the model c, I would put the hdmi, composite, and micro usb on one side; and usb, 3.5 mm jack, and sd card on the other, plus the board's edges would be rounded to fit in an altoids tin.
╔MUSB=HDMI=COMP╗
║--------------------------║
║--------------------------║
╚═SD=JACK=2USB═╝
You don't need ethernet, and if you do, you use a usb to ethernet adaptor,
but the mini uses a micro sd slot on the side, and it would look more like this:
╔MUSB=HDMI╗
║----------------MSD
╚JACK=1USB╝

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:22 am

sej7278 wrote:...given that apparently the 3.5mm audio output is useless....
That is a matter of opinion. One of my primary uses for a Pi uses the 3.5mm audio out jack and it works very nicely, thank you. (It's functioning as an internet-based alarm clock and runs headless. I use it to stream the 'net feed of a local Classical FM station.)

Return to “General discussion”