jacklang

Re: Logo Competition

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:29 pm

I would just like to remind people that the words "Raspberry Pi" are the trademark of the Foundation. So if you are thinking of selling your design elsewhere please delete the wording

abishur

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:24 pm

@lakes, well sure if you actually put a face on something then it's going to end up having a recognizable face :P My mind just doesn't make the link looking at the natural logo ;)

I wonder how much it would cost for us to individual purchase a case (or sticker) from a third party retailer with our own logos etched into it. Not trying to diss the winner, I just put a lot of work into the logo I did and think it would be fun to sneak it onto my privately used box for my own personal amusement :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Quote from abishur on October 14, 2011, 19:24

I wonder how much it would cost for us to individual purchase a case (or sticker) from a third party retailer with our own logos etched into it. Not trying to diss the winner, I just put a lot of work into the logo I did and think it would be fun to sneak it onto my privately used box for my own personal amusement :P

not sure about etching although if you have a friendly hackerspace with a laser it might be possible (i believe my nearest hackerspace charges non-members $75/hour to use theirs)

for stickers maybe cafepress (although i'm not endorsing them) might be the way to go

gingerbeardman

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:39 pm

I'll have a set of stickers with a selection of my logos available for launch. I use moo.com for stuff like this.

None feature the Raspberry Pi Foundation name, but all are instantly recognisable. I'll post a link on here shortly before launch.

abishur

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:51 pm

@ukscone - good point about the etching, I'll probably go the clear sticker route.

@gingerbreadman - though it was inevitably bound to happen I would discourage advertising the fact you're going to sell images which are *technically* not copyright infringements on the forum of the product whose image you aren't infringing upon ;) It's one thing for us to have fun with the images we created for our own personal use, it's another to sell them off to others (so let me encourage to please not post a link to your stickers unless you contact the r-pi team and they give you the go ahead... I'd probably wait a bit until any lingering peevishness on the response to the logo dies away :P )

gingerbeardman

Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:02 pm

I never used the word sell :)

abishur

Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:34 pm

Indeed I stand corrected, I thought it was a place like cafe press.

Just remember to be sensitive on things like this, right? The r-pi team had a real tough competition and made an excellent choice on the winner and we need to be nice about that even though we all not so secretly are sad we didn't win ;) We've all posted on this thread our various submissions and if someone just happens to want to use one of them discretely well that won't hurt anyone, but if we're really obvious about it with things like "here's some clearly superior logos if you don't want to use they one they chose"... well I think you're an intelligent guy and can work it out ;)

Speaking of which, while I'd really like to see which entries the r-pi team chose as the top contenders, I'd also really like to see anyone who hasn't posted here with their logo to let us take a peak at it :D I've REALLY enjoyed this thread ever since UKscone and I were submitting crude drawings scribbled on the back of a napkin just to kill some time before the *real* logo contest was announced. Even though most of us didn't win, it's been a blast to see each person's take on it.

Techpriest

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Quote from Lakes on October 14, 2011, 11:37
Quote from abishur on October 13, 2011, 13:29
ha ha I still don't really see a face in it! I knew that story my brothers kept telling me about being adopted from somewhere strange was true!

edit PS: any chance of us seeing those top finalist logos? :DThis help?

:)

I wouldn't mind seeing those finalist logos myself. Being a graphic designer myself I sifted through this thread looking at all the designs silently critiquing/admiring the logos.

abishur

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:23 pm

So I know Liz said she was out of town in CA last week and I realize there may be some lingering hot-under-the-collar feelings about the response to the logo and things are kinda busy and all that... but are the finalist logos still going to be posted? :D

sonicase

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:57 pm

my avatar was the logo i designed :)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Quote from abishur on October 21, 2011, 19:23
So I know Liz said she was out of town in CA last week and I realize there may be some lingering hot-under-the-collar feelings about the response to the logo and things are kinda busy and all that... but are the finalist logos still going to be posted? :D

Probably yes, but not any time soon; we felt that feelings were running pretty high in the community about the competition, so we've decided to let the winning logo bed down and let people calm down for a while before posting the runners up.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

tech guru

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:11 pm

images added just for fun in case members want them for screen savers and what not

tech guru

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:21 pm

this is a compilation of the reworked Gerber by one of the forum members , tux from wiki, the site logo and of course pi :)

tech guru

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:15 pm

enjoy :)

tech guru

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:30 am

:)

Return to “General discussion”