ElectroPulse

Re: SD Cards/Slots - Durability?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:27 am

Hello, all!

My dad has always said to leave our SD cards in their slots in cameras since he has had problems with the slots breaking after removing them several times (not sure how many).

So anyway, here is my question: How durable are SD cards and the SD card slot on the RPi? Will it stand up to a bunch of inserting and removing SD cards? I plan on running at least 3 different configurations at different times (normally internet/email always-on PC, occasionally XBMC, and another SD card for just messing around with and experimentation).

Thanks!

timgiles

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:31 am

Well, like everything in life, both can be broken. But I watched a movie the other day where an Abrahams M1 tank was blown up.... so what to do!

Seriously, an SD card is a hard piece of plastic. You can snap it, drop it in water (although versions exist that are waterproof). The card reader, yes, you can break that also. Excessive force, incorrectly pushing the card in the wrong way but deciding to take no notice of the 'stop' and carrying on....

These things are designed to be inserted and inserted in to thousands, tens of thousands of times. If your father has broken one or more, questions as the build quality of the stuff he bought should be considered.

I would be very suprised if you take care, that the RPi will not outlast all attempts to put cards in and out of it over 5, 10 or 20 years!

grumpyoldgit

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:40 am

You've tempted fate now!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 am

ElectroPulse said:

My dad has always said to leave our SD cards in their slots in cameras since he has had problems with the slots breaking after removing them several times (not sure how many).

Broken camera SD slots?

How is he inserting them?  With a hammer? Is he pulling the cards out with pliers?

I hardly ever use the USB connections to my cameras, its too much effort locating a cable when I want to transfer images.  I just pop the card out and insert it into the card reader.  No problems (touch wood) so far.  Thinking about it,  I would have thought that a USB socket is more fragile than an SD slot.

I would not think that the SD slot on the Pi is going to be a major failure mode, there are other ways to inconvenience the poor thing than inserting/extracting the SD card!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Tass

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:32 am

Jongoleur said:

How is he inserting them?  With a hammer? Is he pulling the cards out with pliers?

Agreed - over the past 10-15 years and 4 cameras & constant (daily/weekly) removal of the SD card to download photos I've yet to experience (or even hear of?) a broken SD card slot

ElectroPulse

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:48 am

Right, thanks for the replies!

That makes me feel a lot better about it... Based on the replies, my guess is that the SD card slot was of poor build quality... And no, he wasn"t putting the card in with a hammer He said the part that broke was the part that holds the card in... And I think that was probably on an early, and cheap, digital camera... So the conclusion I have come to is poor build quality. Henceforth I shall fearlessly remove my SD cards! Thanks

Jongoleur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Just be gentle with it! 

laszlo

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:25 am

What do you guys think about micro SD cards?  It seems like it's harder to find a regular SD card these days without being micro.. there are many that resemble a russian nesting doll.  I'm curious about any pros/cons to these as far as power usage, durability, latency, throughput etc.. if anyone has some insight.

oninoshiko

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:11 am

laszlo said:

What do you guys think about micro SD cards?  It seems like it's harder to find a regular SD card these days without being micro.. there are many that resemble a russian nesting doll.  I'm curious about any pros/cons to these as far as power usage, durability, latency, throughput etc.. if anyone has some insight.

There is no reason micro and mini SD SHOULDN'T work, with the adapter. Maybe it's regional, but I've had no issues finding full-size SD. If nothing else, they are easy to find on the 'net (although be careful, I hear there are lots of forgeries).

12+12 = 2*12

Jongoleur

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:39 am

I've never had any difficulty in finding SD cards as such, though it IS more difficult to find lower capacity plain SD cards for older devices that aren't compatible with HC.  The more problematic aspect of getting an SD card is the price differential.

For any given capacity:

Retail stores have retail packed cards at eyewatering prices.

"Catalogue" stores have retail packed cards at about two thirds the price of a retail store

On-line retailers have retail packaged cards at about half the price of a retail store

On-line retailers have "bulk" cards at about a third the price of a retail store

Generally speaking, you can rely on all these cards as being usable with the correct capacity.

On-line auction sites are definitely unreliable, especially when you're looking for the cheapest possible item. Its possible to buy genuine retail branded AND bulk cards at cut prices, but there can be problems (I regret to say) when the product is sourced directly from China.

What it boils down to is that provided you ignore the extremes and don't get fixated on buying as cheaply as possible, then you won't get bitten!

Bitterns, are a different kettle of fish entirely....

Boom Boom!!!!

RaTTuS

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:56 am

microSD + adapter should be fine,

however I've not had any problems in finding SD cards

11+12=100? new record
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ward560

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:17 pm

How durable are SD cards and the SD card slot on the RPi?... well My Pi has become faulty one of the gold pins in the SD slot have broken away. do i have a defective pi or is this something that is happening to other peoples pi? Have been waiting months for the arrival and in two days is broken :cry:
I would say The quality of the SD slot is not great?
J.ward

AndrewS

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Sounds like you ought to send it back under warranty.

Return to “General discussion”