liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: I think the market has been grossly underestimated....

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm

wright said:

what if the companys who sold the different parts so cheap to the foundation
says because of selling to companys who should pay full price for the parts is breach of contract .

There's absolutely no question of that happening. We negotiate our contracts very carefully. It's in our suppliers' interests not to limit sales of the Raspberry Pi – they make money out of each component we buy, so they want us to sell as many as possible.

ETA: I should add that our business model is rather different than that of a for-profit company. We *want* to see other companies not "starting a black market", but producing their own devices at a similar cost and with a similar form factor. We're trying to democratise computing here, and one thing that will help with that is this sort of device becoming widespread.

We do make a profit on each device, (as a not-for-profit we can't personally profit from this, so all profits go back into the charity). Other companies can do that too, without the charity model.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:18 pm

webmasterpdx said:

So, a standard board with a standard fast bus to interface to I/O. Maybe 2 bytes of GPIO pins, 8 ADC in pins and 2 DAC outputs and 2 PWM outputs,
How much of that cannot be handled by I2C or SPI? I suppose it depends on your sampling rate.

I think I would prefer to see most of this sort of stuff provided as an add-on board. You would need extensive additional hardware anyway to convert to plant-level and anti-alias.

It would be nice though to get a few more of the GPIO pins through, including the second serial port, the second PWM and I2S (whatever that is.)

ceteras

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:00 pm

It's obvious that the Pi will sell like hot cakes, I don't even dream about a Pi from the first batch. Considering this, I'm happy with the one piece/order policy, and I hope the second batch will be available soon.

@Liz, do you tink that other companies can get the same or similar conditions from Broadcom, for manufacturing of Pi clones?

I've searched the Internet for similar products, but none are as powerful and affordable as a Pi. It'd be great if other companies would make a similar boards, even if they were to be slightly more expensive (but no more than $50(: ).

Edit:

@rurwin: I2S is a standard serial interface used by DSP's for sound (usually stereo), you could connect a diy DAC to it, and get a high quality sound from the Pi (audiophille quality, depending on your DAC execution).

nullstring

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:10 pm

That's interesting Liz. So, really, if RPI Foundation does it's job right it's current business model may in fact, become obsolete.

It's goal isn't to make money, it's to solve a problem.

liz

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 pm

@nullstring Exactly.

@ceteras Right now, I don't know. It's something we're talking to them about at the moment.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Col

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:26 pm

pluggster said:

Month 1 – 10k

Month 2 – 20k

Month 3 – 40k

Month 4 – 80k

Month 5 – 160k

Month 6 – 320k

Month 7 – 640k

Month 8 – 1280k

Month 9 – 2560k

Month 10 – 5120k

Month 11 – 10240k

Month 12 – 20480k

20480k / 3.14159265 = 6518.9865K (my prediction)

edit: that ruddy delete button!

Are you going to call this the "More Pi Law" (ba boom tsh), I thank you

Return to “General discussion”