watchingyou

PI as dash cam

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:19 am

Just read about the upcoming release of the Pi camera 1080p 30fps I believe. I am wondering if this and the PI would be able to be make a working dash cam, would it be powerful enough to capture the footage to an SD card and then do the recycling recording and not have gaps between clips like some cheap dash cams have? Will the camera do the h.264 encoding?

Just curious if this will herald the beginning of low cost dash cams that actually work. Currently dash cams that have decent pictures and work well are around $150 to $300 USD.

tonyhughes

Re: PI as dash cam

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 am

I'm keen to build one.

I have already starting coding in my head for this lol.

A fully customisable dash cam - wow.

I currently use DailyRoads Voyager on my Android, but I'd rather leave one permanently mounted (probably with the Pi mounted under dash)

watchingyou

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:49 am

Go to http://dashcamtalk.com and see how far the newer ones have come. But if the PI is powerful enough I'll build one, make it really simple, perhaps without any buttons and sell it for $99 and become a millionaire ;) Why do you need to set the bloody frame rate and recycle clip time, BS! Just have one input from the ignition, simple! Starts automatically and has a status LED, jesus why do these companies have to make these things so complicated and we don't need GPS really either.

The Korean's are buying tons of these things, a million or so per year. I tried a dash cam on my iphone 4s, works ok but cellphones are not designed to run for an hour or more and shoot video.

cabe

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:44 pm

This is something I am desperately waiting for the CSI cam. In addition I intend to gps, accelerometer and gyro data for track racing.

Return to “General discussion”