Tide

Re: Physical design

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:52 pm

@Jamesh

Not knocking the Rasp and yes I understand why you went for that layout. I just wanted to point out it's easy enough to work around. Takes a bit of creativity, dremel tool and plenty of hot glue!
Can I live with that sort of compromise for 100 let alone 25 quid? You bet!
And besides: it's fun building your own case from scratch!

I decided not to go for the smallest possible footprint, you can buy the so called dog house enclosure. Instead I rather integrated everything: BB, powered USB hub, HDMIto DVI-D converter
and even the PSU to power it all. The above is sort of a Mk I version as I later replaced the USB stick with a 1.8" USB harddrive, again putting it inside.
I entertained the idea of having an Acorn printed on the cover lid but decided it wasn't worth it. Cupertino might sue me!

I have a rather large Colander if that helps?

Lob0426

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Quote from thesynapseuk on September 15, 2011, 14:46
I thought that the whole idea of this kind of thing was taking what you're given and then making your solution to a problem? It seems there's a lot of people moaning about the little thing they would prefer and isn't there. I'm just looking forward to learning hardcore comp-sci and seeing how far I can push this mutha.

Definitely the right mindset. Tide is there too. Take what you get and make it what you want!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

hajj_3

Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:55 pm

when will we see photos of the new smaller final pcb?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:01 pm

As soon as it comes back from the factory! At the moment, we're wrapping up the schematics - when that's done, there will be artwork to do, so you're looking at a couple of weeks at least before we have a final version. There will be a wait, of course, before those go out to retail because we'll need to test them very heavily and do some more development on them.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Quote from liz on September 21, 2011, 17:01
As soon as it comes back from the factory! There will be a wait, of course, before those go out to retail because we'll need to test them very heavily

I volunteer to be the idiot to proof against. I can break anything. just ask my wife why we can't have pyrex, corningware and a microwave and other nice things in the house.

MDC

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Quote from ukscone on September 21, 2011, 17:16
As soon as it comes back from the factory! There will be a wait, of course, before those go out to retail because we'll need to test them very heavily

I volunteer to be the idiot to proof against. I can break anything. just ask my wife why we can't have pyrex, corningware and a microwave and other nice things in the house.

What about iron balls, do you have any of those lying around the house?

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Quote from MDC on September 21, 2011, 17:23
Quote from ukscone on September 21, 2011, 17:16

What about iron balls, do you have any of those lying around the house?

welllllllllllllllllllll! i don't want to brag but i have shattered a cast iron skillet (frying pan) and a cast iron dutch oven and i have broken a 400 year old cannon ball.

and as i said we are not allowed to have nice things in the house as i have the knack of breaking them so we leave all iron balls outside

Lob0426

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Oh come on now Pyrex is easy. I have done in more than one myself.

Pour in rice-a- roni, put in 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Nuke in microwave for two minutes, stir, forget to wait 1 minute before adding cold water. BLAM! Rice and water all over kitchen. Works nearly every time too!

Took out a oil lamp once practicing, in the house, with a side handle baton. That was a mess!
Then there was the........ Oh no your not getting that one out of me!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

liz

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 pm

I nearly killed myself with a pyrex dish that shattered into a thousand tiny shards when I took it out of the oven once. Still have the scars to prove it. I was saved only by the viscous properties of cauliflower cheese. Still; nothing beats the cannon ball story.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:58 pm

they still won't let me in belvior castle (how on earth is belvoir pronounced beaver???????) or at sealed knot reenactments

MDC

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:03 pm

Quote from ukscone on September 21, 2011, 17:58
they still won't let me in belvior castle (how on earth is belvoir pronounced beaver???????) or at sealed knot reenactments

So it's happened to you, you have been living in America so long you don't know how to pronounce British place names

Question ukscone, do you say lift or elevator? ;) :P

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Quote from MDC on September 21, 2011, 18:03
Quote from ukscone on September 21, 2011, 17:58

So it's happened to you, you have been living in America so long you don't know how to pronounce British place names

point of order. belvoir is of french origin :) i did actually know that :)

but i agree i have been in the united states too long. i sometimes forget to put a U in words and a mix of a southend, leicester and brooklyn accents confuses everyone. i go into dunkin' donuts and ask for an extra large coffee, half and half and four sugars and they still give me an iced coffee with no sugar and i can't even talk about what happens in starbucks, i have had to bury it in my subconcious as it is too horrible to contemplate.

oh and i say the "uppy downy thing" (lift)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Hey ukscone - how would you pronounce "Cholmondeley"? ( http://www.cpop.co.uk/ )

Hehehehehehehehe...... :-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

TonyD

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:22 am

Quote from Jongoleur on September 22, 2011, 18:42
Hey ukscone - how would you pronounce "Cholmondeley"? ( http://www.cpop.co.uk/ )

Hehehehehehehehe...... :-)
Very slowly and carefully :)
Tony

Dave Duchesneau

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:58 am

Quote from Gert van Loo on August 13, 2011, 09:15
...we can go micro USB, micro SD and micro HDMI. But equipment to connect to that is not as widely available as the full size ones...

What is the maximum SD card capacity that the R-Pi (BCM2835) will support? I assume that it does not have high-capacity "SDHC" support, so no 16 GB cards.

roytanck

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:50 pm

I realize this is an older thread, but I was wondering whether more detailed specs were available about the board's dimensions and connector placement. I'm considering building a custom case, and it would be ideal to have detailed drawings available as soon as the design is finalized, so I can start cutting things up :).

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Quote from roytanck on October 12, 2011, 14:50
I realize this is an older thread, but I was wondering whether more detailed specs were available about the board's dimensions and connector placement. I'm considering building a custom case, and it would be ideal to have detailed drawings available as soon as the design is finalized, so I can start cutting things up :).

As soon as the Raspberry Pi team have finalised the dimensions, connectors, etc they'll be posted here.

WestfW

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm curious as to why the team is so set on a very small PCB. It seems like it would relax the design a great deal to aim at "2.5inch disk drive sized" rather than "1.8inch disk drive sized", and I'm not sure that the target market would lose anything... Even if the outer edge of the board has nothing but mounting holes and cable tiedown points, it might gain some useful physical robustness. Sure, it might not be so "cute", but I didn't think that was really part of the goal.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Having a small board is motivated by cost (of manufacture, of shipping) rather than cuteness.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:28 pm

As asb said, its down to cost. But if you go too small the cost goes back up again as you need smaller more expensive components. So the board is as small as possible using the cheapest sized components.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Burngate

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:35 pm

I think the word you're looking for is optimum.

Return to “General discussion”