Siguy

Re: Physical design

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Is the final product going to look like the prototype shown in photos? It seems like kind of an awkward shape. Yes, this is really quite minor, but I, personally, would prefer a rectangular circuit board.

abishur

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:24 am

When you say the prototype do you mean the small usb sized picture or the pcb board image? Either way, we're told that the final design size for this first run through is around the size of a credit card (according to the home page)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Gert van Loo

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:41 pm

I big board is more stable and allows easier access for expansion and makes the connector not so close together and is easier to route and removes heat better and .... costs more.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:36 pm

The final version will (hallelujah!) be rectangular. The pics you're looking at are just prototype versions, and we weren't too concerned with form factor when we knocked those together.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Raikomaru

Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Have you finalized the dimensions yet? Or at least come up with an estimate?

liz

Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:26 pm

We're looking at a credit-card sized board.

Raikomaru

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:10 pm

What about the height? Will it be just big enough to accommodate the ports?

liz

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Exactly. It's the height of an RJ45 socket, or two stacked USB sockets.

Raikomaru

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:44 am

Cool, thank you.

awatts

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:00 am

Wondering if the USB, power, and HDMI connectors will be inline, i.e. at each each of the board, or stuck at odd angles.

The original prototype with connector at each end appealed to me for development of a piece of automotive test gear because I could design a small battery power case and simply plug it into the rear of the monitor at the shop and the USB to the test device...now with the new board the connectors look like they stick out at wonky angles, but can't tell for sure since the picture has too much other stuff. Can you clarify the connector orientations?

emercer

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Guys, you don't have a finalized board, right? That means still no case design. Let me know when you get to that point, I'm supposedly an industrial designer (unemployed, but no less graduated).

liz

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:54 pm

The first lot of boards will ship without a case. We're investigating casing options at the moment, but the price quoted at the minute is for uncased units (as with the Beagleboard etc.). I really like the idea of community-designed cases. The hope at the moment is that boards for schools will all be cased, simply for reasons of robustness.

AmyS3

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:13 pm

but hopefully they will be transparent for school´s so the kids can still look inside the case ^^

Raikomaru

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Quote from AmyS3 on August 7, 2011, 20:13
but hopefully they will be transparent for school´s so the kids can still look inside the case ^^
I know plastic is a bit too flimsy, but something along the lines of a clear plastic card case would be cool.

gerits

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Rasberry Pi casemodding.. I'm going for a wall-e case

Lob0426

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:15 pm

OMG here we go with the aluma-wallet cases lol. "Carry your credit cards and your computer". Keep them safe from being read at a distance, the new identity theft! Lol. Don't forget to throw in a few matchstick boxes as well. Just remember that thieves very rarely steal plain Jane keyboards, that's where I am going to hide mine! "Super Mouse, the mouse with it's own built-in computer". There we go you got me started now!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

abishur

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Quote from awatts on August 7, 2011, 07:00
Wondering if the USB, power, and HDMI connectors will be inline, i.e. at each each of the board, or stuck at odd angles.

Here's a b/w of the pcb layout with only the connectors showing

I'm guessing on the ethernet and HDMI locations, but the rest of it should be good. I'm not overly familiar with PCBs, so let someone (Michael?) double check my work. Still, overall that is roughly where components are.

Edit: Now that I look at it again, I think what I labeled as HDMI is actually the USB ports. Oops :P If someone wants to correct my mistakes I'll upload a version 2 that actually correct :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Lob0426

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:54 am

If that drawing is even half correct I am going to have to build a lot of flex connectors to put it into a keyboard. ;<)

liz

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Quote from Lob0426 on August 8, 2011, 00:15
OMG here we go with the aluma-wallet cases lol. "Carry your credit cards and your computer". Keep them safe from being read at a distance, the new identity theft! Lol. Don't forget to throw in a few matchstick boxes as well. Just remember that thieves very rarely steal plain Jane keyboards, that's where I am going to hide mine! "Super Mouse, the mouse with it's own built-in computer". There we go you got me started now!

This is a lovely idea (although Eben is suggesting that we can bundle a tinfoil hat with it - *I* like the idea).

No finalised ideas about cases yet, but we are looking at rounded corners so you can comfortably keep it in a pocket. I'm not convinced by transparent plastic, but the case will be removable (although this may require a screwdriver) so you can poke at the hardware.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Quote from liz on August 8, 2011, 21:09
Quote from Lob0426 on August 8, 2011, 00:15

This is a lovely idea (although Eben is suggesting that we can bundle a tinfoil hat with it - *I* like the idea).

along those lines i was thinking this would make a pretty good system for people who normally carry around a bunch of bootable usb flash drives because they need to have their desktop with them but are really paranoid about using other peoples (or library) computers.

Lob0426

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Liz: the tin hat is to stop the aliens from taking over your brain waves. Is he telling you the WHOLE story. lol that will also interfere with the wireless!

Ukscone: wrap a 1.8" HDD or SSD with a USB interface into the package and you can use it as a smart flash drive. Just need to set it up right to either be a flash drive or a computer! Switch the USB drive to direct or to internal mode? I will investigate how to wire this up.

I am thinking of placing model B where the keypad is on a keyboard with a clear cover. Might use a wireless keyboard and mouse combo, mouse will definitely be wireless or might use a touchpad. All I will have to do is plug it into the wall and a tv and will be ready to rock and roll. There will be an USB HDD in there somewhere, also some speakers in case there is no HDMI available.

I hope as we get closer to production version we will get to see a layout drawing of connector and mounting hole locations.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Quote from Lob0426 on August 8, 2011, 21:44

Ukscone: wrap a 1.8" HDD or SSD with a USB into the package and you can use it as a smart flash drive. Just need to set it up right to either be a flash drive a computer! Switch the USB to direct or to internal mode?

I am thinking of placing it where the keypad is on a keyboard with a clear cover. Might use a wireless keyboard and mouse combo, mouse will definitely be wireless or might use a touchpad. All I will have to do is plug it into the wall and a tv and will be ready to rock and roll.

I have a very nice currently empty tandy model 100 case, keyboard and lcd that i'm very tempted to shove a R-Pi in especially if i can get the R-Pi to drive the lcd (or find a new one that fits) and can use the tandy's matrix keyboard. i've found http://www.vesalia.de/e_keyrah.htm and think the basic premise should work with other "vintage" keyboards. i've also got a nice camputers lynx case and keyboard too that is just begging to have an R-Pi shoved into it

Lob0426

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 pm

You could probably throw a couple of dozen with HDD's in there and still have room to rattle.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Is that 135TB Raid6 storage pod in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

AmyS3

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Quote from ukscone on August 8, 2011, 22:05
Is that 135TB Raid6 storage pod in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

from where do you get all those crazy punch lines?? plain brilliant *rofl*

Return to “General discussion”