Goggles2114

Re: Gaming

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:00 am

Pity. Resources to one side. It's a very well made engine that could be coaxed into doing all sorts of things. Granted it's best at Zelda-Likes, and that's perfictly fine.

It also comes with a nifty editor/level maker.

5+12=17

JoeDaStudd

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:45 am

JJD said:

Anyone remember Introversion's Linux versions of Defcon, Uplink, and Darwinia from a few years back? Although not 'the feel good game of the year', Defcon was a fun one for me. I kept flashbacking to when I saw Wargames in a theater so long ago...

Yea Humble bundle had them a few months back. Come to think about it most of the indie bundle  programs have linux versions of the games.

A lot of them offer(ed) the source code as well.

bitplane

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 pm

fireraisr said:

Also, we should perchance keep the number of tm "emulator" topics low on the official site. I'd hate for the foundation to get flak for "supporting" emulation.

They could always just support legal emulation and shun the rest. Look at World of Spectrum for example, they only host games that they have permission to host, they have legal firmwares and are endorsed by Amstrad.

C64 and Amiga emulation is legally possible by licensing the system ROMs, Aminet is the definitive Amiga PD collection, I'm not sure about the C64.

Prometheus

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:23 pm

rurwin said:

Goggles2114 said:

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/

Any chance of the linux port working on arm?

Unlikely. The Linux version will be for x86.

There's a DOS version there, so it should work under DOSBOX.  No guarantee on speed though; if they are expecting 2005 hardware, it's likely to be snail-like.

There's a Pandora port (so, ARM/Linux), which seems to be based on this GP2X version (again, ARM/Linux), so it would seem that permission has been granted somewhere along the line. I don't know if that's useful information or not, but hopefully it is.

bitplane said:

fireraisr said:

Also, we should perchance keep the number of tm "emulator" topics low on the official site. I'd hate for the foundation to get flak for "supporting" emulation.

They could always just support legal emulation and shun the rest. Look at World of Spectrum for example, they only host games that they have permission to host, they have legal firmwares and are endorsed by Amstrad.

C64 and Amiga emulation is legally possible by licensing the system ROMs, Aminet is the definitive Amiga PD collection, I'm not sure about the C64.

I have an absolutely enormous list of legal emulation resources, on another forum. If there is an interest, I could re-post the entire list here, once emulators and the like start popping up for the Raspberry Pi.

fireraisr

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:31 pm

@Prometheus

I realize there are a ton of legal pieces of emulation software. But when I talk to people about emulation the first thing that they talk about are ROM's and console emulation.

The last thing I want to see is a bunch of posts on the forums like "I want teh Zelda, how does I do dat?"

The legalities of console emulation are a pain and the foundation shouldn't have to deal with that. They have better things to do with their time.

All I'm saying is we should do our best to keep the forums free of legal grey areas. There are other websites already dedicated to that.

S0litaire

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:56 pm

I've said it once,

and I'll say it again...

Classic Elite for ARM ^_^

I'd even settle for a basic version of Oolite ^_~ lol
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

bitplane

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Prometheus said:

I have an absolutely enormous list of legal emulation resources, on another forum. If there is an interest, I could re-post the entire list here, once emulators and the like start popping up for the Raspberry Pi.

Cool stuff, I may well be interested in creating some sort of legal ROM SD card, specially for ZX Spectrum tapes. Amstrad's stance on the whole emulation is pretty good, CPC 464 / 6128 devices should be fair game if we can find the legal disk / tape images:

Cliff Lawson said:

If you are the authour of such an emulator then you don't need to write and ask me for Amstrad's permission to distribute copies of the CPC ROMs. Amstrad's stance on this is that we are happy for you to redistribute copies of our copyrighted code as long as a) copyright messages are not changed and b) either in the program or the documentation you acknowledge that "Amstrad has kindly given it's permission for it's copyrighted material to be redistributed but Amstrad retains it's copyright."

It would be really nice if we could get an Amiga Forever distribution on SD too...

fireraisr said:

All I'm saying is we should do our best to keep the forums free of legal grey areas. There are other websites already dedicated to that.

I agree. Unauthorized ROMs are warez, there are legal solutions for some platforms but Sony, Sega, Nintendo and Microsoft explicitly deny users from distributing their software. That doesn't mean that is bad or should be avoided though, the answer is education rather than censorship.

ElectroPulse

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:21 pm

How difficult is it to port old DOS games? I'd assume it's a bit more difficult than just downloading a program, executing it, pointing it to an old DOS program's install location, and telling it "port it!" I've read that you need to decompile and recompile them, but am not sure how...

I have fond memories of growing up playing things like Wacky Wheels and Commander Keen, and think it would be pretty cool to port them over to the RPi to play on our TV...

(NOTE: I don't really have an programming experience, other than scripting)

Is there a step-by-step guide that can give me a general idea of what it's like?

Thanks!

bitplane

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:35 pm

ElectroPulse said:

How difficult is it to port old DOS games? I'd assume it's a bit more difficult than just downloading a program, executing it, pointing it to an old DOS program's install location, and telling it "port it!" I've read that you need to decompile and recompile them, but am not sure how...

You have two options. If the game is written in a language like C and you have free access to the source code, you could port it over to Linux and build new ARM executables for it there. If not, you can emulate the entire platform using QEMU or DOSBox and run the executables rather slowly on Linux.

Disassembling a game would result in a load of x86 instructions which aren't compatible with the ARM CPU and would take a million years to convert by hand, or maybe a slow, unreadable program written in C that would require a lot of tweaking. Even then you most likely wouldn't have rights to distribute it anyway, so all your hard work would be dirty, thankless piracy.

If it's closed source then your best option is to use DosBox and the files from the original media that you bought and paid for.

Prometheus

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:55 pm

fireraisr said:

@Prometheus

I realize there are a ton of legal pieces of emulation software. But when I talk to people about emulation the first thing that they talk about are ROM"s and console emulation.

The last thing I want to see is a bunch of posts on the forums like "I want teh Zelda, how does I do dat?"

The legalities of console emulation are a pain and the foundation shouldn"t have to deal with that. They have better things to do with their time.

All I"m saying is we should do our best to keep the forums free of legal grey areas. There are other websites already dedicated to that.

Oh, absolutely! I completely agree – what you mention above is why I started that list (which is not one of emulation software, but of ROMs and disk images made legally available by their rights-holders, quite a number of which were commercial releases decades ago, but which they determined to no longer be profitable), in fact*, as something was required about which there were no grey areas. But yes, agreed.

*(It was inspired by the fact that a lot of authors/publishers of formerly-commercial software for the Amiga have legally allowed for them to be downloadable from certain preservation sites now, and I wanted to see for myself how much else there was.)

fireraisr

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:46 pm

@Prometheus

Awesome list btw, just had a chance to look at it.

Prometheus

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 pm

Thanks very much. Much appreciated.

Return to “General discussion”