liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Early Adopters?

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Well, as it happens, I'm on the West Coast for a few weeks starting at the end of the month - I have absolutely no plans for leaving anything in any bars besides my dignity, though, so don't get your hopes up.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

DanielSilva

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Quote from iAreNewb on September 5, 2011, 23:39
... makes escaping the law much easier ;) ) I don't think the R-Pi team would take a plane to the west coast of the US just to lose one of their R-Pi prototypes in a bar.

Unless of course an European wide warrant is issued , unless you run to a different continent, crossing the border to a different european country isn't much of an escape plan :D

crundy

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:48 pm

Damnit, I wanted 1337! How long before you manufacture 31,337 units?

A small sticker would be pretty cool to bung onto our custom cases. I'd chip in to get a load printed if anyone else thinks it would be a good idea?

obarthelemy

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:14 pm

If you're doing goodies for forumers, I'd like a (red !) case, autographed by the team, including the cat !

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Sorry to say, the number scheme may be a downer - the two proto's I have here are 1483675 amd 1483669. Not very interesting at all!

Certainly not as interesting as my BBC Model A (now B) with serial #3336. Anyone out there got an older one?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Gert van Loo

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:32 pm

To preempt questions about those numbers: The company that made the boards puts a number on any board they produce. I have a list of the numbers of all 50 boards and those are not even contiguous.

emercer

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 am

Are they TOO random or just some numbers missing here and there? It might be they lost some during manufacturing, otherwise they're just going wild with random number generation :P

Andre_P

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:46 pm

If I could have a number and seeing that 42 has already been requested, I would like either
or

I think a suitable amount of Googling will provide the reason why :)

Sam-Q

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:51 pm

on a bit of a different note why not make a pre-release for some boards at a price premium. Now I understand it costs lots of money and time for this project so it could be a way to offset it a little. If people are so keen then I am sure they would be prepared to pay.

Me being the buisnessman I am would in the same position sell them intially for a higher price or keep them higher and have a different price for the educational areas. This way the goal of the rasberry is still achieved but possibly easier and quicker. Otherwise as the FAQ says a bulk volume is needed to even break even.

liz

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:55 pm

We're discussing how to manage demand at the beginning at the moment. This has yet to be confirmed, but the idea that's winning right now is limiting sales in the first two weeks to those who are prepared to buy-one-give-one. After that, we'll sell to people who only want one for themselves too.

Just to emphasise, this is just an idea we're throwing out there at the moment; it isn't definitely what we'll be doing.

We also want to avoid the issue of eBay scalpers buying them when there aren't many around and selling them at an inflated price, so we'll probably be producing some limited edition boards (I hope in a raspberry colour - this is actually a standard PCB colour so shouldn't present a problem), getting the trustees to sign them, and then auctioning them on eBay ourselves.

Sam-Q

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:06 pm

sorry I am unsure what you mean by "buy-one-give-one".

I didn't think of the scalpers thing, but a valid point. Putting them on ebay yourself to me sounds like a brilliant idea, the people who really want them can pay the extra and give the company a good boost.

I really like the idea of a different circuit board colour.

Lakes

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:06 pm

I brought this up in another thread, but it got locked.
Sam has said it a lot better, but I was trying to ask the same thing in my clumsy way.
I guess I should have left out the word "Alpha" in that post! lol

Great idea for putting a Limited Edition on Ebay Liz!

Michael

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:09 pm

I like the idea of eBay auctioning board #1 - with or without signatures. I also like the idea of using raspberry red as the standard solder mask colour - do you get it for the same price as green or does your factory charge more for red?

liz

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Buy one give one means that you'll pay double the retail price, and the extra you pay will go to buy a Raspberry Pi which will be donated by the Foundation to a school or charity.

Sam-Q

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:18 pm

ah I see, interesting concept. The businessman speaking in me again I personally would keep putting them on ebay till the price drops down to a point where on average they are going for double the normal price and then maybe introduce the buy one give one idea after that for another batch. Depends on total demand I guess.

Well regardless Liz it sounds like you and the team have some clever ideas and what it takes to really make this work.

liz

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Quote from Michael on September 15, 2011, 15:09
I like the idea of eBay auctioning board #1 - with or without signatures. I also like the idea of using raspberry red as the standard solder mask colour - do you get it for the same price as green or does your factory charge more for red?

The particular shade we're looking at is more expensive.

Lakes

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Do Ebay still take their Sellers Fee if you are a Charity?

abishur

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:06 pm

I know paypal does... a quick google search returned this webpage

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sel.....rofit.html

It's rather complicated, but the answer seems to be they give you a prorated rate based on how much is going to charity. It seems like it might be easier just to list it normally and let them take the 5 bucks (or however much it is)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

srarthur

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm all in favour of those who have contributed significantly to these boards and the development / ideas that are bouncing around getting something extra / early.

[I'm not including myself in that list as I've only just registered for the forum, although been visiting almost daily for the last 6 weeks - just had nothing to contribute as I'm mainly a Windows SW developer and know little of hardware and less of Linux]

However, would such a scheme jepardise the potential fund raising opportunities due in the December period? Release date has gone from November -> Late November -> Late November/Early December (perfectly understandable really), so would there be time to run such a scheme and still be able to fulfill other requests in time?

I'm looking forward not just to buying some for myself but also a bundle or two (R-Pi+Keyboard/Mouse+Power+SDCard) for members of my family as presents...

Return to “General discussion”