Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 35
dextrus

Is your Pi connected to the internet?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm trying to write guides and help but I do find almost everything, including in these forums, is based on on a Pi having an internet connection. In education, an internet connection is unlikely and increasingly I am receiving emails from people who would like to play games or watch videos but cannot do so purely because the instructions given rely on an internet connection. So if I am allowed, I would like to take a sounding.
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

bjdraw

Re: Is your Pi connected to the internet?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 am

Yes. What computer is much fun without being connected to the rest of the world?

dextrus

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 am

I suspect for a lot of people it might not be achievable.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 am

2 are, 2 aren't. I answered yes though.

If people don't have a connection, I suggest they get really good with memory sticks and the file system - that will help a lot. :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 am

It depends on what you want to use your Pi for. Generally you will have to connect it to the Internet to start with to download apps and libraries that you want to work with. After that, and certainly in a school setting, it isn't necessary. Certainly the experience would be significantly degraded if the Internet was not available, at least on occasions.

But a 10m Ethernet cable can solve a lot of problems.

mhmediaonline

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 am

yes, but it's living safely behind a firewall. It's happily uploading files to a couple of FTP servers though, with a very impressive turn of speed..
---
Raspberry Pi - One of my Five-a-Day

tonyhughes

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:29 am

I have the internet on a DVD, so I don't really need a direct connection to an ISP.

PM me if anyone wants a copy of it. The entire internet is only about 1.4GB, and it is in a Microsoft Access database. Flash doesn't seem to be working.

(My Pi's are connected behind my firewall along with the rest of my LAN).

dextrus

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Wow, 100% connected. That's a really surprising result! Obviously I wouldn't be submitting these stats in an academic paper (lots of flaws), but I did expect some non-internet.

Thanks!

/Dextrus

pygmy_giant

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:24 pm

No. I live in a block of flats and am too stingy to pay for conection to a landline - I use mobile broadband for my windows lap top. I used to have my Pi set up to use the same 3G dongle but one day it stopped working on the Pi and I could not work out why. I also found that although the internet was useful for updating Raspian, the browser expereince on the Pi was a bit slow and that the rendering was not precise. I then switched to RISC OS and have not been able to work out if/how !CommCentre works on the Pi. I then got an ethernet cable and thought that it might be possible to have the Pi sharing my Lap top's 3G connection, but gave up in frustration after following tutorials that did not seem to work. I don't really feel the need to connect my Pi as I prefer to use my Windows machine on the web and can also use it to download files for my Pi which I can transfer via memory stick.

Return to “General discussion”