Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: News articles and blog posts about Raspberry Pi

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Bacan

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:13 pm

You can now add a LinkedIn group.

Found it yesterday, when in a fit of insanity started exposing my hidden Social Networking account profiles to the world. Just two of us for the moment are in LinkedIn.

johnbeetem

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:25 pm

From Linux Devices:
http://www.linuxfordevices.com.....hCon-2011/

ARM will detail Cortex-A7 at this week's TechCon
ARM is set to provide an in-depth look at its recently announced Cortex-A7 processor this week at a Santa Clara, California-based event. Other highlights of ARM TechCon 2011, scheduled for Oct. 25 to 27, will include a keynote by ARM CTO Mike Muller, and a demonstration of a $25 ARM11-based Ubuntu Linux computer from Raspberry Pi.
Raspberry Pi did not disclose the processor of its eponymous computer, but the device uses a Broadcom SoC, according to an Oct. 25 EETimes article. The device will be demonstrated by Eben Upton, an SoC architect at Broadcom who is one of Raspberry Pi's founders.

The author of the Linux Devices article obviously didn't bother to follow the Raspberry Pi link from the Geek Times article he quotes. Another great moment in 21st Century journalism :-)

Bacan

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:49 pm

I was just checking to see when Eben was talking at the ARM 2011 TechCon. I'm finding a fair number of hits on Linux $25 computer.

Liz & Eben: Right now you have a sleeping Tiger by the tail. I think the Press is starting to make a lot of noise and will wake up the beast. Hang on tight! The media PR ride is about to start, in a BIG way. I guess the forum can expect the Trolls really soon. Then angry crowds demanding R-Pi cards at Walmart. All so the crowds can have Raspberry Pi for the coming Holidays.

Bacan

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm

LinkedIn now at 11 members.

liz

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:39 pm

http://www.ics.com/learning/po.....ts/twiq23/

Podcast, part of which is devoted to Qt5 on Raspi. Have to admit: I've not had enough time to listen to it, so if any of you has time to précis it quickly, I'd be really grateful!

Bacan

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Main Stream Engineering & Computer Tech now writing about R-Pi

http://www.edn.com/article/519.....n_show.php

Bacan

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:01 pm

The Trolls are alive and spewing on the EDN mag site about the R-Pi. Taking pot shots saying Broadcom is dumping parts to hurt other ARM venders, and how the US Congress needs to look into the Foundations actions. Also, talking about how RPF is giving Terrorists a means to create Smart Bombs.

I forgot how bigoted and stupid some people can act. They must be in a great deal of pain, maybe from a layoff and the lack of employment?

God I hope Eben packed his Flame Proof Suit and extra thick skin for use at the Tech Con.

liz

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Those terrorist-supporting sugar refineries, fertiliser manufacturers, nail factories, plumbing suppliers and alarm-clock makers had better look out. The EDN commentors would have a field day with them.

(For the good of my continued equilibrium, I'm not going to look at the page - but if any of you lot want to go and fight our corner, I'd be sincerely grateful.)

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Quote from liz on October 26, 2011, 21:10
(For the good of my continued equilibrium, I'm not going to look at the page - but if any of you lot want to go and fight our corner, I'd be sincerely grateful.)

It's not worth feeding the troll. Also note the negative comments are both from one person. Finally, the second comment he made is so hilarious I'm actually grateful to him for posting it:

I can't believe there yet another bunch of these ninnies who have come out of their mother's basements to give away great masses of ready make smart bomb systems to every two bit warlord out there. Add a $25 GPS or just listen for the right wifi and for the cost of one FN-FAL you can have 100 smart bombs. Why not start an open source smart-bomb repository? And do the development work for free.

liz

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:19 pm

Oh - just one troll? I was imagining a whole railway arch full of them. And yes, I should drink my own kool-aid. Don't feed the troll, folks.

Bacan

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Off-Topic (I have mental trouble with using OT) How does this sound for a posting to EDN? Comments please.

The EDN website poster is missing the economic opportunity that will be the result of creating and aiding all the users of R-Pi units to students and their families. I'm thinking 100,000 cards over the next two years, maybe 500,000 by end of year three would not surprise me. My thoughts are now about how to fulfill the resulting demand from the intended use of R-Pi cards. I understand that there could be a the loss of custom & specialized designs and products for some consultants. With all that is going on in our world, flexibility and awareness of opportunities are key for one's survival, not bad mouthing what other people are doing to help others.

liz

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Lovely, and it's a great post, but it's just giving the guy oxygen, so it's probably best not to post it. There's all-round amazement on Twitter at the moment about it, though, if you need a place to vent!

Bacan

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Above entered while you created yours Liz.

I'll respect your wishes and Not Feed the Troll.

Added: FYI - I need a Tweeter account.
Yes - I've been on top of a mountain, by a very big lake, in a man cave, for the last 10 years. Thank you for giving me/us something to get excited about again in the tech world.

Bacan

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:35 pm

What worries me, I may know the poster from another Forum.

He may have tried to sell me his ARM development boards as a early R-Pi software platform.
I did not feed him there either.

abishur

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:18 am

Eh don't let him bother you, if you look at the contents of his post it's kinda plain that his base issue with the r-pi is the fact that the r-pi foundation is selling an at cost system. Everything else from there is just a misguided attempt to undermine the r-pi and stir up trouble. He's just worried about how this will affect his livelihood. Let him blow off his steam and he'll see he has nothing to worry about once the r-pi is released.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:31 pm

http://www.develop-online.net/.....-computing

David interviewed by Develop.

liz

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Burngate

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:17 pm

Re the develop-online article: it's a pity they're still using pictures of the mark-1 midget instead of at least the alpha board
Liked Eben's interview

liz

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Oosp. Looks like we got Slashdotted again a few days ago - and I didn't spot it. (Which is probably indicative of…something or other.)

http://tech.slashdot.org/story.....type-25-pc

johnbeetem

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:40 pm

http://www.eetimes.com/electro.....ith-awards
ARM TechCon celebrates excellence with awards
ARM TechCon is all about education and the The ARM TechCon Best in Show Award Winner for Hardware epitomizes this as it is from a new Charitable Foundation aiming to sell computers into education at $25. A prototype board [from] the winner Raspberry Pi was demonstrated on the ARM stand and was discussed in a presentation in the Expo Floor Theatre.

Nice picture of Eben accepting the award. Congratulations again!

liz

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:43 pm

They didn't spell his name right - mind you, they also say "foam" rather than "from" in that article, so I guess we probably got off lightly!

(ETA - I'd add a profile so I could gently point out that they got it wrong - but they want so much personal info when you make an account that I can imagine them rootling happily through my credit card receipts within minutes of my filling in the signup form. Grr.)

liz

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:58 pm

http://it.paperblog.com/rasper.....tu-657327/

Thank God for Google Translate. We're not funded by Cambridge University (although they are very kindly allowing us to use office space in their Computer Lab) - but that aside, this is a great little piece.

Bacan

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:13 pm

At the ARM TechCon yesterday, after Eben's talk, he had a good 15 minute raw interview in front of the kiosk. I expect the "edited" version to be about 5-7 minutes. I did not catch who was the interviewer, from ARM or the show event themselves. Would be a good digital piece for the history of the company, or your own PR section.

[ Booth Boy did miss catching a few VIP moments. ]

Return to “General discussion”