secretreeve

Re: step by step guide?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:17 pm

is anyone able to throw up a step by step guide on preping an SD card and getting the root files onto said SD card? (simple terms for the new people to linux and assuming the'yre on windows)

if someone can take the time to do that then it would definatly be worth pinning and save alot of repeat questions.

piglet

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 pm

I did this:

Downloaded & unzipped the image
Googled: win32diskimager-binary.zip & downloaded & unzipped I used ( https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download )
Shoved my SD card+reader into the machine
Looked at the drive letter it allocated in windows
Ran win32diskimager, pointed it at the image, and the drive letter with the card in it.

Pressed the "write" button!

Simple as that. It wouldn't let me use any drive other than the memory card.

I booted to Ubuntu 11 and gparted showed it all looking perfect - with a nice large area left on my card to allocate for data.

secretreeve

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:38 pm

kool,

but when you say downloaded and unzipped the image, what image do you mean? the ubuntu 11 iso?

piglet

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:41 pm

No, the Debian image from the http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads section.

secretreeve

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:42 pm

ah excellent, so what does that image actually do? and waht do we do with it once we have a Pi unit?

grumpyoldgit

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:43 pm

secretreeve said:

ah excellent, so what does that image actually do? and waht do we do with it once we have a Pi unit?

You have a Debian Squeeze operating system on the Pi.

Vindicator

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Looks good piglet the same way I did mine after fighting with windd, win32imager made it easy and concise without further research and reading of manuals.

I used disk utility in 11.10 but got same picture.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

secretreeve

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 pm

seems to make sence then, im kinda a beginner with most linux distro's i used ubuntu for about a year on and off. so if i can understand this then i think most people can.

i was actually looking to get ubuntu 11.10 onto the Pi but for my usage for the unit any os will do really. i'll have to follow these instructions and try out this debian squeeze as i have NO idea what the os contains or anything

RaTTuS

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:56 am

Ubuntu will not work from the off the the RPi but may later on,

debian is very close to what Ubuntu does

[in fact most linux variants are really similar - depending on what you do ]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

stevescat

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:04 am

Could someone do a step by step guide, in the same simple terms as Piglet did for Windows, for MacOS please?

nick.mccloud

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:46 am

stevescat said:

Could someone do a step by step guide, in the same simple terms as Piglet did for Windows, for MacOS please?

See http://www.thelinuxdaily.com/2.....x-with-dd/

Cylon

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 am

stevescat said:

You could try the following i will be trying this method as soon as i download.

Using Diskutil (Mac OS X only)

Download the desired .img file
Open a Terminal (under Utilities)

Run diskutil list to get the current list of devices

Insert your flash media

Run diskutil list again and determine the device node assigned to your flash media (e.g. /dev/disk2)

Run diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN

Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/diskN bs=1m

Run diskutil eject /dev/diskN and remove your flash media when the command completes

Try it and let me/us know

stevescat

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Brilliant! Thanks guys for your help. Will try this method this evening. Am I correct in assuming after the OS in written to the SD card and used to boot the RasPi, any free space left can be used as and when, no need to partition further?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Liam's also planning on putting a video guide up sometime this week, I think, so you might want to wait for that.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

piglet

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:04 pm

stevescat said:

Brilliant! Thanks guys for your help. Will try this method this evening. Am I correct in assuming after the OS in written to the SD card and used to boot the RasPi, any free space left can be used as and when, no need to partition further?

You'll need to use a partition tool to define the unused space.

stevescat

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks again Piglet. Not sure whether to wait for Liam's videos or have a crack at it myself.

secretreeve

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:38 pm

okay so i gave this all a try and for what ever reason my 8gb sd card is showing as being 74.4MB (of which 46.9mb is free space)

so my question is, wheres the other 7.9gb gone?

secretreeve

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:51 pm

never mind, i found it in EMP as unallocated space, well mostly anyway.

74.4mb primary (46.9mb free)

1.55gb (1.55gb used) *other* format

other amount (full) *other* format

5.67gb unallocated space (reformatted to FAT32)

mgmt_idiot

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:06 pm

I've asked this elsewhere (Fedora Thread) a couple of weeks back, albeit slightly differently expressed, but no-one answered - I guess the Seneca Fedora people are working hard on the build rather than answering questions.

I can understand doing a dd to create a BIOS-type capability on the SD card for initial boot. But having got an initial boot then I'd prefer to install the OS from an iso.

Any insights?

digital_addict

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:44 pm

mgmt_idiot said:

Any insights?

Check out the home page, second item Chris Tyler's video. The Fedora Remix OS is supposed to be available for download Wed 22/2/12. SD installation should be same as Debian. Only one left is Arch Linux, not been following this one so don't know. AFAIK these are the only distributions ported to ARM.

mgmt_idiot

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 am

digital_addict said:

Check out the home page, second item Chris Tyler's video.

SD installation should be same as Debian.

I watched the video when it came out. I didn't see any mention of an installation process from iso, as opposed to a "copy image to SD card" process. The notion of it being the same as Debian is kind of concerning.

I see a lot of mucking about with yum in my future

Still, it's very early days. Maybe an installation option more to my preference will emerge in a few months from the community. Probably after F17 and F18 are out.

grumpyoldgit

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 am

mgmt_idiot said:

digital_addict said:

Check out the home page, second item Chris Tyler's video.

SD installation should be same as Debian.

I watched the video when it came out. I didn't see any mention of an installation process from iso, as opposed to a "copy image to SD card" process. The notion of it being the same as Debian is kind of concerning.

I see a lot of mucking about with yum in my future

Still, it's very early days. Maybe an installation option more to my preference will emerge in a few months from the community. Probably after F17 and F18 are out.

The installation process is pretty simple. I'm scratching my head to work out what you think is complicated about it.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am

mgmt_idiot said:

I can understand doing a dd to create a BIOS-type capability on the SD card for initial boot. But having got an initial boot then I'd prefer to install the OS from an iso.
Why?

The difficult dd commands are a symptom of the early release. They can and will be packaged into user-friendly applications on both Linux and Windows, well before the educational release.

The hardware of a Raspberry Pi is fixed. About the only things worth configuring are the screen resolution and the keyboard layout. Both of those can be done with single commands on the first boot. There is no necessity to run a complex installation script.

Installing from ISO requires media attached to the RPi that many people do not have.

Copying to SD card allows people to have a bank of template images configured how they want, whereas doing the same with ISO would require them to repackage the distribution themselves.

Perhaps if you could tell us the use-case that you are concerned about, we could understand what your concerns were and either agree with you or allay them.

tawalker

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:49 am

Looking forward to the Arch distro image release too

Thanks for all your hard work, everyone!
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

Return to “General discussion”