jfornango

USB/NIC Alignment

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:42 am

I went through seven screens of topics and didn't see this. If it's a repeat of something older, I do apologize.

So far, I love my Pi. Easy to work with, easy to add to. I've only found one little issue. The NIC sits in alignment with the edge of the board, but the USB extends past the edge by a significant amount. I'm trying to set up a custom case, and I was thinking it would be nice if the two stacks lined up.

In looking at the board, I see that the USB is attached right at the board edge and that there are components behind it, which means it can't move back. In looking at the NIC, the connections are set at the back of the stack, and there is nothing in front of it.

It would appear (unless there are board layers I'm unaware of) that you could move the NIC out a couple of mils, to line up with the USB, and it would only require extending a couple of copper traces.

Just a thought for a Rev. 4 board.
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: USB/NIC Alignment

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:19 am

It's unfortunate that the Pi ended up being designed this way but IMO it's too late to change it. All the cases etc that are out there have now been designed around the current layout.

tonyhughes

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:26 am

It gives it 'character' !!

It actually has meant that there are some more than subtle differences between different brands of case, as they deal with this odd arrangement in different ways.

I don't see a problem, other than DIY cases being a bit harder to get right.

jfornango

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Perhaps. Just thinking out loud.
Maybe something to consider if Raspberry ever does another (likely non-Pi) board.
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

Return to “General discussion”