BugBytes

Who want a red Raspberry Pi?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:59 pm

I don't know about you guys, but they look so nice- I want one even though I'm not in Asia...

diereinegier

Re: Who want a red Raspberry Pi?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Just be patient. Sooner or later they will be offered on ebay.
Download my repositories at https://github.com/GeorgBisseling

theoB610

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:20 pm

diereinegier wrote:Just be patient. Sooner or later they will be offered on ebay.
Probably illegally:
it’s not legal to import them into the EU or the USA, or into some other parts of the world.
--liz

mediakill

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Nice but not sure i want one unless it gets offered at the base price. Not sure i would wanna pay overpriced ebay price which is bound to be jacked up

MattHawkinsUK

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Probably not illegal to sell individual second hand items to private buyers.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:00 am

It will be illegal for Egoman to sell the boards outside China. What any Chinese individuals who buy them from Egoman do with them is completely up to them and individuals who may buy the boards from them, assuming there are no oddball export or import regulations that cover this kind of case (what lawyers and bureaucrats are capable of would not surprise me in the least).

In the U.S., if no one complains about interference from a device, there is no foul and no penalty. According to FCC regulations, if interference can be proven, the operator of the device must either take measures to eliminate the interference (e.g., shielding) or cease operation. Unless there are modifications to the Pi PCB layout, parts, etc., from the current designs, it's likely that there will be no interference (but, no guarantee), especially given the low power levels at which the Pi operates, the typical shielding on cables, etc.

I "look forward" to walking down dark alleys in Chinatown, surreptitiously asking the kind of people from whom one might normally seek illegal drugs, "Hey, buddy, you got any red Pi? How much? How many you got?" However, I neither condone nor encourage anyone to buy illegal Pi of any flavo(u)r/colo(u)r ... ;)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

tonyhughes

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:09 am

Nice looking board. If I was running one in open view or a clear case, then yes - looks way better than green. I run my Pi in a colored case, so moot point for me.

For me, it is not worth any kind of wait or premium price.

psergiu

Sun May 12, 2013 7:37 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Mo ... 1212239395

Raspberry Pi - Model B(Red), 50 USD + shipping.

Has anyone else found cheaper ones ?

Zarquon

Sun May 12, 2013 8:20 pm

I bought one from aliexpress.
It costed 61USD and came with a clear (type "C") case.
It does look nice, and works fine so far, I'm happy with it.

W. H. Heydt

Sun May 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Jim Manley wrote: In the U.S., if no one complains about interference from a device, there is no foul and no penalty. According to FCC regulations, if interference can be proven, the operator of the device must either take measures to eliminate the interference (e.g., shielding) or cease operation.
Sometimes...that's easier than you might think.

Back in the mid-60s, we had a neighbor who was a ham (amateur radio, for non-USians) operator. His signal was bleeding into the TV broadcast band. My father told him that he needed to look to his shielding to stop it. The neighbor just brushed it off. My father had things set up to make audio recordings off the air (no home video recorders then...and he was using reel-to-reel 1/4" tape). One day, he got a recording of a commercial program with the neighbor giving his call letters riding over the broadcast.

My father sent the tape to the FCC. Several folks from the FCC came to call on the neighbor. He was told "shut it down until you can show us that you have proper shielding in place." The FCC folks were NOT amused.

Heater

Mon May 13, 2013 8:33 am

I don't understand why all Raspberry Pi's aren't red as they should obviously be.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Heater wrote:I don't understand why all Raspberry Pi's aren't red as they should obviously be.
Cost. At the initial expected volumes it would have been too expensive to have any colour other than the bog standard green

cyrano

Mon May 13, 2013 12:07 pm

Heater wrote:I don't understand why all Raspberry Pi's aren't red as they should obviously be.
The ripe ones have already been eaten :lol:

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 am

ukscone wrote:
Cost. At the initial expected volumes it would have been too expensive to have any colour other than the bog standard green
I always wondered what shade of green that was - I didn't realize that PCBs were first made from materials dug out of peat bogs, but given that "Peat" Lomas designed the layout for the current Pi boards, it all now makes perfect sense! :lol:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

mrpi64

Wed May 15, 2013 8:16 am

I wouldn't mind one. or a luminous green one. That would be nice.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

Return to “General discussion”