PerceptualRobots

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Hello,

I'm a roboticist in the process of starting up a robotics compancy based upon a novel approach to robotics based upon how living systems operate, http://www.perceptualrobots.com/2017/11 ... hitecture/

Previously I have work mainly with Lego EV3 but I am looking to do a robotics project with the Raspberry.

Regards,
Rupert

FlirtingWithDisaster

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 am

Hi! I'm Howard.

I see members in their 30's calling themselves codgers so I'm not sure what that makes me at 63! I've been a tinkerer forever, taking apart old tube radios and once in a blue moon actually getting one to work after I "fixed" it.

My first PC was a NEC 286 10 MHZ with a whopping 640K of RAM and a 40 MB (yes, I said MB) hard drive and DOS 3.2 in ROM. Cutting Edge!

I discovered Pi's about a year ago and love these little guys. Slowly learning Python (okay, actually copying and modifying other peoples code to suit me, but that's how I learn best).

Hoping I can start giving back to the community that's given me so many ideas!

Thank You

alierkanimrek

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:03 am

Hi all, I'm Ali

I'm hobbiest coder and have an pi card. I'm working on a server system that aim to connect pi like systems to each other and control them over internet. I hope to share the project soon.

Regards
Warning, he is learning English.

AcmeLabs

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to say HI!!

I love in Greenwood, Indiana

I'm totally new to the Raspberry PI. I do have a few projects I'm working on and would love some help and guidance if I could get it.
I'm not sure where to start/post in the forum though.

Thank you.

Ant27

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Hello,

My name is Anthony and I'm a musician that's working on my first Pi project. I'm building a musical pi thing. Not sure of what to call it exactly, but it'll function as a Midi Fighter style instrument with Sanwa arcade buttons, and as a DAW, effects processor, looper, and so on.

Anyways in doing my own research, topics on this forum always come up at the top of the search results. So I thought I'd join the community and give back. I've noticed there can be some gate keeping on this forum, so after I complete my project I'm planning to write up a post on some common questions asked here that I've had and tend to be gate kept. My favorite reply so far was "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it." This forum is intended for people to share, ask and learn about a board that was itself originally intended as a learning tool for children. If you didn't have to ask, there's nothing to learn. It was entertaining to see that irony lost on the person who posted the reply, but at the same time its unfortunate to see those replies as being very common.

If everyone took that advice, the Raspberry PI Foundation would likely go out of business lol. I even saw another reply instructing someone to design, manufacture, and write specific machine code for their own PCB, to obtain a functionality the original poster asked about. After the intimidating set of complex instructions, they concluded that it wasn't worth it and impossible for a beginner like the OP. They failed to mention that such a board already exists by a particular name, and is cheaply available plug-n-play from all the big online retailers. There's always a way for anyone to do something DIY.

So after doing further research, I've answered many questions myself and plan to share what I've found. A few particular questions are frequently asked and have yet to be answered adequately or at all. Some examples by topic: Reusing existing LCD displays from other devices, finding cheap displays, desoldering/soldering usb sockets and cables, setting up and choosing a headless Pi for maximum speed in specific applications, customizing linux, studio quality audio I/O, using the display DSI port, and so on. Hopefully my post will be an informative starting point for others who come across it in search results, and will clear up misinformation that's falsely made certain things out to be dead ends. That's something I wish I had when I started. The spirit of DIY'ing with Pi's is about creativity, working it out for yourself, learning, and being affordable, so as to lower the barrier of learning technology for more people. Anyways that's why I decided to join, and hopefully I'll get to drafting up that post soon.

pilover1986

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:11 am

Hi I'm a new member here you can call me han, I'm a techie lover who wants to try new things specially if there's a gadgets that needed to be tweak, I was happy that there's such this community where I can ask also possibly will be able to help anyone.

maryrosesmithadvance

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 am

Hi everyone! Just checking in. :)

mohit0707

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 am

Hi, I'm Mohi Gupta, Usually business analyst online. I'm in United Kingdom.

Yukon Cornelius

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi Folks !

Newcomer to the forum , but not quite a newcomer to the wonderful world of Pi .
I've got some great Pi projects running already , but I'm always looking for more ideas
and hoping that I can make a positive contribution to the forum in general .

I'm from a coding and electronics background going back many years , so the Pi is right up my street ,
and as a long-time Debian user , Raspbian feels like a comfort zone !

Return to “General discussion”