PerceptualRobots

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Hello,

I'm a roboticist in the process of starting up a robotics compancy based upon a novel approach to robotics based upon how living systems operate, http://www.perceptualrobots.com/2017/11 ... hitecture/

Previously I have work mainly with Lego EV3 but I am looking to do a robotics project with the Raspberry.

Regards,
Rupert

FlirtingWithDisaster

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 am

Hi! I'm Howard.

I see members in their 30's calling themselves codgers so I'm not sure what that makes me at 63! I've been a tinkerer forever, taking apart old tube radios and once in a blue moon actually getting one to work after I "fixed" it.

My first PC was a NEC 286 10 MHZ with a whopping 640K of RAM and a 40 MB (yes, I said MB) hard drive and DOS 3.2 in ROM. Cutting Edge!

I discovered Pi's about a year ago and love these little guys. Slowly learning Python (okay, actually copying and modifying other peoples code to suit me, but that's how I learn best).

Hoping I can start giving back to the community that's given me so many ideas!

Thank You

alierkanimrek

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:03 am

Hi all, I'm Ali

I'm hobbiest coder and have an pi card. I'm working on a server system that aim to connect pi like systems to each other and control them over internet. I hope to share the project soon.

Regards
Ali E.IMREK (rplexus.net developer)

AcmeLabs

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to say HI!!

I love in Greenwood, Indiana

I'm totally new to the Raspberry PI. I do have a few projects I'm working on and would love some help and guidance if I could get it.
I'm not sure where to start/post in the forum though.

Thank you.

Ant27

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Hello,

My name is Anthony and I'm a musician that's working on my first Pi project. I'm building a musical pi thing. Not sure of what to call it exactly, but it'll function as a Midi Fighter style instrument with Sanwa arcade buttons, and as a DAW, effects processor, looper, and so on.

Anyways in doing my own research, topics on this forum always come up at the top of the search results. So I thought I'd join the community and give back. I've noticed there can be some gate keeping on this forum, so after I complete my project I'm planning to write up a post on some common questions asked here that I've had and tend to be gate kept. My favorite reply so far was "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it." This forum is intended for people to share, ask and learn about a board that was itself originally intended as a learning tool for children. If you didn't have to ask, there's nothing to learn. It was entertaining to see that irony lost on the person who posted the reply, but at the same time its unfortunate to see those replies as being very common.

If everyone took that advice, the Raspberry PI Foundation would likely go out of business lol. I even saw another reply instructing someone to design, manufacture, and write specific machine code for their own PCB, to obtain a functionality the original poster asked about. After the intimidating set of complex instructions, they concluded that it wasn't worth it and impossible for a beginner like the OP. They failed to mention that such a board already exists by a particular name, and is cheaply available plug-n-play from all the big online retailers. There's always a way for anyone to do something DIY.

So after doing further research, I've answered many questions myself and plan to share what I've found. A few particular questions are frequently asked and have yet to be answered adequately or at all. Some examples by topic: Reusing existing LCD displays from other devices, finding cheap displays, desoldering/soldering usb sockets and cables, setting up and choosing a headless Pi for maximum speed in specific applications, customizing linux, studio quality audio I/O, using the display DSI port, and so on. Hopefully my post will be an informative starting point for others who come across it in search results, and will clear up misinformation that's falsely made certain things out to be dead ends. That's something I wish I had when I started. The spirit of DIY'ing with Pi's is about creativity, working it out for yourself, learning, and being affordable, so as to lower the barrier of learning technology for more people. Anyways that's why I decided to join, and hopefully I'll get to drafting up that post soon.

pilover1986

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:11 am

Hi I'm a new member here you can call me han, I'm a techie lover who wants to try new things specially if there's a gadgets that needed to be tweak, I was happy that there's such this community where I can ask also possibly will be able to help anyone.

maryrosesmithadvance

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 am

Hi everyone! Just checking in. :)

mohit0707

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 am

Hi, I'm Mohi Gupta, Usually business analyst online. I'm in United Kingdom.

Yukon Cornelius

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi Folks !

Newcomer to the forum , but not quite a newcomer to the wonderful world of Pi .
I've got some great Pi projects running already , but I'm always looking for more ideas
and hoping that I can make a positive contribution to the forum in general .

I'm from a coding and electronics background going back many years , so the Pi is right up my street ,
and as a long-time Debian user , Raspbian feels like a comfort zone !

mrberty2020

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi all,

My names Robert "prefer Rob though" I'm an I.T Manager for a manufacturing company within the UK.

Passion for all things techie so obviously PI's answer to micro computers has interested me.

I've been a Windows user all my life ( Earn a living looking after these OS environments but getting slightly bored!)

This is where Raspbian & Linux comes in, starting from the ground up I want to learn as much as I can about this new OS and its possible uses.

I have a degree in computer systems & software development although my job doesn't let me use my programming skill set as much as I'd have hoped.

Perfect opportunity to learn Linux / Python programming and we will see where It takes me :D

Cheers :D :) :lol:

Will5455

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 pm

HI all!

I'm will5455 (real name undisclosable as I am 13) plz don't judge me as I am knew-ish. I have had a pi 3 for about a year an 2 arduino's for about 4 months one is an uno other uno R3 clone from elegoo or telegoo. Have used everyone's wonderful advice maaaaaayyyyybeee will contribute a little :)

victorrobinson

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Myself Victor Robinson working with Zorneo company based in China my hobbies are award-winning travel ninja. Pop culture enthusiast.

Link500

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:09 am

just bought a pi at target. been eyeing them for awhile now. a friend of mine got one on amazon basically as an emulator box, but I didn't really care for that since I've got all the games i want either as the originals, or through Nintendo's vc service. and besides that you can get those on pretty much any pc already anyway.

what eventually got me to get the pi was i wanted to really learn more about programming in general, and I figured for something cheap but also versatile like the pi, i didn't have much to lose.

I'm currently in the process of making a case for it, and looked up a tutorial on how to install a power button. I may even get another just to link two together(i've read about making a cluster of em, some folks even linking hundreds of em, for what I'd use it for other than just to see how it works i'm not sure).

So yeah, nice to meet everyone.

siribiriz

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Bought a PI, whooooooooooooooooop it's not here yet, wish it were here already :mrgreen: i love mr green

Darren.Jones

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi All,

How many pi's can i own before it becomes a problem?? i have 5 pi's currently, an original 256mb, upto the new pi3B+ and 2* Pi0w

Darren

WastedProps

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:24 am

(mods, feel free to shift this post into the more appropriate section)

Greetings folks, I was recommended to come here by a fellow user. I'm a replica prop builder and have been building fallout inspired props for about 4 years. I have been planning and sourcing parts to build a replica Fallout terminal based around a raspberry pi 3B+. My plan is to have it run like the terminals in fallout 4 with a few upgrades, i.e. ASCII web browsing, music player with 40's and 50's tracks, the mini games found on holotapes like atomic command, grognak etc and a few other bonus's. I originally started building the mini games in 'Scratch', but found that I couldn't really do much with the final game. ideally I'd probably want to have the games built in html5, but I'm open to suggestions.

this is the sort of thing I'm talking about (runs best on firefox)

https://phosphorus.github.io/app.html?i ... ght=%22360

Cheers.

CleverleyDone

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm Martin from Essex England. I have been programming on and off for 31 years since I was 9 on the Amstrad CPC 464.

Currently a very bored IT & Systems Manager! :roll:

Languages & Technologies:

PHP | HTML | CSS | Python | Apache | IIS | MySQL | jQuery | Windows 3.1-10 :)

I have designed and built networks, servers, websites, CDN's, DB's, full back and front end systems for retail and wholesale. :P

I'm not the best, tidiest or even know that much about all the technologies above, but, I know the limitations and the best use cases for each of them. I love combining technologies to reach the end goal.

You can keep up-to-date with my project here: https://github.com/CleverleyDone/MyPi

Home Automation :idea:

MyPi v.1 - Web interface control - BETA
MyPi v.1 - Sensor control - ALPHA
MyPi v.3 - AI Complimented - IN MY HEAD (I am however collecting data already for this)

If I can be of any help to anyone, let me know 8-)

Now...Lets Geek!

jMrL

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:04 am

Hello !!

I just wanted to say the new front page is awesome.
Remember You Are Amazing!

looking for a person that enjoys speaking and loves tech.
https://yolodigi.com

komoloco

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:46 am

Hi, I'm Joaquin, aka Komoloco. Nice to see you guys.

puspack

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 am

hi
i am new in this group. My name is Puspak. and i love travelling.

rromano001

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:14 am

HI, this is Roberto, I live in Italy, my primary job is teacher on high school.
I'm approaching (passed) retirement age but for now I have to wait new law stopping move forward.

As secondary Job I work on embedded system, Linux (C/C++), embedded microcontrollers and FPGA on VHDL language.
I also like hiking and cycling but time is forever too short to do all I wish.
I love read book (on paper) and I like so much music I am no more able to play myself.
Happy to meet all forum, I try to be of help but I cannot give more than short spare time.
I experienced bad behaviour on some fora so I left immediately if personal attack or arrogance is detected.
Also I cannot waste all my spare time no fora, I am on more than one and time is shared by an unpredictable scheduler, sorry if you get some help then silence for some while. Silence is when spare time vanish... school exams, project deadlines, possibly sick.
Greetings to all.
Roberto

urthlight

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Hello, I am Lane. My user name Urthlight is a mash up from two of my favorite authors, Clarke and Isamov(extra points if you can guess either part). I am in sunny Cocoa, Florida.During the day I build industrial automation for theme parks and aerospace companies. In my alter ego after hours I build yardbots, drones, 3D printers and laser goodies. I started with PIC but abandoned that for Arduino. I have been building all kinds of cool stuff with the arduino family. So i have a new project and the Pi seems to be the best fit. So here I am the owner of a brand new 3B+. So I have a few questions.............

Mecaniko

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:19 am

Hello.. my name is nelvin., Filipino, male, 42, a Scrap collector from Philippines.. i don't know anything about programming and new technologies.. My brain is empty., I know nothing about your topics but one reason that i'm here because i saw one project in this site that i find it very interesting to know and learn how it works? i think this raspberry pi3 b+ can help me earn coins if somebody can help me or teach me how to connect to a coin slot.. :)

thank you..

Lukenjoy

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:53 am

Hello everyone, this is Luca from Italy.

I’m 38 and I’m Computer professional.

I usually work with Windows and in the last years I’m approaching to Linux world and I love PI’s, I just bought one and I have some ideas to use it in my home...

Hope to learn a lot of things with you...

Regards ;)

100xyz

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:03 am

Hi

My name is Sridhar - born in India, US citizen now living in Beijing. I am a graduate of the Indian Institute of Technology and University of Delaware. I did a thru hike of the Eastern Continental Trail running from Quebec to Key West (10 months, 5000 miles). I am an artist and a tech engineer. My art web site is www.svrart.com

Me and two other cofounders have started a startup :-) that lets wifi guests land directly on the wifi owners web pages (captive portal + local web server). We are in talks with an MNC for seed funding. We hope to do a kickstarter/indiegogo in a couple of months. Here is the web site for that www.100-xyz.com

I have been a lurker for more than a year. Could not register here because the captcha code that is at the end of the registration requires google, that is blocked in China. Greg Annandale of this site helped out and Im here now :-)

This is nice community.

Feedback on our startup idea appreciated :-)
Sridhar
Cofounder 100-xyz.com
Lets your wifi guests land directly on your webpages

Return to “General discussion”