jmang

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi all,

My name is Jim, and I am a recently retired software engineer and project manager living in New York City.

I came to Raspberry Pi looking for a solution to use as a media player in the living room, as I've placed virtually all my music, CDs, LPs, etc. on a file server. I used iTunes for quite a while on a Mac Mini, but it proved inconvenient for several reasons especially for my wife who is somewhat technically savvy but has a short attention span for technology that is at all cumbersome, complicated or quirky and the Mac setup was all of these.

So long story short I put together a Raspberry Pi solution using a Hifiberry Dac+ Pro and Squeezeplay software and integrated it with the Harmony Smart Remote we are accustomed to using for other entertainment center functions. It was an adventure putting this solution together, as I had never worked with a Raspberry Pi before (in fact, I haven't done that much UNIX work in the past decade or so) and I had to search out much of the information I needed to engineer it online. But being a tinkerer at heart I mostly enjoyed the experience despite occasional setbacks and frustration, pretty much par for any IT project.

At risk of sounding smarmy, I would like to thank the Raspberry Pi Foundation, its people and this community for providing and supporting a product that has revolutionized information technology. As a 34-year veteran of the IT business who has seen IT (more frequently known as Computer Science or Computer Technology back then) grow from an arcane sub-specialty to a ubiquitous and necessary part of modern life, I would describe Raspberry Pi and its ecosystem with a very overused but in this case well deserved adjective: awesome, absolutely awesome.

that sweet pi

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:57 am

Hey im a IT student 2nd year and i am intrested in getting a raspberry pi, so if anyone has any tips i'd love to hear it, if any one would like to help me understand linux and is willing to help me i'd love to hear from you, so by this introduction, Hello :)

John_Vella

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:17 pm

that sweet pi wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:57 am
Hey im a IT student 2nd year and i am intrested in getting a raspberry pi, so if anyone has any tips i'd love to hear it, if any one would like to help me understand linux and is willing to help me i'd love to hear from you, so by this introduction, Hello :)
Welcome to the forum! I've got a tip for you... explore these forums, as we're all here to help each other, and remember that there are countless tutorial videos on YouTube... that's how I'm learning.

Typing this has made me realise that I haven't introduced myself, so...

Hello! I'm John, and I've had Pi's since they came out, but it's only recently that I've really started using them seriously.

Always learning, and always happy and keen to pass on anything I learn.

MhxAir

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:16 am

I'll probably be here more often as I journey through setting up my pi3, so I'll make an intro.

My name is Mhx Air, (pronounced Mechs like the robot or mechanics).
I've been interested in exploring technology since I learned how to use a Windows 95 when I was 4 or something.
By Kindergarten, I was teaching my teacher how to use hers.
I've explored LUA and C++, a bit of HTML, CSS, and I've always loved bbcode.
I'm huge on using forums, so if you've ever seen another Mhx, that was probably me, on any site or game.
I'm trash at focusing on long tutorials, mostly ADHD, but I do occasionally moderate at flowlab.io, a code free game builder site.
My dream is to learn programming advanced games, or find a team, because I prefer everything but code.
Hopefully I'll build my metroidvania games one day, and become a CEO of something.

I started building a pi to explore a realm outside of prebuilt laptops.
I've used nearly every device from windows, mac, android, ios, atari, nintendo, playstation, xbox, sega, you name an OS, I've probably owned or used it. I've even made homebrew for some systems, so after learning about my pi3, I might look into making a test game for it.
I was a child genius in AP classes, but took on athletics and bodybuilding, somehow making me into a Hulk Syndrome idiot.
Currently struggling to stay intelligent while remaining athletic. Finding balance the is key to success.

adnanmarzuki

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 am

Hello friends, my name adnan working as technical support, like to learn about robotic, thanks all GBU

TurboT

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi,

My name is Chris, and I'm an electrical engineering student in New Jersey. I also work as a recording and mixing engineer.

I design analog audio equipment, and within the last several years, I've been becoming more involved with programming and computer design.

I'm enjoying working with Raspberry Pi, both as an extension of my interests in audio, and to learn more about computing in general.

I look forward to enjoying this forum with you all!

Advancedlearner100

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Being a hardwork musician, I’ve always searched for new room to develop my skills in teaching, Research and musical matters. Beside passing my master degree at the top university of the country, the 3 recent years of my life are accounted as the most thriving, with teaching at university, working on research papers that either address an issue of my city or country, director of http://saziha.ir/ Thanks for having me!

greggboy

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi everyone, I am newbie here. :)

Melhior

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:46 pm

Hello guys, it's nice to be here. I work in IT and try to sort out the chaos like chaos orbs and other poe currency
https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile
Last edited by Melhior on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Extendons

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:13 am

I am Carolyn Hall, an eCommerce extension developer. I have developed more than 100 extensions for WooCommerce. I am new to this forum, saying hello to all the members of this forum.

andrei.carp

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:29 am

Hello!

My name is Andrei, I'm a hardware engineer working for some 11 years now in the automotive industry, and I'm passionate about DIY.
I've heard about Raspberry PI a couple of years ago, but got to know it better just a couple of months ago, when I discovered Retropie!
I guess I have Nintendo to thank for doing such a poor job with the supply of the NES Classic Console, otherwise I may have never really discovered this precious little gem Raspberry PI is. I started right away with Raspberry PI 3 that I actually bought on impulse when I found a good price for a kit containing the official case, power supply, the PI itself and decent micro SD card.

My main project right now is to get to now better both Retropie and KODI. I've been thinking for some time about a small media center that I could use to play my movie collection that I have stored on my desktop computer that acts as a NAS now...

I discovered Retropie shortly after Nintendo announced the release on the NES classic. I planned at the moment to buy it, just for the sake of playing Mario Super Bros. Meanwhile, after reading here and there, I started to look around for emulator too, but I was on the fence for too much. I missed the opportunity of buying the NES classic, and I was not willing to pay double or triple it's retail value. It is then I started to research Retropie in depths and binge watch youtube videos about it. It is then I decided I should really give RPI 3 a try!

So, here I am!

My plans for my RPI3 DIY project are:
- get bluetooth to work (in Retropie, KODI and Raspian);
- re-use the RF module from an old XBOX360 to interface Xbox controllers (complete with sync capability, power on/off and use the on-board LEDS);
- build a passive cooling solution that will keep the Broadcom chip under 55°C even under heavy load.
- I'm also considering modifying at first, later maybe even building my own case that will fit the big heat-spreader I have to mount on the Broadcom chip. My plan is to start with the official case that I aleady own, and then move to something along the lines of Pibow 3 Coupe.

I have little time for DIY right now, as I dedicate most of my free time to my family (married for 10 years now, and I have two gorgeous children, a 2 years old girl and a 7 years old boy), so I'll take one topic at a time, and the first on my list is the Bluetooth topic, as it will also help me refresh the little knowledge I had about Linux 11-12 years ago when I was using it on a daily basis for my projects as a student.

The order of the topics is not necessarily the one above, after fixing the Bluetooth, I may get to the cooling topic. I have a thing for making things run cool... :)

Yours truly,
Andrei
Last edited by andrei.carp on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wd8ash

I am Rick wd8ash A ham radio opr

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:15 pm

I got a pi to run radio digital modes I started playing with the pi and got addicted to it
I discovered that pi is a lot more than A cheap comp . I am using. it for my main computer
I bought another one .
I have been using computers since my neurotics elf THIS IS THE MOST FUN COMP I have had in A long time
The possibilities are endless I LOVE the pi !!!!
Rick wd8ash

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:43 pm

I believe you must mean the COSMAC ELF?! or am I mistaken?

Thunder1990

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:19 am

Hi,

My name is Koen and I live in Belgium. I am not new with the Raspberry Pi, but I have still so much to learn about it. :)

SarbjitGrewal

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 am

HI, Everyone,

I am a newbie here in this forum. Ask me anything about web development.

PietroDC

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi! It's Pietro here, i'm 22, from Italy but travelling everyday for my job, how are you?
I'm really new here and a newbie on Raspberry or any barebone board, i have a crazy project and i hope to find king people here that can help me :D
I usually program in C#.Net, i used PHP and tried some Python script on my RPi2, i've bought a RPi3 for the crazy project but i'll explain it in the correct forum section :)

See you!!

deploy

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:03 pm

<t>Hi everyone, my name is Emmanuel from Ghana. My interest is in IOT using RPI.</t>

imanfatah15

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 pm

Hello, My name is iman and I New member from Indonesia. I am a writer On https://tutugon.com/jual-geotextile/

61575d24

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:16 pm

n
Last edited by 61575d24 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KC13

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Hello all! My name is Ken or Kasey, I answer to both. :) . Many years ago I was a MIS (Management Information Systems) or (Mostly In S**T to us vets) manager when computers were just being introduced in many organizations. I loved the early coding and problem solving but after climbing the management ladder I saw fewer and fewer opportunities to pursue those early loves. Now that I am retired, I purchased an Asus Tinker Board ( :o ), but it was too "green". Nothing worked with it. I then purchased a Raspberry Pi and am on my way!

Rentalmo

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi everyone, greeting from Indonesia. I'm Vicini working for http://vicinirentalmobil.com/rental-mob ... rat-murah/. Thank you for having me here..
Last edited by Rentalmo on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Opina

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Hello, it's nice to join :-).
Do you want to trade with me in the Rocket League? As I buy my rl items only on trusted sites, I always choose https://odealo.com/games/rocket-league to buy my rl items and crates
Last edited by Opina on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amarsontakke

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:00 am

Hello,
I am Amar From Pune. I am Working with GNS TEchnologies pune. we provide training , course of ccna , computer hardware & networking with placement.

https://www.gnstechnologies.in/cisco-c ... ng-in-pune

LuckyPete

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:36 pm

I am Pierre. Love them things we can hack and play to do anything. I am from french Canada... merci.

Grimesaion

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:18 am

Gary here.

New to the raspberry pi i own a rp3 and want to do so much so i need to educate my self 1st all these amazing things that can be done with one is amazing. Looking forward to picking up allot of tips and hints from people on this forum.

Cheers..

Return to “General discussion”