W. H. Heydt

Re: RaspBerry Pi(e) Model C (imaginations & wants)

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:13 pm

rurwin wrote:That's an interesting concept, maybe I should buy a parallella and link the two up...
A "Raspiella"?

rpdom

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 am

rurwin wrote:
rpdom wrote:
sej7278 wrote:and the pipedream pi shouldn't be called the model-c, it should be called the Master to be historically accurate.
To be really accurate, it should be the B+, then B+128, and then Master and Master Compact (the half-credit card sized version). I'd get a Compact. It'd bring back good memories :)
Then I'd have to get a second-processor. That's an interesting concept, maybe I should buy a parallella and link the two up...
If I did that too, it would have to be a 6502 second processor, as I had an ARM second processor on my B+ :)

0117blocky

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:45 pm

After browsing the internet, I may have found an alternative to the Beagle board black for the Raspberry pi. If you go to the mbed site http://mbed.org/handbook/SerialPC, it tells you how to use Freescale's freedom board from a Windows, Mac OS or Linux machine (PC) using a USB connection.
There is a demo terminal program on the page which makes the Freedom board's LED1 dim or go brighter.
The freedom board is a very low power Micro controller board, which you may be able to power it directly from one of the RPI's USBs.
Farnell sell a basic kit for £8.62 plus vat. (NOTE farnel want £20 minimum order.)
http://uk.farnell.com/freescale-semicon ... dp/2289764

Burngate

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 pm

"I have a dream .... "

So the Pi is what it is ... but I can dream ...

In that dream, Broadcom make a new chip ... It has that known and loved VideoCore 1V ... and it has an ARM core ...
BUT they threw away the USB Designware OTG controller hardware and put in something decent

Of course they wouldn't do that because it would cost too much, and take too many man-hours, ... but I can dream, can't I?

The12stringwizard

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 am

I hate the ports on all sides concept, they should have ethernet, hdmi, a/v out, and analog audio out on one side, and usb and sd card on the opposite side. 1 gb of ram, dual core, ability to handle up to 9 volts, mini usb instead of the fragile micro usb for power, and raw lcd support. AND PLEASE ROUND THE EDGES OF THE BOARD! WHEN PEOPLE BUY RPI's THEY WANT TO FIT IT IN AN ALTOIDS TIN!
Last edited by The12stringwizard on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:34 am

The connectors on all sides is a pain, but to do it otherwise would take a larger PCB to route the signals, and that would have cost more.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 am

The12stringwizard wrote:I hate the ports on all sides concept, they should have ethernet, hdmi, a/v out, and analog audio out on one side, and usb and sd card on the opposite side. 1 gb of ram, dual core, ability to handle up to 9 volts, mini usb instead of the fragile micro usb for power, and raw lcd support.

[mod edit: no need for the F-bomb; there's sensitive adults about. ;-) ]
I believe uUSB is rated for more insertions than miniUSB but then I've never had either fail. We already have raw LCD support with the DSI port, but its not particularly accessible yet.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

0117blocky

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:37 am

@Burngate
I have a dream.... The day my Raspberry Pi cries "FREEDOM" and that day has past.
I now have a Scottish Raspberry Pi, they say the best Raspberries come from Scotland. (That's what they say on the deluxe yogurt cartons.)

It's quite straight forward to get a Rpi to communicate with a Freescale freedom board, just dig around the mbed site.

jamesh

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:43 am

jamesh wrote:
The12stringwizard wrote:I hate the ports on all sides concept, they should have ethernet, hdmi, a/v out, and analog audio out on one side, and usb and sd card on the opposite side. 1 gb of ram, dual core, ability to handle up to 9 volts, mini usb instead of the fragile micro usb for power, and raw lcd support.

I believe uUSB is rated for more insertions than miniUSB but then I've never had either fail. We already have raw LCD support with the DSI port, but its not particularly accessible yet.
And of course, it's the standard chosen for charging over USB, and therefor must be fit for the purpose of plugging and unplugging a lot when charging phones etc, so thats quite a few thousand insertions. SO I'm not sure it can be regarded as fragile.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

abishur

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:26 pm

jamesh wrote:
jamesh wrote:

And of course, it's the standard chosen for charging over USB, and therefor must be fit for the purpose of plugging and unplugging a lot when charging phones etc, so thats quite a few thousand insertions. SO I'm not sure it can be regarded as fragile.
Not to make slight of the initial point wizard made, but that makes me think of the video of the young teen who took his phone which featured the amazing new gorilla glass, and to test its durability hit it with a hammer. He then proceeded to fuss that the glass wasn't all that strong because it couldn't withstand a hit from a hammer. Much in life is a mater of relativity ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

sej7278

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 pm

jamesh wrote:And of course, it's the standard chosen for charging over USB, and therefor must be fit for the purpose of plugging and unplugging a lot when charging phones etc, so thats quite a few thousand insertions. SO I'm not sure it can be regarded as fragile.
hmm, but then the microusb port on a phone is usually pretty well supported by the case, not just hanging off the edge of a pcb.

The12stringwizard

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:05 pm

jamesh wrote:
I mean, They should have access to the dsi, coz right now it's just
sitting there, perhaps they should approve some screens, and again, I want to be able to power the thing with a 6 volt battery so they should have a better regulator to support 5 to 9 volts and 5 amps.

jamesh

Wed May 01, 2013 2:55 am

sej7278 wrote:
jamesh wrote:And of course, it's the standard chosen for charging over USB, and therefor must be fit for the purpose of plugging and unplugging a lot when charging phones etc, so thats quite a few thousand insertions. SO I'm not sure it can be regarded as fragile.
hmm, but then the microusb port on a phone is usually pretty well supported by the case, not just hanging off the edge of a pcb.
Usually the case has nothing to do with it, its the attachment point on the PCB where all the strength is. (I've seen many many phones in bits)

jamesh

Wed May 01, 2013 2:57 am

The12stringwizard wrote:
jamesh wrote:
I mean, They should have access to the dsi, coz right now it's just
sitting there, perhaps they should approve some screens, and again, I want to be able to power the thing with a 6 volt battery so they should have a better regulator to support 5 to 9 volts and 5 amps.
LCD is just a matter of time - as a charity with very few employees and relying on help from elsewhere, these things take time to sort out. They do not make themselves work. It's not just a matter of approving a screen. There's software and stuff to sort out. I think a panel is next on the list after the camera gets released.

As for the regulator. It's a cost implication. We couldn't get the price down enough with a better regulator. Feel free to replace it with something better if you want, people have done that sort of thing.

StealthLava

Tue May 07, 2013 10:03 pm

jamesh wrote:
StealthLava wrote:Here is my idea for a Model C/D/E...

CPU: 1GHz, 1 Core, 32 Bit
RAM: 1 GB
VRAM: 128MB or 1GB
USB: 2.0 (x2)

Be able to access Firmware chip using the USB Mini. (Turn a switch on.) (Unless there is already a way to access it after a failed firmware flash?)

Give it USB Boot ability. (Or can it already do that?)

Another Idea:
Make it modular. Having removable CPU, RAM and Firmware chip/mini_sd for example. (Upgradable?) (WiFi, Bluetooth and all that can be done with Mini USB devices as always. :3)
The modular idea is a way to make people happy. As long as there is a place to order the parts after getting the Model C/D/E. (If that can be done where people can get the Pi for under $50/$60?)

Thank You for reading this. (Sorry its so long.) Keep up the great work & Have A Great Day! :-D

PS:
Can you guys please start selling the Raspberry Pi's on Amazon? (I want to get the Model B for $35. But all I find is the resold ones for $45-$100. (They say its new. But is it really?))
I think you may be misunderstanding how the 'firmware' works. Its on the SD card - there is no flash on board. So not really possible to have a failed flash - unless you wrote the SD card wrong, in which case you rewrite it.

Also, the memory is shared between the CPU and GPU - there is no specific VRAM. You can split the amount going each way, and with CMA can have it dynamically allocate between the two.

Removable CPU isn't possible in the Arm space - that would require pin compatible devices (and devices with pins!) and they don't exist. RAM is also a problem for similar reasons.
So basically, my firmware SD Card idea is already implemented into the Pi. (Before I ever got the idea. :3) I am very happy that its already a feature of the Pi. :-D

As for USB boot. I found something called BerryBoot. ^u^

DirkS

Tue May 07, 2013 11:38 pm

As for USB boot. I found something called BerryBoot. ^u^
It still boots from an SD card. Only the OS partition is moved to a USB connected medium.
And there's nothing really special about it. I (and loads of other Pi users) do this on all my Pis without using Berryboot.

Gr.
Dirk.

Constantin

Wed May 08, 2013 10:46 am

I want the next raspberry pi model have an ARMv7 CPU, like Cortex-A7.

Jessie

Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 pm

I think the model c should just be a model b that comes with a SD card and a good PSU. That would make life easier for me.

SimonSmall

Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 pm

I keep coming back to this thread, and I still don't see the point of it; sometimes it is amusing though.

Unless you plug in Composite and HDMI, one side has no connectors sticking out. The USB Hub works well for me when I need peripherals, but mostly I use headless. I don't need a RTC as it gets time from the internet, and I don't want bits that I don't use. Let me use the Pi as the central part of a construction set and I'll add the bits I want. I have seen sloppy code that runs well on a powerful computer, but making code run on a Pi is a real learning challenge; it encourages people to avoid lazy habits

My wishes for the current Pi are all software centred. The Pi community is working wonders with stretching what we have and it shows no sign of slowing down. Perhaps someone can start a thread about what the community should be working on with a realistic chance of success ;)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 08, 2013 9:06 pm

The12stringwizard wrote:AND PLEASE ROUND THE EDGES OF THE BOARD! WHEN PEOPLE BUY RPI's THEY WANT TO FIT IT IN AN ALTOIDS TIN!
IMHO only some strangely obsessed Americans have some bizarre reason to fit small electronic devices in Altoids cans, not even most Brits have such an abberation, even though Altoids is a British brand! :shock:
Why must it be Altoids? why not any other can which has fitted any other food product :?: :?: :?: :?: Yeah, I know they are often used as cheap containers for fish-hooks and paperclips and other such stuff, but still I don't get why it must be an Altoids can? Must be some culturally induced meme invented by Altoids to sell more of their mints. :lol:

There are plenty of alternatives! http://www.sweet-ideas.co.uk/promotiona ... hinged-box

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Altoids cans, unless bought full of curiously strong mints are very expensive.

It is a strong and very long-running meme. Radio Hams have been building transmitters in Altoids tins for a very long time. It has come to symbolise impossibly clever DIY compact electronics.

http://electronics-diy.com/electronic_s ... php?id=812

OtherCrashOverride

Thu May 09, 2013 3:50 am

IMHO only some strangely obsessed Americans have some bizarre reason to fit small electronic devices in Altoids cans
We don't understand why you guys have some bizarre need to put everything into old fashioned police boxes! ;)

breaker

Thu May 09, 2013 4:41 am

Altoids are the only product of that general size, with a hinged lid, that can be found in almost any store.

But I would want an insulating layer under the board in case of shorts.

Round your own corners with tools.... carefully?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 pm

OtherCrashOverride wrote:
IMHO only some strangely obsessed Americans have some bizarre reason to fit small electronic devices in Altoids cans
We don't understand why you guys have some bizarre need to put everything into old fashioned police boxes! ;)
You guys? I think you are not talking about me! Where I live we do not have police boxes! The only time I've ever seen one was when I went over the channel to the UK on holiday. :lol:
Oh, and on Britisch TV series, like "Doctor Who", obviously.

honda4life

Wed May 15, 2013 8:17 pm

Cheap improvements:
- More efficient power regulators, when always on the cost is earned back quite fast.
- Possibility to shut off ethernet.
- RTC

More expensive improvements.
- Wifi / Bluetooth chip

Return to “General discussion”