Emanuele

Re: Gamepad, 40 columns, retail, etc...

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm too very excited about this project, I think your approach is right and I hope you can pull it off.

Here are my two cents. I think I've read quite a few posts, but not everything, so I apologize if some of this is a repeat.

Hardware-wise, I back the current specs (model A+B) and I don't think that anything should be added, unless it comes at almost no cost. My only concern is about SD output. I think there's a composite output port. You mean this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.....site_video), right? How do you select PAL/NTSC?

Software-wise, I think that the standard distribution should be able to boot with only a gamepad attached (no mouse/keypad) and launch a plain game selection application (no desktop). That should be easy enough. More difficult, but I think also important, is an environment that works well with only a keyboard attached (no mouse) and that is very readable on a small, old TV (40 columns would be great). I'm kind of OK with python, but if I have to be honest my vote would be for lua.

Personally, I believe that this has to go retail sooner or later, where unsupecting parents can buy it as a cheap game console. Later, the kid can push for a 5-10 quids keyboard. I'm hopeful and I wish you well, but the cynic in me fears that adoption in education might turn out to be patchy and mostly rely on a few good individuals. I'm outside the educational sector and I've only very little direct experience, but the little experience that I have showed me that IT rooms in schools stuffed with overpriced junk are not uncommon.

abishur

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Actually, the output is HDMI, but the PAL/NTSC output it a VERY good question (which I echo!) A game system emulation OS? I love the concept!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Michael

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:55 pm

There is both HDMI and Composite output. Not sure about how R.Pi does things but usually the analogue output format is configured in software in a similar way to how one would configure the output resolution. Usually Composite is restricted to SD resolutions.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Michael's absolutely correct.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Lerc

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Now here's a thought, Can it drive the Composite and HDMI independently?

Would be kinda cool to have an option to boot up and have a BBC micro emulator running on the Composite and X running on the HDMI.

Lots of potential options.

liz

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:12 pm

Just asked Eben, and it looks like driving composite and HDMI separately probably won't be possible in the first set of boards, but will likely be included in a revision.

Lerc

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Bother said Pooh.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:26 pm

you could always run the Beeb emulator on the R-Pi's display and ssh in from another machine to do the X stuff . admitedly not as nice as running two displays ON the R-PI but it'd work

liz

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:44 pm

I think Beeb Em will be the first thing I install on mine - for strictly nostalgic reasons!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Quote from liz on August 4, 2011, 19:44
I think Beeb Em will be the first thing I install on mine - for strictly nostalgic reasons!

for which game may we ask? er Chuckie Egg or Elite maybe? :)

you know the best thing i liked about the beeb? the mode with the lines across it so it'd keep your typing level :)

liz

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:52 pm

You know, I was always a Labyrinth gal. My brother is some sort of Chuckie Egg prodigy - he beat my high score by so many orders of magnitude that it just wasn't funny. Elite, will, of course, be going on there (although I need to find a way to pay David for a copy - he still gets antsy about being pirated) - and Ravenskull, which I probably flatter myself by believing that as an adult I might be able to solve!

And Defender, and Galaga, and whatever that space thing with the scary head that went "blip blip" was, and Maze…and Monsters (I know the guy who wrote that).

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:57 pm

The has to be some Z80 love though too. got to get xtrs, fuse etc. on there too for the Big5 games and "wet set jilly"

Return to “General discussion”