User avatar
rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4258
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:34 pm

If I understood Money Box Live correctly...

It's the Distance Selling Regulations, so it only applies to mail-order. They are required to replace or reimburse you to the state you were in before the transaction. You are not required to pay postage and only required to have the goods available at the location they were delivered to, although I dare say a free or refunded postage would be reasonable. It would be the whole kit though.

The clause in the DSR is the one obtaining when the seller is unable to comply with the contract, which here is to provide you with a non-faulty keyboard.

The Office of Fair Trading says this:
Only if it is covered in the contract and the written information
can you require the consumer to pay for the cost of returning
the ordered goods. If the consumer then fails to return the
goods, or sends them at your expense, you can charge them
the direct cost to you of the return, even if you have already
refunded the consumer’s money. You are not allowed to
make any further charges, such as a restocking charge or an
administration charge.

If you do not include these details in the required written
information then you cannot charge anything.

WeUsePis
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:02 pm
Location: Upstate New York
Contact: Website

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:39 pm

NewAtlantis wrote:I don't get it. Why they choose $35 over Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?
I bought a starter kit from Newark for myself and an extended kit for my son. I even recommend buying a kit just to get a known good power supply. Yes, there are power supplies to be bought, but many slap the "for Amazon Kindle" sticker on it and jack up the price threefold. I also think that putting the Pi in a case is a much better approach. Further, any accessories that come in a kit are most likely working fine with a Pi. Also, most kits include a discount on the individual non-Pi parts although at Newark the savings is not that huge, but a few bucks less is always welcome. And I found that the kits are typically in stock compared to the individual Pis that show 0 stock no matter where I looked. And with that I got my Pi within a matter of a couple weeks. I like both kits I bought, but do regret having the Bud Pi Box be in one of them. That enclosure just sucks (sorry for the harsh words, but it really does).
I'd buy a smaller kit with just a power supply and a few cables as I do not need the hub and keyboard/mouse, but find that in my box of close to 30 power supplies not a single one is rated for 5V, most are 9V and 12V. I guess I could put together an adapter as many have already done and shared the circuit plans and parts list.
Lastly, and asked before by others, why do you think nobody buys these kits? Got sales figures?
Our Pi Blog - http://weusepis.wordpress.com/

smiffydotcom
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:56 pm

It all came good for me, Maplin eventually offered me a new keyboard without the need to return the faulty one...

Overall, I'm pleased with the RPI kit from Maplin's. OK some of the kit is "budget" but from a new Pi users perspective it /is/ good value if you don't have all the accessories (I did, but my goal was to give my kid a complete system that was all his).

One of my original gripes still stands tho, to my mind - an RCA/Composite lead should be in the package.
In the last few weeks I've been back and forth to Maplin's buying breadboard, wiring jumpers, resistors and LEDS and for sure Maplin are moving the kits (chat with manager).
Thanks to all for their comments, and to the foundation for the many hours of peace and quiet I've had from my kid due to his interest in his RPI (grin)

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Good result, thanks for updating.

As for peace & quiet, just you wait until he finds the audio output :(

User avatar
Jim JKla
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:13 pm

smiffydotcom wrote:One of my original gripes still stands tho, to my mind - an RCA/Composite lead should be in the package.
In the last few weeks I've been back and forth to Maplin's buying breadboard, wiring jumpers, resistors and LEDS and for sure Maplin are moving the kits (chat with manager).
Thanks to all for their comments, and to the foundation for the many hours of peace and quiet I've had from my kid due to his interest in his RPI (grin)
Contact Maplins they have been good on feedback in the past. ;)

If you go to their website the contact us section has a customer survey at the end you get a chance to add a comment.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

SiriusHardware
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 am

Jim JKla wrote:I have had a good experience in the past witth Maplins both recent and deep past.

The guys/gals at my local shop Newcastle have allways been helpful.
Jim - just a quickie - do you know where the Maplin branch at Allison Court (near the Metrocentre) disappeared to? I went there one evening just before Christmas (2012) and was dumbfounded to find it and the other units there empty. Where would anyone from Gateshead go to buy a Starter Kit now?

User avatar
Jim JKla
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 am

Across the road in the former bike shop you actually passed it. one block over.

The city one is moving beside TJ Hughes as well. ;)

The city one is still for the time being in Pilgrim Street next door to Carloil House
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

SiriusHardware
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Jim JKla wrote:Across the road in the former bike shop you actually passed it. one block over.

The city one is moving beside TJ Hughes as well. ;)

The city one is still for the time being in Pilgrim Street next door to Carloil House
Ah, I remember the bike shop. I didn't even realise that had closed.

I had hoped they'd just moved rather than closed, especially when they were not the only ones to have vacated that little square - presumably the landlord has other plans for those units. But a 'we have moved to...' sign on the original unit would have been helpful.

I'm glad they haven't gone, that branch has always been the easier of the two for me to get to - cheers.

mididump
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:05 am

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:56 am

I bought the Maplin starter kit because the shop assistant was so helpful and explained to me how he had a lot a troubles getting various bits and pieces to actually work well with the raspberry pi.

I thought that this kid was trying the hard sell but in the end I could not be bothered gathering the various bits to get this little box to work so I bought the £75 set and an extra case and the raspberry pi book.

What luck, I found out later that my old usb keyboard/mouse did not work with the pi, my old sd card was not the right size and the book was actually really well informed and not just re-printed old linux commands.

I think what I am trying to say is that if you want to save a few pounds running around with your fingers crossed hoping that a particular peripheral has the right amp/volt setting then go ahead, but if your new to linux and you want a good "out of the box experience" with no problems that are out of your control then get the starter set. I am VERY HAPPY with my purchase and although a few teething problems, overall the starter set is the way to go.

SiriusHardware
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:41 pm

mididump wrote:I bought the Maplin starter kit because the shop assistant was so helpful and explained to me how he had a lot a troubles getting various bits and pieces to actually work well with the raspberry pi.

I thought that this kid was trying the hard sell but in the end I could not be bothered gathering the various bits to get this little box to work so I bought the £75 set and an extra case and the raspberry pi book.

What luck, I found out later that my old usb keyboard/mouse did not work with the pi, my old sd card was not the right size and the book was actually really well informed and not just re-printed old linux commands.

I think what I am trying to say is that if you want to save a few pounds running around with your fingers crossed hoping that a particular peripheral has the right amp/volt setting then go ahead, but if your new to linux and you want a good "out of the box experience" with no problems that are out of your control then get the starter set. I am VERY HAPPY with my purchase and although a few teething problems, overall the starter set is the way to go.
It's a shame the book isn't included in the kit, that really would make it good value.

I certainly agree that the book is (hardly surprisingly) the best all - round book available for the Raspberry Pi, especially for those who have essentially never touched Linux before they get one. It needs to be updated before the next reprint to reflect some changes which have taken place since it was originally published, but is still a great book.

I'm looking forward to the launch of 'The Advanced Raspberry Pi User Guide'. (I just made that up, by the way, but it would be nice to see it some day).

Return to “General discussion”