NewAtlantis

Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:44 am

I don't get it. Why they choose $35 over Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Why is nobody buying Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 am

I'm not sure this is the best location for a post like this because it's not specifically related to the Pi Store. So I've moved you over to General Discussion.

I presume you mean the kit the maplin electronics provide (costing £75)? Anyway, the answer depends on how new you are to owning a computer.

If the Raspberry Pi is your first ever computer then the starter kit is ideal as it contains all the peripherals you need to get going. However for a lot of people, who have been using computers for many years, the necessary peripherals are already lying around in a drawer in their house. With experience comes the confidence to know what would work and what wouldn't. This was certainly the case for me.

In which case you're looking at £75 or £25... which would you choose?

redhawk

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 am

NewAtlantis wrote:I don't get it. Why they choose $35 over Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?
I can't answer for everyone but I didn't buy the starter kit because the extra costs wasn't justified in my case I already owned a USB hub, keyboard, mouse, SD card and PSU.

Richard S.

Mystel

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 am

I did. We have millions of components lying around the house, but in the end with the few pieces I'd need to get to make it really work and work well, it was totally worth it. The Maplin kit is a good starter for someone who doesn't have everything lying around - I know a few people who are also tech minded who have picked one up just for the ease of it (and you don't have to dig around the forbidden cable box making sure you have enough leads!!)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:38 am

NewAtlantis wrote:I don't get it. Why they choose $35 over Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?
I was in Maplins a couple of weeks ago and saw somebody buying one. That's at least one more than nobody. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

mikerr

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 am

How do you know how many people are buying it ?

Are you a sales manager for CPC/farnell/maplin ? ;)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

pluggy

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 am

Maybe because theres a lot of nerds/geeks like myself who run their Pi's headless and need only a PSU and SD card on top of the Pi. A starter kit with all the stuff that comes with it is complete overkill...........
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

metal mark

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 pm

I had plenty of stuff lying around in my "nerd room" as the misses calls such things. Anything else I will got or will get off Ebay or Amazon , your more likely to get it the first try that way.. After my last trip to Maplins I wont be going again.......
Cheers MM

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Heh - I know how many repeat orders Maplin have placed. People are definitely buying that Starter Kit.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:06 pm

Can I ask why you think no-one is buying it?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:27 pm

This reminds me of why people buy aircraft kits rather than commercially-built aircraft - because that's all they can afford if they want to own and fly their own aircraft. So, if your computing budget is $35 and you can scrounge up everything else needed, that's how much you spend.

The Pi is a great way to encourage reuse of components that are readily available coming off the loading docks of pretty much every organization that upgrades its IT equipment periodically. Tax laws generally allow complete write-off of computing equipment within 3 ~ 5 years, and there are quite nice LCD monitors, keyboards, and pointing devices that are less than five years old.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

unclejed613

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 pm

i bought the Maker: kit, which came with a case for the Pi, power supply 4G SD card, HDMI cable, A/V cables, GPIO cable, and a proto board with some components. i also bought a mouse and keyboard for it, since i wasn't planning on using it headless just yet

smiffydotcom

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:41 pm

We got one as a xmas present for our eldest kid, primarily so all the contents were "theirs" despite me having loads of PC bits and pieces to hand. We purchased it online and had it sent to "grannies" as that was where we would be for Xmas... fine so far.

Packaging states "Everything you need to get started with Raspberry Pi".... WRONG, come xmas day, we opened the box - Hmmmm no RCA composite lead (grannies TV has a composite in, but no HDMI.) Try buying a lead on xmas day..... It was a 60 mile round trip to go home and get one to get over the MAJOR disappointment.

The quality of the peripherals was budget to say the least... The keyboard failed in days.... But Maplins wont replace the keyboard because , quote from maplins customer service
"You are able to return goods to any Maplin retail store, providing the goods remain in their original condition, accompanied by the proof of purchase and within 28-days of purchase"

So the keyboard can never be it its original condition cos it failed, and the 28 days start at purchase date.... (we bought it in November) Then came the next joke.....

quote "We would need the entire kit returned as we do not stock these keyboards on their own"

So I have to pry the kit from our kid, dismantle it from the optional case we bought and then get it swopped (if we were inside the 28 days). cant they just swop the keyboard from another kit? doh

Oh, just in passing, its not even the latest revision Pi, its a series 1, chinese made version...

Yes, the Pi is great - Maplins service isn't.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Thats a bit of a shame, I guess Maplin just presumed everyone would be using HDMI screens. You could also have used any phono lead, like from the back of a record deck for instance. I know thats not much help to you now. What did you do in the end, buy a new keyboard?

jamesh

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:50 pm

smiffydotcom wrote:We got one as a xmas present for our eldest kid, primarily so all the contents were "theirs" despite me having loads of PC bits and pieces to hand. We purchased it online and had it sent to "grannies" as that was where we would be for Xmas... fine so far.

Packaging states "Everything you need to get started with Raspberry Pi".... WRONG, come xmas day, we opened the box - Hmmmm no RCA composite lead (grannies TV has a composite in, but no HDMI.) Try buying a lead on xmas day..... It was a 60 mile round trip to go home and get one to get over the MAJOR disappointment.

The quality of the peripherals was budget to say the least... The keyboard failed in days.... But Maplins wont replace the keyboard because , quote from maplins customer service
"You are able to return goods to any Maplin retail store, providing the goods remain in their original condition, accompanied by the proof of purchase and within 28-days of purchase"

So the keyboard can never be it its original condition cos it failed, and the 28 days start at purchase date.... (we bought it in November) Then came the next joke.....

quote "We would need the entire kit returned as we do not stock these keyboards on their own"

So I have to pry the kit from our kid, dismantle it from the optional case we bought and then get it swopped (if we were inside the 28 days). cant they just swop the keyboard from another kit? doh

Oh, just in passing, its not even the latest revision Pi, its a series 1, chinese made version...

Yes, the Pi is great - Maplins service isn't.
Hmm, that's a bit daft by Maplin...it's their costs that's mount because of stupid returns decisions like this. As to the Pi version, many are still made in China - all from RS and some from Farnell, so that's not unusual.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Ravenous

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 pm

smiffydotcom wrote:The quality of the peripherals was budget to say the least... The keyboard failed in days.... But Maplins wont replace the keyboard because , quote from maplins customer service
Hang on, this is a common misunderstanding. They're saying you can return it unused in 28 days, that's if you bought it in error or decided you didn't want to start using it.

In your case you got defective goods (the keyboard). The good news is you should be able to return the whole lot for a refund or replacement (I forget the legal details of which, but google for your rights under the sale of goods act, I think that's it, in the UK.)

The bad news though, is you WILL have to return the whole kit and they will probably try to be evasive at first.

(I used to use Maplin many years ago; but their service went downhill so I went elsewhere. Thank you for reminding me why.)

mediakill

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:06 pm

While there are people who i'm certain bought the starter kit you mentioned i'm certain even more didn't see the point in paying extra for a overpriced collection of basic extras just to start use the pi normally, especially when most already had them already on hand. Most users bought it because it was a 35 dollar mini pc and would rather not have the price crawl to nearly 100 or so. I just used a micro usb and extra hdmi lying around, all i bought was a case and extra sd card and using a normal usb mouse/kb i already had. Even then was a bit peeved at spending almost 40 bucks extra (card and case) Factor in shipping etc and the price really creeped up. Also the starter kit really didn't add anything of value most didn't have already and was overpriced on top of the pi itself.

Even knowing pi's limitations and what was/ was not included it still left a little sour taste having to pay for those essentials just to run it. :?

pjc123

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 pm

I don't get it. Why they choose $35 over Raspberry Pi Starter Kit?

Because a lot of us don't live in the UK and don't care about Maplin.

And as was mentioned earlier, we already have what we need.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

turbine2

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 am

smiffydotcom wrote:The quality of the peripherals was budget to say the least... The keyboard failed in days.... But Maplins wont replace the keyboard because , quote from maplins customer service

Sales of faulty goods can be returned (under the Sales of Good Act if I remember correctly), but unfortunatly they're sticking to the letter of the law raher than the spirit of it. Personally, if they're playing that game, I'd go in, buy a new kit, swap the keyboard and then return the kit and ask for a full refund if that's the game they want to play. Depending on how much you care about being obvious you could do that either next day, or just swap them in the car park before going back in. Doing it in front of them, well, probably satifying but does take the Micky a bit :-)
smiffydotcom wrote:Maplins service isn't.
Can't argue with that. Sadly went the way of Dixons in the 80s a while ago. Good if they've got what you need in stock, but that's about it.
David

Ravenous

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 am

turbine2 wrote:Sales of faulty goods can be returned (under the Sales of Good Act if I remember correctly), but unfortunatly they're sticking to the letter of the law raher than the spirit of it.
Sorry to be pedantic :) but that's not true, based on what we've been told Maplin are trying to go against the law. The item Smiffy got was faulty, in that case the 28 day period and the condition of the packaging is irrelevant. He can return it (the whole kit though) for replacement or maybe refund.

Sadly a lot of the less reputable UK retailers play on the fact most of us don't know the law, they use smokescreens like this 28 day period business. They'll probably wriggle over the return postage too.

RaTTuS

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 am

IANAL ...

anyway Euro law says that the goods can be replaced up to 2 years after purchase date if they break - as long as they where not abused. i.e. normal ware and tear. you will have to pay for postage yourself though
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 am

I think the OP was saying that they were happy to replace the FULL item, but only the full item - ie. not just the broken keyboard (the sensible approach). So that meant dismantling the case etc and taking the whole lot back to the shop.

turbine2

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:40 pm

Ravenous wrote: Sorry to be pedantic :) but that's not true, based on what we've been told Maplin are trying to go against the law.
Being pedantic back :-)
Would indicate that Maplin are willing to do something (replace / refund) but only as purchased (i.e. the full kit). Maplin may not be the greatest of companies but they've been around long enough and are big enough to know that they will have a heavy load of bricks land on them if they do break the law :-)
Ravenous wrote: Sadly a lot of the less reputable UK retailers play on the fact most of us don't know the law, they use smokescreens like this 28 day period business. They'll probably wriggle over the return postage too.
Yeah, I hear that unfortunatly :-(
David

alanrt

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:35 am

I bought my Pi from RS with case and network cable. the only other things I've bought were a "Wireless Mini Keyboard With Touchpad For Media Centre's" from Maplins for £24.99 (I know they are cheaper on eBay but I didn't want to wait) and an HDMI lead from Poundland. The other items in the kit were not needed as I already had an SD card, a USB lead, a hub and a number of micro-USB chargers from several phones, a Blackberry Playbook and a Kindle.
I now have a 7in LCD monitor (£20.00 from eBay the type meant for car reversing cameras) so I can use the Pi as a media centre in the car. I'd like to use the Pi as a basis for a full car computer(connecting to a Bluetooth diagnostic socket) but I haven't found a Linux program to do the job as well as Torque for Android and Android ports for the Pi are still not available)

So I didn't buy the kit as I already had or preferred alternative items. By the way Poundland HDMI cables are a bargain. I can't believe other people pay such ridiculous sums for them

Jim JKla

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:11 pm

I have had a good experience in the past witth Maplins both recent and deep past.

The guys/gals at my local shop Newcastle have allways been helpful.

Although one day I did see a costomer getting heated about a refused return.

It may have been this guys attitude that agrivated the staff he got my back up and I was just an observer. ;)

It was not a RPi BTW it was some home alarm kit stuff.

I see the Maplins kit as a good buy if you don't have the rest or if you want to give it as a present and you don't know what kit the recipient has.

Sales must be fairly good my local shop never has stock for long
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Return to “General discussion”