Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Micro Live (BBC 1987) final programme (complete)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:05 pm

After seeing the post on the home page about Google buying 15,000 units to take into schools I thought to myself... oh my god yes, it's actually gonna happen. I never really had any doubt but I always wondered if some prejudiced technophobic politician might screw it all up.

So then the next thing I thought was that we need a TV show like this again…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR08vi64GDQ

jonv

Re: Micro Live (BBC 1987) final programme (complete)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 pm

added to my YouTube watch later list to join the first episode of Micro Live (1983)

Googles YouTube will be a great place for the 2013 equivalent :D

gritz

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Crikey, after goodness knows how many years I still remember the theme (and the owl!). One thing that strikes me now is that anything seemed possible (and indeed likely) back then. While everything's a lot prettier now (and cheaper, easier, faster, smaller, etc), underneath it's all still very much the same (perhaps embarrassingly so, imo). The shockingly uninspired contents of my spambox every morning demonstrate that any kind of artificial intelligence is still a long way off! Perhaps in another quarter of a century we'll have figured out how to give the qwerty keyboard the slip for good. ;)

The Acorn was quite a piece of work though - even if it did get a touch of stage fright (echoes of Tomorrow's World there). A RISCOS for the 21st century would be no bad thing imo. [/rambling old man mode]

Anyway, thanks for posting the link, Davespice. :)

Mr.Dave

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:02 am

gritz wrote:Crikey, after goodness knows how many years I still remember the theme (and the owl!). One thing that strikes me now is that anything seemed possible (and indeed likely) back then. While everything's a lot prettier now (and cheaper, easier, faster, smaller, etc), underneath it's all still very much the same (perhaps embarrassingly so, imo). The shockingly uninspired contents of my spambox every morning demonstrate that any kind of artificial intelligence is still a long way off! Perhaps in another quarter of a century we'll have figured out how to give the qwerty keyboard the slip for good. ;)

The Acorn was quite a piece of work though - even if it did get a touch of stage fright (echoes of Tomorrow's World there). A RISCOS for the 21st century would be no bad thing imo. [/rambling old man mode]

Anyway, thanks for posting the link, Davespice. :)
My first computer was an Acorn Electron, loved it, especially simple basic programming and most of all "Chuckie Egg" !

Robert_M

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 am

I missed this show, but I *did* catch the earlier show, 1982's "The Computer Programme" - whose theme music was the song "Computer World" from the 1981 Kraftwerk album of the same name.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Return to “General discussion”