BugBytes

Help with getting started

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 pm

I own a Raspberry Pi Model B and a Transcend Class 10 8GB SD card. I installed the raspbian wheezy OS onto the SD card using dd in Terminal (Mac user running 10.7.5 Lion), but when I plug the SD card, display, and power cord in, the PWR light and the ACT light turn on, but I get no text scrolling or bootup sequence. The same thing happens when I plug in my Ethernet cable to it. I think we're using DHCP for Ethernet where I'm trying this now.

Any help?

gragib

Re: Help with getting started

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Step 1 is to check if the image copied successfully to the SD card. Insert the SD card into your Mac and see if the boot partition mounts in Finder. It is a FAT32 partition, so your Mac should be able to see it.

Also, the Raspberry Pi is very very picky about SD cards. I have a 4GB SD card that came with my DSLR. It works with 3 Raspberry Pis I have, but the fourth one refuses to boot with this card.

BugBytes

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 pm

I need to reimage, because my Mac will not read the SD card ("The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer."). I'll reimage with dd and try again. Does the Pi need Ethernet to be connected to boot?

dextrus

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 pm

BugBytes wrote:I need to reimage, because my Mac will not read the SD card ("The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer."). I'll reimage with dd and try again. Does the Pi need Ethernet to be connected to boot?
No, it doesn't, at least with any of the Operating System's I have tried.

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

BugBytes

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:17 am

Reflashed the SD card and it now works. I still haven't gotten to a fully functional workstation due to problems with USB peripherals but the OS is now functional. Thanks guys!

Return to “General discussion”