abishur

Re: Logo ideas

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Quote from liz on August 3, 2011, 21:09
Quote from abishur on August 3, 2011, 19:50
(Also I really like the idea of the darker lines between the druplets making the outline of the pi symbol :) )

I like the fact that you know what a druplet is! I have suspicion that a random sampling from this board would make for an awesome pub quiz team.

To be fair, I only know that because I was obsessed with calling a cluster of R-Pis whatever the bump on a raspberry were (my sense of humor still makes me laugh at the thought of people making druplets!). It took a lot of hunting but I finally found a site telling me what it is was!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

MDC

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I have just learnt how to post photo's on the forum aswell, keep that in mind. ;)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 pm

ok it looks like we have a sort of concencious(sp?) either a slice of pie with raspberries in it (1 idea) or a raspberry with the pi symbol in or on it in some way (lots of ideas -- 1, 2, many -- i only have two hands so can't count above that) so i guess as a first temperory logo until liz starts the contest we work off the latter idea for all our new attempts at old master status

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:29 am

ok I couldn't sleep (cat decided that my pillow is actually his property and my head is not allowed on it) so had another think about the logo.

what about something like this?

basically the pi symbol as a shadow cast by the raspberry or something along those lines

update: printed off all the logo ideas we've had so far and had a long stare at them and i think it's between this one and the one of the ones with the pi symbol made by colouring the druplets (almost my second favourite word now :) ) but that's just my opinion. anyone got any comments?

abishur

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:45 am

I kind of like the subtly of the pi shadow, very creative!

MDC

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:25 am

Wow, you two have know all of a sudden turned into art critics.

What does the raspberry symbolise in your mind? ;) (Arty talk accent)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:59 am

well the raspberry symbolizes the juxtaposition of the human soul with the futility of life but mainly it's just there as a pink blob because the artist likes pink

gerits

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:55 am

I'v read the full thread and not seen one image that can be used as a logo...

Logo's should be more simple and should be able to be printed in black-and-white (no grayscale, just 2 colors). If I had some spare time left I would make my own suggestion...

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Quote from gerits on August 4, 2011, 12:55
I'v read the full thread and not seen one image that can be used as a logo...

Logo's should be more simple and should be able to be printed in black-and-white (no grayscale, just 2 colors). If I had some spare time left I would make my own suggestion...

Well I do agree with you on a certain level about the need for something that looks good in b&w but logo's have moved on in the last 20 years or so and full colour is the norm for such things these days. You'd be hard pressed to find any logo these days designed in the last 20 years or so for a technology based company or group that isn't at least three colour (although it shoudl look nice reproduced in two colour i.e. shouldn't use colour as a design as a major part of the design effect ). I could give a million examples but pretty much anywhere you look you'll find examples.

However at the moment we are just brainstorming, throwing things out and pretty much just mucking about too, we don't seriously expect any of our ideas to be accepted although it would be nice if we could get something that those with the power in the foundation find acceptable

gerits

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:25 pm

I do have to admit that a raspberry isn't an easy fruit to design a logo. Apple could use the distinguishing outline of an actual apple and everybody recognizes it. But for a raspberry it would just look like a pile of dirt. So for a logo I would focus less on the raspberry and more on the pi.

I've seen the move to 3 tone logo's. For printing on gadgets (and the case of the raspberry pi) it costs extra per used color, so that is why they use limited colors...

abishur

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Actually from what I've seen in the computer industry is that there are usually two logos one that features a wide arrange of colors and shading (even some gloss to make it shiney) and one that's a basic two-three tone image. That's not to say it's black and white. I rarely see black and white logos anymore (minus apple of course, but they're more white and a little more white... with some white thrown in for flavor). Take dell for example, they use blue and white to make their basic logo and that thing gets slapped everywhere, but for digital purposes they use very complex coloring.

Now I admit that most of these ideas wouldn't cut it because we need someone with better art skills to design it, but I'd also think that almost any of them could be the logo. Indeed I'd actually argue that a pure black and white design could not be a logo simply because b&w lacks the professionalism requirement of a modern technology company.

That said, I do think that whatever logo we do, we should make sure that it follows dell's example and works in such a way that you can slap it anywhere. I mean you see that D-funky E-L-L anywhere and bam, you know who it is. Even if it's just raised black letters on a black case, that image is unmistakable. I think the pi shadow one could meet that requirement. But I still also think that digitally speaking as a logo for the company to appear on the website and places like that (or print media for that matter) any of these logos (after being cleaned up by an artist of course ;) ) would be excellent choices.

gerits

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:00 pm

I've only done some amateur logo designs, mostly for students.. But I'll try to express my ideas if I find the time (I'm just very interested in the raspberrypi project). I noticed what a jerk I look like criticizing the designs and not coming up with anything better myself.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Trademark infringement time!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Why not ask them to change the name of the foundation to Research Machines or Psion or Apricot and then steal one of those logo's -- be a lot less work :)

abishur

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:09 pm

I love it!

MDC

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:07 pm

I have another idea but someone will have to make it for me on a computer as I don't think I could do it justice (Photoshop or GIMP).

The colour scheme is green, the red-pink the colour of the berry is and black.

Basically my design would involve out lines of colour instead of full colour.

green will highlight the leafy top and stem all the way around it leaving the middle part white (apart from stem)

The druplets will be reddy pink an will only highlight one side of each druplet, from left to until the centre the left side of each druplet will be highlighted (like a C) and from right to centre each druplet have a backwards C highlight until the centre. Then in the centre it will have reddy pink full circle highlight.

The Pi symbol will be in the centre in black and will transcend the druplets. in the centre.

Sorry I can't make it myself but it would need to be done with some skill to get the full effect.

MDC

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Oh, I almost forgot none of the colours can touch, apart from the black of the pi symbol.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:22 pm

it didn't scan that well and i don't have the correct felt tips to do it justice but i kinda of like this style raspberry (although it might look pineappley but honest i did use pink not yellow for it)

DaQatz

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Is there a time limit? I'm working on one ,but it's time consuming.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Quote from DaQatz on August 4, 2011, 15:34
Is there a time limit? I'm working on one ,but it's time consuming.

i would assume sometime before november although we are just messing around really, liz hasn't even asked for logo ideas yet so i would think you have plenty of time to work on a design

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:05 pm

As i've mentioned i have the same amount of art talent that a brick has aerodynamics but here is a slightly different version of my last idea

abishur

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Hey America has a brick that flew and changed an era of space travel! Well used to have a brick :( (Not that I'm bitter about that)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:29 pm

I was planning on a blog post about this today, but we're having some trouble with webspace (out of quota, and the support ticket I put in this morning hasn't been picked up yet). I'll be announcing the competition on the main page as soon as some space materialises. The deadline is Sept 30 - we're asking for a scalable EPS of whatever you come up with, alongside some other stuff which will all become clear when I can finally post about it!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

liz

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:30 pm

And @ukscone - I just LOVE that you used felt tips.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

abishur

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm

Okay so I really wanted to do a version of my original idea except with the pi symbol fully made out of the druplets (ukscone did a similar version to illustrate an modification to my original idea). I literally did this on the back of a napkin during lunch at work, took a pic of it with my camera and did minimal clean up. (And, as always I'm no artist so there's that issue)

Return to “General discussion”