ds18s20

Re: The Embedded Systems Conference & Exhibition - Silicon Valley

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Will Raspberry PI make it to The Embedded Systems Conference & Exhibition - Silicon Valley this year?

johnbeetem

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am

I went to the ESC (now part of DesignWest "center of the engineering universe") today in San Jose, California and saw a real live Rasberry Pi in operation at the element14 booth.  (Element14 is part of Newark which is the USA version of Farnell.)  The board did have the GPIO and CSI/DSI connectors populated, as we have seen in Eben's front page pictures from China.

The booth people didn't know anything more than what's been reported here.  Still, it was nice to see it in operation and look forward to when my order finally ships.

Allied Electronics (USA version of RS) was also at DesignWest, but they didn't have a RasPi to show off.  OTOH, they did know about it

SeanD

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:06 pm

We should have had a mini meet up.  I was at DesignWest yesterday for a short while for a BlackHat Summit related meeting.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:09 pm

For those interested, I am coordinating hosting of local area R-Pi user groups at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View (where I'm a senior docent, artifact restoration engineer, and historian, including a presenter and operator of the Babbage Difference Engine) once we have our boards in our hot not-so-little hands.  The museum already has an educational program where we provide specially-focused events for teaching school kids about computing as well as assisting teachers how to replicate these events in their own classrooms.

The R-Pi seems to be a very useful element that can be used to enhance this kind of educational program, and I want to encourage kids to come to the museum to play with R-Pi systems brought by user groups and, for the disadvantaged kids, to take their own home with them to continue learning with them.  Once they're available in sufficient quantity, I'm also investigating the possibility of the museum selling R-Pi systems in its book and gift shop, perhaps co-branded with Foundation and museum logos.

I'll announce when we can get together as soon as any of us has actually received their board so we can share.  I'm usually at the museum the third Saturday of each month to give tours and Babbage demonstrations, and occasionally at other times for special events, which would include R-Pi events.  I had a 3/30 ship date from Newark US, so, it looks like I may be one of the first on the block to receive theirs ... after the radio frequency interference compliance issue is resolved (and assuming there are no other glitches ).
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

SeanD

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Jim,

That is great news.  I look forward to it and any support I can give to the Museum which for those ever visiting our part of the world is a must see.

johnbeetem

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:27 pm

SeanD said:

We should have had a mini meet up.  I was at DesignWest yesterday for a short while for a BlackHat Summit related meeting.

Well, there's always the ARM TechCon 30 Oct - 1 Nov.  I usually go on the second day, which is 31 October so I have plenty of time to come up with a costume.  Offhand, I'm thinking Robur the Conqueror -- plenty of time to get the beard right

Return to “General discussion”