KeithMck

Desktop Forum

Tue May 11, 2021 8:56 am

It would be nice to have a Desktop Forum specifically for all the users who only use the RPi as a desktop computer, it would save them having to wade through all the other forums to gain information - just like having the new forum for the RPi400 & the Pico.

The RPi400 forum could even be a part of the Desktop Forum.

RaspbianUser1

Re: Desktop Forum

Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 am

Use your scroll wheel, scroll bar or middle mouse and go down!
Running with a Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB with Raspberry Pi OS with MATE Desktop
Why not overclock, push some more performance out of your computer!
Think before you delete something a stranger on the internet told you to.

Gavinmc42

Tue May 11, 2021 11:10 am

RPi as a desktop computer
The Pi400 wins hands down as the best desktop Pi, so you could say there already is a forum.

A Pi500? CM4 based with PCIe NVMe SSD would be better but it is not released yet?
Wonder if that is coming out of the top secret lab soon?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

KeithMck

Tue May 11, 2021 1:03 pm

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
....& there is no Desktop Forum!

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 11, 2021 1:22 pm

KeithMck wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:03 pm
RaspbianUser1 wrote:
....& there is no Desktop Forum!

...and how many other categories should be added 5, 10, 20 where does one draw the line ??

Maybe it would be easier to have a completely separate forums for CM & Pico and then chuck out anything not Raspberry Pi SBC, Official OS and Official Peripherals related ??

That would reduce the amount of posts you need to wade through :?
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 11, 2021 3:03 pm

WONTDO: there is too much fragmentation already, not too long ago the forum administrators did a purge and removed (or rather merged) many in their eyes unnecessary subfora. :ugeek:

KeithMck

Tue May 11, 2021 5:35 pm

It was also said that there was no need for a desktop version of the O/S, but it arrived a couple of years later. :lol:

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 11, 2021 5:52 pm

KeithMck wrote:
It was also said that there was no need for a desktop version of the O/S, but it arrived a couple of years later. :lol:
The Pi was launched with a desktop OS.

There are just too many fora now, we really need to have another cull, so a desktop specific one would probably not be considered. I'd suggest using the general or beginners forums, most users in there will be using the desktop.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

pidd

Tue May 11, 2021 5:56 pm

I'd love to know the purpose of the deskop version, it does not and cannot emulate the Pi hardware, to all intents and purposes it is just Debian - which I already have virtually unused on my desktop, I've never found a use for it. If I want linux I use a Pi, why would I want to power up a load of inefficient Intel hardware?

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 11, 2021 6:03 pm

pidd wrote:
I'd love to know the purpose of the deskop version, it does not and cannot emulate the Pi hardware, to all intents and purposes it is just Debian - which I already have virtually unused on my desktop, I've never found a use for it. If I want linux I use a Pi, why would I want to power up a load of inefficient Intel hardware?

You completely missed the point the OP is wanting a specific forum for desktop environments running on Operating Systems running on Raspberry Pi Hardware, so why are you banging on about x86 Debian ???

pidd

Tue May 11, 2021 7:36 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
pidd wrote:

You completely missed the point the OP is wanting a specific forum for desktop environments running on Operating Systems running on Raspberry Pi Hardware, so why are you banging on about x86 Debian ???
It was the only desktop version I could think about, all the other candidates are just regular Raspberry Pi's.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 11, 2021 8:14 pm

pidd wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:36 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
pidd wrote:

It was the only desktop version I could think about, all the other candidates are just regular Raspberry Pi's.

The OP stated ;)

"It would be nice to have a Desktop Forum specifically for all the users who only use the RPi as a desktop computer"

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 pm

KeithMck wrote:

So you never ran Debian ARMEL when the first RPi was released, please do not post fantasies:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=772&p=18208

emma1997

Tue May 11, 2021 8:42 pm

As a died in the wool philatelist and finding Pi best tool for tracking collections and info I want to see a stamp collectors sub-forum here. And I am not the only one. How come there is no stamp collecting forum? Stamp collectors should unite and DEMAND a stamp collecting forum!

craigevil

Tue May 11, 2021 9:15 pm

A Desktop forum would be for the various Desktop Environments/Window Managers, themes, tweaks, etc.
Things like conky, terminal themes/tweaks, plank/tray themes, wallpapers, icons.
Raspberry PI 400 Raspberry Pi OS (Unstable) Kernel: 5.10.17-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"

cspan

Tue May 11, 2021 11:38 pm

KeithMck wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:56 am
It would be nice to have a Desktop Forum specifically for all the users who only use the RPi as a desktop computer, it would save them having to wade through all the other forums to gain information - just like having the new forum for the RPi400 & the Pico.

The RPi400 forum could even be a part of the Desktop Forum.
I agree; I had a thread in the off-topic discussion section about swapping tips for desktop use:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=298973

It did not end up being a very long thread; what's more, the mods have spoken. So I think there's virtually no chance for a dedicated forum for desktop use.

Frankly it's fine with me to have less fragmentation in terms of organizing the forum ... the important thing is being able to find what I'm looking for via the search function.

KeithMck

Wed May 12, 2021 8:53 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 pm
So you never ran Debian ARMEL when the first RPi was released, please do not post fantasies:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=772&p=18208
No, I didn't, because I wouldn't entertain buying into the Raspberry culture until they had at least 1GB of ram, to run it as a desktop computer. :D

I bought 2x RPi3B, then 3B+, followed by a 3A+ because it too had 5G wifi & was cheaper (as an experiment as it only had 512MB ram).
When the RPi4B came out, I bought a 4GB version, & that was a massive improvement; & then a RPi400 when introduced.
(The 2x 3B's have since been given to a code club, as I didn't need them anymore.)

So everyone of my collection have only been used as desktop computers, & I have been evangelizing the 4B/400 as worthy desktop replacements. ;) (For basic computing.)

I used to have to remove all the programming software from the original O/S, which was a pain in the butt, but eventually, the powers that be released the desktop version, without all the programming software, & that has been what I have been using & recommending. 8-)

My only concern is that of those people that I convert, they have problems finding info on here, hence the suggestion of having a Desktop Forum. :)
Last edited by KeithMck on Thu May 13, 2021 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

KeithMck

Wed May 12, 2021 8:55 am

emma1997 wrote:
As a died in the wool philatelist and finding Pi best tool for tracking collections and info I want to see a stamp collectors sub-forum here. And I am not the only one. How come there is no stamp collecting forum? Stamp collectors should unite and DEMAND a stamp collecting forum!
I don't see that as having anything to do with computing, except maybe as usage of a database, & much less a specific tool such as the Raspberry Pi SBC. :!: :?: :roll:

DougieLawson

Wed May 12, 2021 8:58 am

KeithMck wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:55 am
emma1997 wrote:
I don't see that as having anything to do with computing, except maybe as usage of a database, & much less a specific tool such as the Raspberry Pi SBC. :!: :?: :roll:
Which is exactly the argument against further sub-dividing an already cluttered forum with a "desktop" subsection.
The "desktop" questions don't need singling out, they mostly arrive and belong in the RPi400 section.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

KeithMck

Wed May 12, 2021 9:04 am

jamesh wrote:

There are just too many fora now, we really need to have another cull, so a desktop specific one would probably not be considered. I'd suggest using the general or beginners forums, most users in there will be using the desktop.
Could it be added to the General Forum as a 'sticky' then?

(It would just need a single point that people can be directed to.)

bensimmo

Wed May 12, 2021 9:34 am

I just wish they would make the forums more obvious in Your, Active, New post etc.
. So blumming annoying when you go help out for serial or pins and find after a bit of reading you're in the pico section.

Just add the higher forum section to the >> in.. part

P.S. We've just switched an active forum from phpbb to Xenforo. It wasn't much hassle, and from a mod and Admin perspective, let alone the users it is streets ahead, it even looks pretty similar that most got used to it quickly.
It's also become more popular oddly.
Just a little nudge to modernise a bit.

KeithMck

Wed May 12, 2021 11:49 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:58 am

The "desktop" questions don't need singling out, they mostly arrive and belong in the RPi400 section.
But if you are using a 3B/3B+/4B, it isn't/won't be an obvious place to look. ;)

So why did we need a Pico Forum, that could easily have been added to the programming section. :lol:

I do agree that the forums are a mess though.... :D

MikeDB

Wed May 12, 2021 8:36 pm

jamesh wrote:
There are just too many fora now, we really need to have another cull,
And whilst doing the culling, perhaps get rid of, or at least consolidate, some of the stickys. Some places you have to scroll down well over a page to see the new postings.
Always interested in innovative audio startups needing help and investment. Look for me on ModWiggler or other sites that have PMs.

john-atwork

Wed May 12, 2021 8:47 pm

>The Pi400 wins hands down as the best desktop Pi, so you could say there already is a forum.

Respectfully, that is a matter of opinion. I have a Rpi4 8G with an Argon One and an M.2 booting off of USB3. I overclock it and it still manages to stay cool with the fan disabled. I get to use a nice mechanical keyboard. I thought about using a Pi400, but having a nice neat USB3 boot and a good keyboard pushed me to this setup. I have to say I am very happy with it.

Gavinmc42

Wed May 12, 2021 9:06 pm

Respectfully, that is a matter of opinion. I have a Rpi4 8G with an Argon One and an M.2 booting off of USB3. I overclock it and it still manages to stay cool with the fan disabled.
So Modded Pi's need to be included?
Need to get myself a NVMe drive?
The Pi400 wins hands down as the best off the shelf desktop Pi?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Return to “General discussion”