Blast

kind of unfair for early model b buyers

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 pm

I find it kind of unfair to the buyers who pre-ordered the model b, just after a few months of release a rev 2 version with 512mb releases, could of at least warned us that a newer & better version will be releasing after... now I have to buy a new one

Wizard

Re: kind of unfair for early model b buyers

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Why would this be unfair?

The original spec stated 256 MB, nothing more, nothing less and that's what the Pi is priced for.
During production the price for 512 MB, and also availability I suspect shifted production towards 512 MB.

I own quite a few different variants of Raspberry Pi and when I create a project I care very little about the memory configuration on the particular board I use.

Write code withing the limits instead and there should be memory to spare regardless of which variant you have.
Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!

ghans

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 pm

Isn't this kind of what the Osborne effect is about ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:52 pm

"Life isn't fair Baldrick, otherwise things like this wouldn't happen."

(Balders receives vicious poke in the eye from Blackadder).
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Jessie

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:06 pm

I guess if technology was "fair" according to your terms we wouldn't have a R Pi in the first place because we would all be paying $3000 for a 486 because it wouldn't be fair to make something newer, faster, better, or cheaper. All of us would still listen to programs on the radio because making a TV is unfair to people that paid the same for a radio.

The price of technology will always go down and it's feature set will continue to rise. I own both model Bs and I have yet to see the ram pegged. I mean it may happen sooner or later if the OS gets optimized for the extra ram, but as of right now the ram just isn't the bottleneck in this device. The slow single ARM core is.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 pm

Blast wrote:I find it kind of unfair to the buyers who pre-ordered the model b, just after a few months of release a rev 2 version with 512mb releases, could of at least warned us that a newer & better version will be releasing after... now I have to buy a new one
Are you saying you have only just received a Model B with 256MB? If so, that's bizarre. The 512MB devices have been out for months.

TBH I don't have a 512MB device. Not hit any problems yet.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

redhawk

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 pm

If you're running the old firmware then the Pi only has 256MB of RAM enabled.

Check the serial number on the Samsung RAM IC in the sequence is there a "2G" or "4G" present??

(if you need help check http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2191 for photos)

Richard S.

abishur

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Not only is this topic been done to death, it was done to death *months* ago.

There's lots of reasons why this was perfectly fair, ranging from you of your own free will felt that $35 was a fair price to pay for the 256 model of the Pi, so there's no reason to call foul now that we get more for the same price due to the popularity of the pi (something which has far exceeded anyone's expectations), to the RPF as a private charity is under no obligation to discuss any of its business decisions with anyone not affiliated with the RPF, to the fact that in professional business transactions you are bound to agreed upon nondisclosure agreements (NDAs) which would in all likelihood prevent you from telling people you're about to release something big so don't buy the rest of the stock of the old model (which would have just been sent out before the 512MB boards thereby defeating the whole purpose of waiting)... and well the list goes on.

@James from look through his old posts I believe he got a pi in June and may be just finding out about the 512 boards?

Regardless, this thread *literally* was done to death months ago and is just flame bait now. I appreciate any feelings of frustration, but such is life ;-)

Thread locked :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”