Method

Re: 3rd year Computer Science project

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:11 pm

So I'm in my second year of computer science, and I'm already thinking about my 3rd year project. I want to have my project be on or heavily based around the RasPi. I'm thinking possibly program a game engine for the Pi, but I really want some other ideas to bounce around. Anyone have any ideas they could throw at me?

scep

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Something that ties in with the original aims of the RasPi i.e. that teaches programming and/or computing would be nice - or even helps teachers to teach computing. I'll have a think.

abishur

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Read around on the projects section of the forum, there are a lot of great ideas float around that you might be able to do your own version of or make you think of a fun addition you could do to their project.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

mole125

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:49 pm

I'd agree on doing something useful for the foundations aim.  My suggestion would be to take an existing project aimed at kid friendly programming (Ao lice,  etc), port it to the pi if necessary and then extend it to allow easy use of all the pis features - eg accelerated graphics and gpio pins. The other half of this is to develop materials and tutorials that could actually be useful to teachers and children. This may require actually talking to people and real user experience testing not just pure coding. I can guarantee you that a well rounded project with both real coding and softer real world skills will be a real benefit when applying for jobs.

According to the FAQ Computing At School (http://www.computingatschool.org.uk/) are the people working on the official educational material for RPi and I'm certain they will welcome help and will have plenty of ideas in how you can best help!

EricMiddleton

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:57 am

I'm planning on doing some experimentation with the effectiveness of teaching math using the RPi. You could do something like that, it's not terribly difficult and it's actually useful.

Return to “General discussion”