PiSi

New user given sudo access but need to enter a password

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Added a new user and included adding them to the sudo group.

When I am logged in as this user and run a sudo command it asks for the password first time and then runs the following sudo commands without a password.

Never had this for the default 'Pi' user.

Why has this now come up - do I need to add this new user to sudo in another way?

Thanks,

Simon

lude

Re: New user given sudo access but need to enter a password

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Sudo is simply asking you for that user's password, not the root password. It's just how sudo works. You can change this behavior by running visudo and changing the line:

Code: Select all

%sudo	ALL=(ALL) ALL
to

Code: Select all

%sudo	ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
Though it's a little less secure that way.

buteman

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Are you sure it only asks for the password once?
The reason I ask is that I have used linux for years and what has always happened is that sudo asks for your password first time and then allows you do continue for a short time - usually about 15 minutes - without asking for a password.
Each time you run a command within that timeout period the timeout starts from zero but once you have left it more than the timeout period it will ask for the password and start a new timeout period.
There are few rewards greater than accomplishing a difficult task. Just because something doesn't cost money doesn't mean there is no cost. Every success makes the next one easier. Of course that takes determination and patience.

PiSi

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:57 pm

From what I recall, but could be because it was within the timeout limit. Sounds about right though.

Simon
buteman wrote:Are you sure it only asks for the password once?
The reason I ask is that I have used linux for years and what has always happened is that sudo asks for your password first time and then allows you do continue for a short time - usually about 15 minutes - without asking for a password.
Each time you run a command within that timeout period the timeout starts from zero but once you have left it more than the timeout period it will ask for the password and start a new timeout period.

Return to “General discussion”