Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: If you could order now..

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:16 am

A couple of predictions about the day Raspberry Pi goes on sale....

1. There'll be an undigified scramble
2. The ordering system won't be able to cope (Not a criticism, just look at heavy commercial concert ticket operations).
3. Make a virtue of 2 and run the ordering system on an Alpha board. *evil grin*

(I'll just try for one of each initially)

Another thought - What time the order system goes active is important. 9am GMT should be helpful.......
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Rasz

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:01 am

Quote from Rasz on October 14, 2011, 01:57
Initially
2 x B
2-5 x A (USB HUB is only $2, USB wifi is $5 so its cheaper in the end)

but im sure some people from Hackerspace will want them too.

up to 21 B boards after 12 hours. It will probably be around 30-50 boards for Polish Hackerspace.pl

TheWhip

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Qty 2 Model B. One for me to play with, and one for my son who already has a project in mind for it....

abishur

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Quote from Jongoleur on October 14, 2011, 07:16
A couple of predictions about the day Raspberry Pi goes on sale....

1. There'll be an undigified scramble
2. The ordering system won't be able to cope (Not a criticism, just look at heavy commercial concert ticket operations).
3. Make a virtue of 2 and run the ordering system on an Alpha board. *evil grin*

(I'll just try for one of each initially)

Another thought - What time the order system goes active is important. 9am GMT should be helpful.......

In an effort to prevent that very scenario, they've put out the idea that for the first week or two they'll only allow people who are willing to do a buy one donate one actually order any of the devices. For a lot of people that won't stop them from ordering, but there are a lot of people (like me) who are strapped for cash and while I'll certainly add an extra 2 bucks per pi I order (which I fear will only be one at first due to budgetary constraints :P ), I can't afford to donate a whole pi per pi I order. :(

All of which is really to say the initial rush on the device when it goes on sale will be mitigated and they'll be able to fix any issues that may arise by the time they really open things up here. Remember that these are some pretty savvy pros here, not some fly by night franchise who've never dipped their toes into the marketing ocean. ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:12 pm

I fear that even with the BOGOF (Buy One Give One Free, as a charitable donation) stipulation, there will still be a rush for the first Raspberries. Hey ho. I just want one for Christmas; it may be just an A.

However, I do know a few parents who have looked over the site and are very interested in getting the Pi when the educational version becomes available .
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

jaykay

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:55 pm

I would like to order 3x B. One to play around, another one to host some emulators (NES...) and one as a spare part.

7lcs

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:07 pm

I will order 4 or 5 Model B.
Just to play with them and test a few apps on it :-D
I can't wait to get them!

Tomas Brincil

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:32 pm

I would like to order 95 boards model B and 6 A.
Please response to my emails!

https://docs.google.com/a/tomasbrincil. ... 7LKA#gid=0

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:39 pm

We're not taking preorders. The person on the end of the [email protected] address may not have got to your mail yet because we have *thousands* to work through.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Lakes

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:57 am

That first production run is going to sell out PDQ....

abishur

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:28 am

Fortunately, I think that even if it sells out quickly then all that means is the second run comes in quickly and we won't really see a big "uh-oh we're out of stock right now" time window, or perhaps any at all. I mean these guys have a pretty good handle on how the business world works... something about some silly game being made by one of them or some such ;) :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jean_bruder

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:02 am

Hi all !

As I recently spoke with many friends here in my LUG about the Raspberry PI, we could order between 10 and 20 model B at the beginning. We plan to open a "Hacker space" here in Strasbourg, France, to help people to hack the Raspberry PI and other kind of embedded devices. This would spread the little device really well in our area :-)

pavelchun

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:05 am

Dear colleagues,

we would like to place an order for Model A (10 pcs). Is it possible?
And when planning the series in release?

Thank you! Good Day!

liz

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:06 am

No preorders, I'm afraid. We're still on target for the last quarter, but December's looking most likely at the minute.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Lakes

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:29 am

Xmas gift wrapping will be extra... ;)

Yolgie

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:44 am

8-10 Model B initially

kelytha

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:09 pm

2 Model B to start playing around with... more later on. :)

yannoslemanos

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:16 pm

2 models B to start and 1 model A to discover

Beakster

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:29 pm

1 Model A, and 1 Model B for me.

I'm going to be back in the UK for Christmas so hopefully I can save on postage by having it sent there if it's released before Christmas. I really hope that they can offer a good price on international postage though, some companies really take the P when it comes to international postage rates.

etoma

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Hello everybody!
I think i want buy 5 for the Model B, maybe more (7). And I think i would take this with the "buy one give" one program.
give it a Shop in the UK or is it only order?

john jamieson

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:18 am

I would order two Model B's. One for a coworker and one for me.
I would also order a plastic case if it was available.

If they work well, I can see ordering another 1-2 for myself within a year (depending on how much free time I have).

I might have to order more for two other techie friends as well if my first one works well. (all model B)

I wish there was a preorder, I fear missing out on one of the first lot.

riffraff

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:31 am

I would love to get an extra unit to give to my former boss. He comes into our bakery every few weeks. He opened up the first computer/software shop on the south side of Atlanta - Pre-IBM days. We were all barnstormers back then, creating solutions for forward-looking businesses on TRS-80's, Kaypro's and the like. His was the only local place that sold floppies in bulk, so it became a kind of meeting house for hackers. I worked for him as a service tech for a while in the early '90's. We all eventually became tame and developed proficiencies with various DOS/Win app dev products and supported particular business software to pay the bills, but it wasn't the same. I told him about the Pi and I could see that old light in his eyes. We haven't had any raw meat in years. I think playing around with a Pi might just keep him from doddering off into dementia for a while.

mard0

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:28 am

I would buy 1 or 2 model b's. One to play around with as a desktop and one to use as a NAS and networkprinter.

xernobyl

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Since I only want to buy 1 or 2 I hereby demand you to limit initial sales to quantities of 2!

ppeterka

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:35 pm

I only know about the project since 3 days, and I already have plans to use 3 at this moment:

* a B for replacing the innards of a chinese mini netbook (topic: http://www.raspberrypi.org/?pa.....#038;t=870 )
* an A or B (haven't decided yet) to build a homebrew multimedia server-player to attach to TV
* a B for a VPN server and source repository for home usage

But even the low cost, I will have to do some "puppy eyes magic" and do the washing up a couple of times to be able to get the funds... Might also have to watch a romantic movie without falling asleep...

If I were an academic decisionmaker however, I'd immediately get a couple (at least 16) to make students study grids...

And I think if there was an option to preorder, even if I had to pay in advance, I'd jump into it headfirst...

Return to “General discussion”