max1zzz

Re: If you could order now..

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:29 pm

Quote from NAB on September 29, 2011, 12:59
Quote from max1zzz on September 25, 2011, 21:54i [sic] believe there [sic] gonna [sic] put a cap on how meany [sic] you can buy at once (so everyone can get one)What makes you say that? If the goal of the organisation is to get as many into kids hands as possible, is it not in their interest to sell as many of the first batch as possible as quickly as possible - this would (assuming that there is some profit in the units) result in a stack of cash which would be used to place a larger order for the second batch. The sooner the second batch is received, the faster the units get into the kids hands.

Also, consider that for the first batch, the packing, labeling and posting is likely to take more time (given that it's not been done before and the pitfalls have not been discovered yet), so the fewer boxes posted, the better, surely?

Anyway, enough of that, I'm likely to order three Model B units.

I have read a few post's from the admins saying this (i could have misunderstood) and the reason it wouldn't be in there interest to ship as meany as possible is that the intent of the first batch is to get them to modders and hackers to find any faults that have slipped through the net and to see how far it can really be pushed, 1 person having 30 rpi's doing much the same thing will not find much, 30 people having 1 rpi each, each doing a different thing will yield allot more results (hence the second release targeted more at kids will be more refined)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Well, we're probably not going to limit how many you can buy (and we're not really using you guys as beta testers because the chip and layout have been thoroughly tested - although that's exactly the sort of thing someone says before a giant bug appears). But we are going to limit the *way* you can buy them for the first two weeks. The plan is to make only buy-one-give-one purchases work at first, which we hope will limit demand a bit; we need to ramp up production initially, and it's going to be hard to meet the sort of demand we're seeing. This plan's only for the first two weeks of sales. After that, things will go back to normal.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

electrodacus

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:30 pm

I will start with two model B for the Ethernet, additional RAM and USB not important.
Also I will not buy in the first two weeks.

espiritoo

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:21 am

I will start with one model B ... i´m using it for multimedia uses and downloads server ... i will use two or more SD Cards, one for use. change it and enjoy jejeje... 2 SO for any question.

In a future, i wil use 5-10 for my technical stand.

virtualuk

Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm looking to start off with 4 model A's, see how things go with those and providing what I've got planned works out I'd plan to purchase maybe 10-20 more in the first 6 months.

If PoE was supported it would make things much more green/efficient/tidy. Might have to come up with a rack/caddy from one power source to avoid the multitudes of power bricks that would be needed otherwise.

(edit - p.s. these number also reflect contributing to a buy one/give one project. I've always wanted to give back to educational programs. I'm from the UK, now living in the US and the state of comp sci in UK schools appalls me.)

Soul_Est

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:42 am

I would buy one Model A and one Model B just for comparison and show-and-tell to others who may be interested. I'll buy more as the needs arise.

@virtualuk
If you think the state of Comp Sci in the UK is bad, look at Canada!

ivan

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:17 am

One model B for me for the moment!

Burngate

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:49 am

Hmm...If it's only going to be "Buy-One-Give-One" to start with, and the queue's already three times round the block...would saying "Buy-One-Give-Two" get me anywhere near the front of the queue? Let's see, one B + p&p + one Give-One (no p&p on that I assume) = £... What price queue-jumping? Buy-One-Give-349?
I'll have one to start with, then another when I've bust the first, then who knows?

max1zzz

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Quote from liz on September 29, 2011, 17:59
Well, we're probably not going to limit how many you can buy (and we're not really using you guys as beta testers because the chip and layout have been thoroughly tested - although that's exactly the sort of thing someone says before a giant bug appears). But we are going to limit the *way* you can buy them for the first two weeks. The plan is to make only buy-one-give-one purchases work at first, which we hope will limit demand a bit; we need to ramp up production initially, and it's going to be hard to meet the sort of demand we're seeing. This plan's only for the first two weeks of sales. After that, things will go back to normal.

the only thing to keep in mind with that is that kids who want to get one (for programming or whatever) probably won't be able to buy 2 in a buy one give one program.

liz

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Then they can't buy one in the first two weeks. A shame, but it's probably the best of a horrible set of compromises we could have come up with here.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

max1zzz

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:39 pm

yeah i guess so, as you say it'll give you a idea of demand so you can ramp up production. and any compromise would probably just get abused, at least i will get a chance to actually finish my "tablet" ready for it to receive a rpi :-)

Redion

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:22 am

I would order 2+

One for my wife in the kitchen, so she can look up recipes on the Internet.
Second one to play with and program for.
Third to build cluster computer with first 2 LOL

neilwa

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:44 am

I would probably order 1 to start, and then another unit or two after having a chance to settle in. Very happy to buy 1, give 1!

piggy1

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 am

3-4 model A, 1 model B;
and then 20-35 model A in a few months and get them into school kid hands :)

Vindicator

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 am

I think I would buy one of each, would like to play with both the A and B models for the fun of it.
Would like to see them both succeed but have a feeling the B will be the most popular since it has the Ethernet.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

nearlygreen

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:40 am

Two of model B to start with. I would participate in buy-one give-one.

PiOfCube

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Hmmm let's see...

I would probably order a couple of the model A units for completeness and do the rest of what I want to do with model Bs. Not sure how many I could purchase at once though as I am also restocking my workshop (yeah components are cheap but it all adds up). Also buying in stuff I don't already have (older electronic devices for their cases etc) will eat up my budget.

So how many would I require? And this is if they can do what I would like them to do:
4 to fit in-line between my video cameras and a NAS to capture the streams.

2 (one of each model) so I can create a modular system so they can plug into other devices. This will be handy as it would allow constructing systems similar to this:

Between 2 - 4 for other home-based things such as internet radio receiver etc...

And finally... as many as I can so I can mess about with them trying to add new stuff and generally experiment and produce videos/tutorials/etc.

Maybe setup a direct debit option to auto-post a unit or two each week to us? ;-)
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -

Aneldo

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Two of model B to start with. I would maybe participate in buy-one give-one.

liamfraser280

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Looks like everyone is going for model B! I'd go for at least 1 model B and probably a couple more in the future!

veronicathecow

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Model B for me as well.
It would be interesting to see what the ratio of sales were for instance Model "A" or Model "B" BBC Micros etc. This might give an indication of the initial run ratios for this project.

netomx

Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 am

Two initially. I am really excited about this!

Tomas Brincil

Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Raspberry team, can you make something like form for all pre-orders?
I think, it could be very helpfull for you.
I am organizating group-order for my friends from the Czech Republic.
Right now: A ? 1×, B ? 17×
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... MS0E&hl=cs

BlackAdder

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:24 pm

I'd go with model B for no other reason than the extra memory. I'm thinking 5 model Bs: 1 for the car, 1 for the office, 1 for the workshop, 1 to experiment as a wearable device, 1 for the living room TV. It might be neat to use the A models with wireless and install them near free internet sites to run TOR but this would probably require the devices to randomly alter their MAC addresses every 30 minutes or so and would probably be illegal in the USA so I'd never, ever consider doing it. So say 3 more model A's for me.

Rasz

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:57 am

Initially
2 x B
2-5 x A (USB HUB is only $2, USB wifi is $5 so its cheaper in the end)

but im sure some people from Hackerspace will want them too.

jshriver

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:29 am

If I were rich, I'd happily buy 16. As is I'm hoping to buy 1-4. The quantity is due to wanting to build a small cluster, in that respect 4 is enough for the first stage and if it does what I want which seems highly likely buying the next 12+ will be as simple as saving waiting or just buying 1-2 each paycheck.

I think shipping will be the big one in this. If the cost of shipping from UK to US is near the cost of the unit I will probably buy 1, then save up for a one time mass purchase to save on shipping.

So far with my current projects, I think 18 is the total count to meet all my immediate wants :) since I plan to try and use one as a TV media player, and one for my High Altitude Balloon project.

Return to “General discussion”